First rod build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New River Rat

Reaction score
I had talked to a friend recently about getting him to build me another baitcaster for jigs and tubes, but the prices were astronomical. Anyway, I figured WTF? I can do this. I ordered a high modulus HM-MB843-MHX from Mudhole, some American Tackle Nanolite guides, super grade cork and still came in $60 cheaper than his quote using a lesser grade blank. This blank is comparable to a G Loomis GLX.

Anyway, I've let the epoxy cure and mounted the reel and can't wait to see how she performs.

This is a split grip, skeletal reel seat and with spiral wrap guides.

Firdtrodbuild2013001_zps2b46a916.jpg

Firdtrodbuild2013003_zps00cd0766.jpg

Firdtrodbuild2013005_zpsd5be5059.jpg

Firdtrodbuild2013008_zpscd8a901e.jpg

how much did it run you to make this rod i like the plain look of it as well looks professional

Does it come with directions on how to do it and all the stuff you need to make it?

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, but I just haven't pulled the plug on it. I talked to a guy who makes the rods just like you built (well, same blank) and he said it costs him around $160 once all is said and done. Definitely a lot cheaper than buying a $300 GLoomis... not to mention the lifetime warranty on their blanks. If it breaks, you send it back to them and they'll flip you another blank in the mail.

Awesome work too...

Thanks guys. I'm tickled with the outcome. I have 6 "no bling" rods and that's the way I like 'em! Too much additions to a rod, like thread, epoxy, decals,hook keepers,etc. causes the rod to lose sensitivity. I call this low key design Rat Rods. Also, on the baitcasters, when I palm the reel, my fingers are on the blank. BTW, two of the rod/reels weigh under 10 ounces. Not sure about this one, though.

I guess $160 is about right for the components. The folks at Mudhole are very helpful! I could have built the MHX version under $100, but I just wanted to try the HM MHX line. The MHX line are great blanks for little $$$. I have no affiliation with Mudhole, I just like their product.

As for instructions, none came with. I picked up as much as I could gather from places like rodbuilding.org, rodbuildingforum.com, youtube, mudhole and more. I have known rod builders off and on a lot of years. One thing I will throw out there. Invest in a rod dryer. When you epoxy the guide threads, they need to turn slowly and repeatedly. I hand rolled mine and you need to commit about an 1.5 hours to it. I made it a point to have stuff ready to make spinnerbaits while I was turning. I think there are 4 light coats. A rod dryer would have been nice.

Thanks for the info... I'm definitely going to be looking into this.... of course I need another rod like I need another boat.. 36 rods, and 25 of them have reels on them. Those are counting the ones that I gave to my partner with reels already attached.

mudholes awesome!!! great detailed how to videos on their site, thats how i learned. you can make a good quality technique specific rod way cheaper than buying one and its all the better when you know you made it. if anyone wants to give it a go they sell several complete kits for good prices, get one and if you like the outcome then you can buy the components seperateley and have a one of a kind rod. but be careful!!!!! rod building is addictive. and you can make some of the tools needed to build them with stuff most guys have out in the garage and save some money

New River Rat said:
I had talked to a friend recently about getting him to build me another baitcaster for jigs and tubes, but the prices were astronomical. Anyway, I figured WTF? I can do this. I ordered a high modulus HM-MB843-MHX from Mudhole, some American Tackle Nanolite guides, super grade cork and still came in $60 cheaper than his quote using a lesser grade blank. This blank is comparable to a G Loomis GLX.

Anyway, I've let the epoxy cure and mounted the reel and can't wait to see how she performs.

This is a split grip, skeletal reel seat and with spiral wrap guides.

Firdtrodbuild2013001_zps2b46a916.jpg

nice rod!!! but i have a question....why are the guides aligned that way??? thats new to me.

Firdtrodbuild2013003_zps00cd0766.jpg

Firdtrodbuild2013005_zpsd5be5059.jpg

Firdtrodbuild2013008_zpscd8a901e.jpg

Thats the kind of rods I like, light and purposeful. Not really for looks, but still looks like it can get the job done. Have not tried a spiral rap yet but may have to do it for my next worm/jig rod. You say that blank is a sensitive as a glx, is that advertising talk or your personal opinion. If its even close to true thats a deal on a blank.

Spiral wrapped rods actually date back to the 70's and they were a gimmic then just as they are today. If you know how to find the spine (as demonstrated) a casting rod won't "twist" as the video showed. Incorrectly mounted guides off the correct spine will twist.
One of the golden rules is to never allow the line to contact the blank when fighting a fish because it increases drag and will break the line. This occurs when there are an insufficient number of guides or the spacing is off.

Bailey Boat said:
Spiral wrapped rods actually date back to the 70's and they were a gimmic then just as they are today. If you know how to find the spine (as demonstrated) a casting rod won't "twist" as the video showed. Incorrectly mounted guides off the correct spine will twist.
One of the golden rules is to never allow the line to contact the blank when fighting a fish because it increases drag and will break the line. This occurs when there are an insufficient number of guides or the spacing is off.

The spiral guide placement was first patented in 1909 by John Scanlan of Chicago. 100+ years is quite a long time for a gimmick to be around. And, FWIW, all conventional rods twist under stress, this is a product of torque. Spline/spine has nothing to do with this.

An opinion then just as it is today.

Nice work River Rat, I'm a budding MudHole fan myself and we have quite a few builders on here as well.
Just finished my second rod and I'll post it shortly. Jerry :)

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=299678#p299678 said:
johnnybassboat » 12 Feb 2013, 23:52[/url]"]Thats the kind of rods I like, light and purposeful. Not really for looks, but still looks like it can get the job done. Have not tried a spiral rap yet but may have to do it for my next worm/jig rod. You say that blank is a sensitive as a glx, is that advertising talk or your personal opinion. If its even close to true thats a deal on a blank.
Sorry, just saw this. I am in no way connected to any cooperation, so if I make a statement like that, it is an opinion based on experience. Hope I helped!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=301148#p301148 said:
New River Rat » 21 Feb 2013, 18:51[/url]"]
Bailey Boat said:

An opinion then just as it is today.

You're absolutely correct about opinions.....

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=325954#p325954 said:
New River Rat » 13 Aug 2013, 17:43[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=299678#p299678 said:
johnnybassboat » 12 Feb 2013, 23:52[/url]"]Thats the kind of rods I like, light and purposeful. Not really for looks, but still looks like it can get the job done. Have not tried a spiral rap yet but may have to do it for my next worm/jig rod. You say that blank is a sensitive as a glx, is that advertising talk or your personal opinion. If its even close to true thats a deal on a blank.
Sorry, just saw this. I am in no way connected to any cooperation, so if I make a statement like that, it is an opinion based on experience. Hope I helped!
Yeah no problem river rat, I just ordered a hm-mb873-hmx. Will be doing the spiral wrap with fuji micros, first time using both. This will be my new creature rig rod. Gonna bling it up a little with some purple , to match my tuned shimano chronarch with purple parts.

Latest posts