Alternative battery setups?

Trolling motors, Fish Finders, GPS, Batteries, anything Electrical, post it here.
zuren

Post by zuren »

This is tangent to my "Relocating battery" thread...

I'm curious to know if anyone has a 12v battery setup other than the typical, single deep cycle marine battery for trolling motor and electronics?  If so, what do you have and how has that worked for you?

My boat (see sig.) struggles with the 9.9 motor and a decent load in the boat.  The 9.9 Merc (75 lbs.), transom trolling motor, group 24 battery (40+ lbs.), fuel tank, me (175 lbs.), my 2 yr. old (30+ lbs), my 6 yr. old (50+ lbs.), and a canvas tote of snacks and water bottles cannot get us on plane.  I maxxed out at 12 MPH when we went for a ride yesterday and the bow was high.  I was adjusting the trim of the motor and moving my 6 yr. old one seat forward (to the very front seat) gained us 2 MPH and brought the bow down a little.  I think that the motor was mounted a little high, so I raised it 1" (following guidance on how to mount a motor) once we were home; I still need to test this setup.  I think it could stand to go up another 1" but I'm out of transom to clamp on; I would have to look into a jack plate.

Either something is wrong with the motor (I detect nothing wrong) or think I have too much weight in the stern.  A different battery setup that is moved forward would probably offer the biggest improvement for the least dollar investment.  I do not have storage compartments other than a cavity under the front seat.  I would need to make some modifications but I can already see that a typical Group 24 will be difficult to fit.  I'm curious if anyone has used batteries like this:

12v 12AH SLA battery
https://www.ebay.com/itm/131151090450?s ... 1438.l2649

You can buy these in a lot of places so the above battery is just an example. There are other models with varying amp hour ratings. My existing Group 24 interstate battery is 58AH.  Five of these 12 AH SLA batteries wired in parallel would give me 12V at 60AH, and would offer more flexibility with mounting (due to their size).  They should be able to hide in that front seat and not affect much, if any, flotation.  My group 24 battery is 4 years old at this point, so I may be needing a new battery soon anyway.  The cost of 5 SLAs vs. the cost 1 group 24 is around the same.

The other option I have found is a Tracker Lithium:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/tracker ... ne-battery

The Group 24 battery weighs 15 lbs.  The cost is extreme and that 15 lbs. would still be in the stern.

There are other more extreme options - covert 9.9 to a 15HP engine, or new/different 15HP engine (Tohatsu has a 95 lb. 15HP 4-stroke now). Both options are expensive. I keep coming back to that a different battery arrangement would benefit the boat no matter what engine is on it.

Anyway, just trying to think out loud and out of the box.  Thanks for any input! 
1974 14' Smokercraft w/ 1986 Mercury 9.9HP 2-stroke
Project: Old Mirro for the pond

KMixson

Post by KMixson »

I would stick with the group 24 battery myself. Those small batteries are not really made to power high amp draws like a trolling motor even wired in parallel. The connections on the the small battery is just a tab that is not made for high amps. Sounds like you may need to move weight forward but with the weights you provided it may be best to shed weight somehow if you could.

MrGiggles

Post by MrGiggles »

I think your issue is like you say, more to do with weight distribution, than weight itself.

I had a 14' Alumacraft semi-v (not a light boat) with a 9.8 Merc. With a full front deck addtion, front mount trolling motor, and a group 29 battery under the deck, it would still plane and do 12-15mph. In that case, the only weight in the rear was myself and the gas tank.

That same boat with just the addition of the battery/troller in the back (and a totally empty bow) would not plane at all and just plow at 8mph.

Look up Valence batteries too. These are used li-po batteries from medical equipment. A 40ah is a little over $200.

zuren

Post by zuren »

MrGiggles wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 20:02 I think your issue is like you say, more to do with weight distribution, than weight itself.

I had a 14' Alumacraft semi-v (not a light boat) with a 9.8 Merc. With a full front deck addtion, front mount trolling motor, and a group 29 battery under the deck, it would still plane and do 12-15mph. In that case, the only weight in the rear was myself and the gas tank.

That same boat with just the addition of the battery/troller in the back (and a totally empty bow) would not plane at all and just plow at 8mph.

Look up Valence batteries too. These are used li-po batteries from medical equipment. A 40ah is a little over $200.
This is exactly what I'm experiencing!

Sounds like less weigh should be part of the goal, but any weight I do have needs to go forward...OR a more powerful motor. I could change the speed of the boat from 8-9 MPH to 12+ MPH just by having my 6 y/o move that one seat. Next trip out I'll leave the battery and trolling motor at home and check the difference.
1974 14' Smokercraft w/ 1986 Mercury 9.9HP 2-stroke
Project: Old Mirro for the pond

CedarRiverScooter

Post by CedarRiverScooter »

Not sure of your seating pattern, but maybe get an extended tiller handle so you can move fwd a bit.