Cant decide on trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chartreusetea

Reaction score
So i have a 14' Flat bottom Jon Boat. The question is, what trolling motor would be good for my boat? Would a hand controlled trolling be good, or would a foot controlled motor work better? Please let me know of any advice you can give, I am really torn between which one to get.

First,don't buy anything under 30lbs of thrust.Purchase the highest lbs of thrust you can afford.I prefer a transom mount trolling motor.You can run it on the front or rear.A foot controlled unit is best on a deck with the pedal mounted in a well.Foot controlled units are always a lot more pricey than transom mount units.

Strictly a personal preference for folks, but I like the hands-free control of a foot control tm, whereas I don't have to interrupt my fishing to steer while slowly trolling the bank. Plus, I find it easier to drive the boat from the front using the foot control better than I can from the back with the hand control one.

As ben2go stated, get the highest thrust you can, and that also depends on whether you're running a 12v or 24v system. I believe that 55lb thrust is the highest you can go and still be running a 12v tm. After that you're into the 24v tm's.

Waterwings said:
Strictly a personal preference for folks, but I like the hands-free control of a foot control tm, whereas I don't have to interrupt my fishing to steer while slowly trolling the bank. Plus, I find it easier to drive the boat from the front using the foot control better than I can from the back with the hand control one.

As ben2go stated, get the highest thrust you can, and that also depends on whether you're running a 12v or 24v system. I believe that 55lb thrust is the highest you can go and still be running a 12v tm. After that you're into the 24v tm's.

You know,I fish hands free with a transom mount.I always cast from the same position,so I use my knee or foot to control the motor.55lbs of thrust is the highest I have seen in 12 volt units.I'm sure there is probably some more powerful,but they'd cost more than stepping up to a 24 volt unit and system.

ben2go said:
Waterwings said:

You know,I fish hands free with a transom mount.I always cast from the same position, so I use my knee or foot to control the motor...

I'm not that coordinated, and would probably hurt myself or fall over the side, lol.

chartreusetea,

Here's a short article from the BPS site concerning tm's:
https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/...29748&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1

I just have another question. Would a 30lb thrust minn kota trolling motor do the trick? not looking for anything fast, just something that will do the job at a decent pace. Would it push 2-3 people at a time at a decent speed?

chartreusetea said:
I just have another question. Would a 30lb thrust minn kota trolling motor do the trick? not looking for anything fast, just something that will do the job at a decent pace. Would it push 2-3 people at a time at a decent speed?

As a main means of propulsion you will need at least a 55lbs thrust model.Just trolling at the fishing hole it will work.

Thanks for the help! I will have a Outboard motor on it, so the trolling motor will be just to go along the fishing spots. Thanks for the help everyone!

Would a 30lb Thrust Minn Kota trolling motor work? just to move around fishing spots steadily and quietly?

chartreusetea said:
Would a 30lb Thrust Minn Kota trolling motor work? just to move around fishing spots steadily and quietly?
If this is what you already have or have the funds for then yes a 30lb TM will work for you around fishing spots. As the others have said one with more thrust would be better. I used a Minn Kota 36lb on a 12' jon and it was plenty with 2 guys, But I used a 4hp outboard to get me back and forth to the ramp.

30lbs thrust will be fine as long as the wind doesn't kick up...
I have a 30lb thrust on my 15' tin boat and if the wind gets above 15mph control gets tough

Wayne

I have a a 27lb thust trolling motor mounted on the front of my 1436 and somrtimes wish it were slower and when on full speed it moves us really well. I feel the main concern is to make sure you have good battery power. Im using a pair of deep cycle group 24 gel batteries and have not run out of battery power yet. For giggles one day I tried a group 22nf battery and noticed a big difference in performance.