rewired trailer lights. need help!! plss help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kemical

Reaction score
ok i bought new set of trailer lights kit, today,, took the trailer out cut out the old wires took out the old lights off.. strat from fresh,,

now,, i installed the new wires,, new lights,, but,, heres the problem:

left side will not blink (when click on the left turning signal). or will not brake (as in the light gets brighter) it just has low red light on

this is the side where the license plate bracket is on,, i have the white wire bolted down on the same nut that holding the license bracket plate,,

now the right works fine,, it brakes, it blinks and it stays light up!!

i dont know what else to do,,

any suggestions,, thanks

kemical said:
ok i bought new set of trailer lights kit, today,, took the trailer out cut out the old wires took out the old lights off.. strat from fresh,,

now,, i installed the new wires,, new lights,, but,, heres the problem:

left side will not blink (when click on the left turning signal). or will not brake (as in the light gets brighter) it just has low red light on

this is the side where the license plate bracket is on,, i have the white wire bolted down on the same nut that holding the license bracket plate,,

now the right works fine,, it brakes, it blinks and it stays light up!!

i dont know what else to do,,

any suggestions,, thanks

Where is your trailer grounded?

there are three grounds,, the lights i grounded them directly behind the bolts that hold themselves,, the front of teh trailer has a white wire says in the instructions to ground it to the trailer,, (to screw it on) well i have that white wire pinched when you lock the trailer on the ball..

could that be the problem,,?? (white wire pinched not screwed on the trailer)

Yep.Run the grounds back up to the plug and make sure you have a good ground on the truck plug.I use my trailer tongue to ground through the hitch on my truck.This doesn't work on all vehicles.

Not sure how you intended to wire but all my ground wires are grounded to the trailer frame with no problems.

will check it today when i get home from work,, i will check the grounds.. thanks guys

check every single connection,, followed every wired,, made sure all my grounds were fit tight to the body of the trailer and still nothing,, its the same,,i just gave up,, and just accepted thats how its going to work on my trailer..

Have you tried a direct ground from the trailer to your vehicle?There should be clean fresh metal under all ground terminals.No rust or paint can separate the ground from the steel frame.

I had to ground the different section of my trailer together. The trailer was not making a good enough electrical connection between the tongue and the frame, so I ran a short section of wire screwed down to the tongue and then screwed it to the main frame. Make sure like everyone said that you are screwing to bare metal. I then painted over the screw and ring connector to protect from rust. Ground problems can be a PITA.