Accessory battery not holding charge

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dharlow

Reaction score
I just overhauled my 1990 Sea Nymph 146, complete with rewiring. I thought everything was great, but when I went out today and used my trolling motor for the first time, it ran out of juice within 10 minutes. When I got home, and leaned against the boat, I received a shock. Yes, a literal electrical shock. My question is...how do I track down the culprit.
I have a ProMariner ProSport 12 12 Amp, 12/24 Volt, 2 Bank Generation 3 Battery Charger to charge the accessory and main engine battery.
I have wires running directly to the trolling motor, directly to the Fish Finder and another wire to the rocker switch panel for running lights, spot lights and bait well pump.
Anyone have ideas for how to figure out what the problem is? Thanks

Is your charger plugged in while it is shocking you?

12V batteries cannot shock you.

It would have to have come from the charger. Perhaps it is shorted to power inside, and is now feeding through the chassis and into the hull, assuming it is screwed in.

Any warnings or abnormal lights on the charger?

"Is your charger plugged in while it is shocking you?"

I just went out and tested a couple of things based on this. What I found is a bad electrical cord (from the house outlet). When the cord was touching the aluminum, it shocked me. When it wasn't, it didn't.

Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully it will charge correctly now. :D

MrGiggles said:
12V batteries cannot shock you.

It would have to have come from the charger. Perhaps it is shorted to power inside, and is now feeding through the chassis and into the hull, assuming it is screwed in.

Any warnings or abnormal lights on the charger?

Thank you. I believe you are 100% correct. Hopefully this will fix my problem. :D

dharlow said:
"Is your charger plugged in while it is shocking you?"

I just went out and tested a couple of things based on this. What I found is a bad electrical cord (from the house outlet). When the cord was touching the aluminum, it shocked me. When it wasn't, it didn't.

Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully it will charge correctly now. :D
Could you elaborate on this? You said "bad electrical cord". Was it missing the ground prong, or was the cord in good condition but still shocked you just from touching the aluminum boat?