Portable Power Box

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I'm interested in building/buying a portable power box. This would be to power phones and electronics like cameras for an extended period of time off-grid. I came across this video, and like a little kid, my mind is racing non-stop. :LOL2: I've watched this video a couple of times now, I think I can do this, but the cost and time to do it might just make it smarter for me to buy one.

[media]https://youtu.be/6PJxkR9JqDs[/media]

I know this company makes them, but I want one that has USB-C to be able to power and charge a large iPad, possibly a laptop.

https://www.iceholepower.com/

So the question I really have, have any of you ever made one of these or have any thoughts?

Most portable 'Car Starter/Jumpers' have a cigarette-lighter port where you could power a single or dual-port USB charger of phone or iPad. As a bonus, you "might" even be able to jump start a car if needed. They also have LED lights. What I mean by that ... is drain the gizmo of all its amps for using and charging your handheld/potable devices ... and you might not leave enough amps to start a car. And car starting needs OOMMPPPHHHHH.

Works for me! And mine is old school, I'd bet the newer ones have built-in USB ports. And these ready built are $50 or so. We bring one when Winter camping, for emergency power needs, and in temps to 6-degrees, it kept all of our phones charged for our 4-days trip easily. And we use the phones constantly for GPS and texting back & forth, whilst deer hunting.

Also consider a 'hand-crank charger' AM/FM (add Single SideBand too, for the advanced prepper!) radio that also has a USB charging port. I keep one on the boat for overnights on the boat or beach use.

I had a NECO once that completely left me embarrassed when i tried to be a hero and help someone jump start their vehicle. I felt like a tool when it couldn’t do its job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim said:
I had a NECO once that completely left me embarrassed when i tried to be a hero and help someone jump start their vehicle. I felt like a tool when it couldn’t do its job.
LOL ... I once had the SAME thing happen! But I don't think I left it on their long enough ...

Made a simple one, use type 24 deep cycle battery. This one has volt meter, USB ports, aux power port, 200 watt inverter, led strip lights, and is recharged off a 180 watt solar panel. Battery box is a 24-31 adjustable.

I used a spare deep cycle because I had it, it’s lot cheaper than lithium (lot heavier too), and I can run my CPAP for a couple of days when camping, before needing a charge.

Inverter and solar connections will also fit inside the case, I leave them out when using.

Vented batteries should always be used outside.

F6A62990-ADA5-4E9C-8DFE-AA5814E7E598.jpeg

Made a cable to charge/maintain batteries while traveling.

I use the 7 way plug on my Truck. The 12vdc circuit is only on when key is on, and I think it is 30a.

It will differently maintain a battery, charging is dependent on alternator output, batteries, and other factors.

4880674F-850E-4945-BA74-FCE841A0E6F5.jpeg

Jim said:
Thanks! How do you charge the battery?

180 watt solar panel while camping, vehicle while traveling, battery charger when at home, and when installed in my travel trailer the onboard charger.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are easy to make but take a bit of time. I built a few of them now for ice fishing to power the lights in the portable ice house and charge my phone if needed. Also has a light to find my way back to the truck LOL. I think there are a few vidios out there you can check out to make one. Mine gets bounced around on the ice a lot so my connections are all soldered and I do use a lithium battery in it so it will hold the charge a bit longer. Parts are easy to find on e-bay and amazon. I cant see why some put so many power posts on them. How many things can you hook up to one little battery. The ones I make have the volt meter, 12 volt post and 12 volt outlet, light and usb port. Nice for gifts to friends and kids as I am retired and have the time to make them.

Latest posts