• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toTinBoats.net and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Parts for 7.5/9.8/20 hp Mercury

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmk0002

Reaction score
I picked up an old early 80's Mercury 9.8hp for cheap. It's in need of either a switchbox or ignition coil as it has no spark on the bottom plug and possibly other parts yet to be identified. If anyone has one of these motors they would be willing to sell parts off of please let me know. This old motor still has 125 psi on both cylinders so it has lots of life left if I can get it going!

Looking quickly those types of parts are still available from places like marineengine.com etc...even if you don't want to be paying retail prices you can use their site to lookup the OEM part numbers and find them from a scrapper on eBay.

onthewater102 said:
Looking quickly those types of parts are still available from places like marineengine.com etc...even if you don't want to be paying retail prices you can use their site to lookup the OEM part numbers and find them from a scrapper on eBay.

Yeah, I need to keep digging. I looked on Ebay for the switchbox but surprisingly there were only a couple used ones which were still listed for well over $100 and in poor looking condition. The coils and other parts were pretty reasonably priced though.

Looks like a Sierra switchbox is only $150 new, I'd be going new at that point if used is $100

onthewater102 said:
Looks like a Sierra switchbox is only $150 new, I'd be going new at that point if used is $100

I would as well. Some listings take offers, so I may make some offers at 1/3 of the asking price. I've never paid more than $40 for a used ignition component and don't plan on starting now lol.

Thanks for the help.

I got a switchbox. There are no more parts I need at the moment but feel free to message me if you have some and I may grab them as backups.

Latest posts