Noob battery question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbw2019

Reaction score
Just starting out kitting a 1972 14’ mirocraft deep fisherman. I picked up a 9.9 Honda with electric start.

Owners manual specs min battery requirement is 12v 35ah.

I don’t have a trolling motor (yet) or other electronics (finder etc) yet but would probably like to add them in the future.

What do folks recommend for something like this?

cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same boat with a Suzuki DF9.9 remote!

I use a 24MS 625MCA for the starting battery and to run 2 fish finders, lights, and misc.

My Df9.9 does not charge the battery until it gets to 6 volts, so I monitor it with a dual volt meter. Also the manual states not to use a deep cycle battery for the starting battery.

I also have a 24DC 690MCA for my Motor Guide Xi3 trolling motor. I also monitor it with a dual volt meter.

Never had any issues with low batteries for 1 or 2 days of use, always keep them charged.

Misread my manual, the alternator is designed to maintain a charge, not to charge the battery. The charging system turns off to the battery at 6vdc.

66448FEE-693C-4FFF-B0E9-AAF87D32E912.pngHere is snapshot of the manual.

I would use a Group 24 dual purpose for the outboard, bilge, lights, and graph.

If you want to add a trolling motor it would be wise to have it on it's own deep cycle battery.

I run my 2019 Suzuki DF20ATS(327cc) with my Honda 400EX Lifetime (grandfathered in) 120ccA battery from Cycle Gear . . . in addition to electric start and power tilt, only run nav lights, air horn compressor and air-bed compressor. I know what the manual says but I've had no issues and really like the weight savings.
Works for me, since I can't run the boat and the quad at the same time anyway . . . LOL
BTW . . . the battery charges fully to 14.7V

Attachments

• MegaBoost.jpg
    MegaBoost.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 625
PATRIOT2 said:
BTW . . . the battery charges fully to 14.7V

That's 14.7 is the charging voltage. leave it sit -or- apply a small load and it will read the actual voltage of a fully charged battery...12.7v

I can take the charger off and my multi-meter says 14.7 and just activating my digital volt meter on the battery box drops to 12/7

Misread my manual, the alternator is designed to maintain a charge, not to charge the battery. The charging system turns off to the battery at 6vdc.

View attachment 107983Here is snapshot of the manual.
That sounds like a protection circuit to prevent overloading the alternator by charging a defective or over discharged battery.

I just bought a DF9.9/20 conversion and I hope to take it out this weekend. I’ll try to remember to check the charging voltage.

Do not trust the motor to keep the battery charged. You need a good charger/ maintainer to hook up your battery(ies) to when not using them. Two batteries would be better, but you could get away with a single depending on how long your running and what size the trolling motor will be. With more details we can help narrow down our suggestions

Latest posts