Abu cardinal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrmayo

Reaction score
I am looking for a cheap ultralite setup. I am thinking about the berkley cherryrod 5'6" UL and a cardinal reel. What is the difference in the cardinal 100u and the 101? Do any of you suggest this combo? Thanks in advance

I used a cardinal 101 for my light stuff and I like it for the money. Not sure what the difference is between the 100 and 101, but I think its probably the size....I think the 100 may be a tad smaller than the 101, because I know the 102 is larger than the 101 and so on up to like a 105 i think.

I have a cardinal 102 thats about a year old and I like it, it was pretty cheap too, but it might be a bit large for a 5'6 ul, I use it on a 7ft ul and it works great. I havent tried the berkley cherryrod, so I cant help you there. One question what type of fish will you be using it for? I love using ultra lightes myself, I use them for large mouths and sometimes get some nice fish on them, which is why I mostly use 7ft rods.

the 101 is rated for more line capacity with higher lb test line:
C100U (1114410) 5 R or L Hand 5.1:1 4/100 34.99
C101 (1114412) 5 R or L Hand 5.1:1 6/110 34.99

that being said they may share the same body with different spools.

I have the cardinal 100u on one of my setups and it has worked excellent for me. I have it mounted on a Zebco 8' Slab Seeker rod.
I also have a cherrywood 5'6" spinning rod model CWS562L which is considered a light rod. It is my favorite rod for ultralight work. Specified lure weight is 1/16-3/8 oz. Line weight is 2-8 lbs. It seems to be a little more firm than the other ultralight rods I have tried so you can really get your lightweight bait out a country mile. I also like the hook keeper straight down on the rod so that it does not interfere with your cast or retreive.