Captain Ahab Fails to Get the Muskie / Whale

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Well I went back this evening armed with wire leader and some new X-raps. After about 30 minutes of trying different lures and such - Ahab caught something - but it turned out not a Muskie after all.

muskie_004.jpg

Ahab has returned and will continue his quest.

I spoke with Captain Ahab a few minutes ago and he states:

Me thought this be the Muskie yee sought - but Arrrgh, not the fish

Batten the mizzen on the forecastle, yer try works are smoking and lashes for the man who falls to call out

Gamefisher said:
Congrads! Good, because that alter ego was already getting on my nerves.

Ahab will be back when I chase the next new species!

I have never caught:

1. Northern Pike

2. Thresher Shark (and I will be chasing those this year!)

3. Tilefish

4. Marlin (White or Blue)

5. Swordfish

Those are just the ones that come to mind and that I have a shot at catching in the near future

Ahab out (for now)

not to burst your bubble, and i may be totally wrong, but ive never seen a muskie with horizontal stripes, only vertical, and those are tigers muskies.
muskiechart.jpg

not sure what you got though, but its nice.

Derek777 said:
not to burst your bubble, and i may be totally wrong, but ive never seen a muskie with horizontal stripes, only vertical, and those are tigers muskies.
muskiechart.jpg

not sure what you got though, but its nice.

You really think it is something other then a Muskie? I did a little searching online and looked at my other photos, there were similar to the clear pattern in your photo. This was a smaller Muskie (only 24") for it does not have the distinct markings of an adult.

Thanks for the illustrations, maybe photos of real fish might help, instead of drawings -

I hope that Mtnman can help, he catches muskie so he has 1st hand knowldge of what they look like at different stages. I am sure that we have a few other members here as well that have caught this things

Ive never seen markings like that before on a muskie. The body looks right but the markings have me confused but thats not hard to do these days. If I would have to guess I would say a funky tiger musky but Ive never seen that pattern or coloring on the side of the back. Im gonna have to get a few of my fishing buddies involved in this one tomorrow! Still its a nice fish. What kinda water did you catch it in, lake or river? Its almost a Pickeral pattern. Im gonna look through all my muskie photos and see if anything resembles that pattern.

Sorry Dave but that is definetly a Pickeral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A HUGE ONE!!! But not a musky!!! I could be wrong though, although I did catch a tiger before!

Attachments

• MUSKY.jpg
    MUSKY.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 628
I think i agree with Leibs...
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://campus.murraystate.edu/academic/faculty/howard.whiteman/field/fish/fishgallery/pickerel.jpg&imgrefurl=https://campus.murraystate.edu/academic/faculty/howard.whiteman/field/fish/fishgallery/fishgallery.htm&h=263&w=640&sz=31&tbnid=n9lInGBQ1LEJ:&tbnh=56&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpickerel%2Bpictures&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=3

welcome captin ahab

Sure looks like a pickeral to me unfortunetly, This pic was on the link redbug posted....

pickerel.jpg

Bubba said:
Sure looks like a pickeral to me unfortunetly, This pic was on the link redbug posted....

pickerel.jpg
I was feeling lazy today.. I need to rest my fingers I'm leaving for a 2 week fishing trip in the morning

redbug said:
Bubba said:

pickerel.jpg
I was feeling lazy today.. I need to rest my fingers I'm leaving for a 2 week fishing trip in the morning

I gotcha covered :wink: :lol:

Thanks everyone
smiley_finger.gif

I am sticking with Muskie pending what replies I get from the PA Fish and Game biologist and MtnMan's connections.

I have to agree with the other guys and say Pickeral also. I was thinking that last night but I never seen a Pickeral that big. Nice fish though. Dave your gonna have to come here soon so I can show ya what a real muskie looks like.