Scents????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
Never tried them. Many brands to choose from. Varied cost (per ounce and some arosol, some sqeeze bottle).

Only fish fresh water - walleyes mostly, then bass and sometimes crappie.

All that said, what's the opinion out there on using a commercial scent? Either to help attract or to cover up human (gas, smoke, etc.) scent?

Dare I ask - what brand/scent type is recommended?????

I just read an interesting discussion on my tackle making site, in it one of the members quotes a report that says fish can not smell oil based scents and that garlic oil is used more to cover up human scent rather than as a fish attractant.

BassAddict said:
I just read an interesting discussion on my tackle making site, in it one of the members quotes a report that says fish can not smell oil based scents and that garlic oil is used more to cover up human scent rather than as a fish attractant.

I agree with that BA, But I believe if they bite the bait, they will hold on to it a little longer.

I did an ad hoc experiment with some scents that I had in my bag last year. I found that scents made no difference as to the amount of hits of how long the fish held onto the bait whaqtsoever.

I fished the same soft plastic (my own pour so there was no scent when I started) for river smallies and did not notice any difference with a Yum Scent, megastrike or an off brand garlic scent.

This was by no means a formal experiment and Smallmouth Bass in teh River are very aggresive; they have only a brief opportunity strike any bait as it is dragged past them in teh current.

I still will put scent on all my soft plastics when I bag them up, but rarely add scent once I start fishing.

Interestingly, I have been playing around with scent on offshore Sea Bass and they seem to find the bait faster with a scent added. two years ago I used a garlic gel and last year megastrike - the Megastrike worked far better.

Ive been using different types of scents for the past few years. I use Spike-It Garlic Worm dyes for softplastics. I also have been trying a new product out, called Kickin Bass https://www.kicknbass.com/

I had pretty good luck using the Anise Shad scented lure on my crankbaits and softplastics.

As far as scents go:

Water based scents need to be applied after several casts, maybe even one, but they disperse in the water in all columns that attract fish from farther away.

Oil based scents tend to stick on baits much much longer but do not disperse nearly as well, as they will just float up and not spread out throughout the water at all. Oil based scents are largely for masking scents and increasing strike times (more time to set the hook).

Any of you guys use WD-40? I haven't, but have heard alot of old-timers use it religiously.

Myself, I've got a bottle of the Spike-It garlic dye, Honestly can't say i've notice much(if any) solid difference...although I haven't used it a whole lot.

I kinda think its a confidence thing, if you believe it works then it will feel like it works. I dont use commercial scents, but I believe salt is the way to go. I add kosher salt to all of my soft baits. Does it work? who knows, but it makes me feel better when I add it.

Bubba said:
Any of you guys use WD-40? I haven't, but have heard alot of old-timers use it religiously.

Myself, I've got a bottle of the Spike-It garlic dye, Honestly can't say i've notice much(if any) solid difference...although I haven't used it a whole lot.

I saw something about this on another forum, I dont think you should ever try that wd-40(cant remember why but i know it cant be good for the water), Spike it is where its at man, I esp like to use it on white baits, but works on almost anything

I am a big fan of mega strike I know it works I have caught fish on casts that didn't produce fish on the previous cast without it.
I also use the spikeit dye when I want to add color to the tails of my plastics
WD40 is a petroleum product and will foul the water and should never be used as a fish attractant
Wayne

Cast&Blast said:
I kinda think its a confidence thing, if you believe it works then it will feel like it works.... Does it work? who knows, but it makes me feel better when I add it.

That's pretty much the way I am.

One night, I couldn't buy a hit and I remembered I had some Yum Garlic spray with me. I put some on and I caught fish the next three casts. Just luck or does it really make a difference? I also think it will make a fish hold on a little longer.

slim357 said:
Bubba said:

I saw something about this on another forum, I dont think you should ever try that wd-40(cant remember why but i know it cant be good for the water), Spike it is where its at man, I esp like to use it on white baits, but works on almost anything

Nothing like dipping the tails of a Fluke in Chartreuse Spike it!!!!!! WoW!!! Explosive strikes!!!

Two heaping tablespoons garlic powder and one teaspoon salt in two cups hot tapwater.....stir well and pour some in each baggie of soft plastics.....seal and mush about. Float the baggies on a bucket or sinkfull of hot tapwater for 20 minutes......go outside and pour off extra liquid from each baggie and seal. The scent stays because the water based mix actually penetrates the plastic. Will last a long, long time. It's not going to leave a trail in the water as shown in the book Knowing Bass, by Jones.....but they will definitely hang on longer with the impregnated taste.

I use the spike it garlic on my soft plastics for jigs. And I use the megastrike also. I have honest to god gone down a bank without a bump and went down the same bank again and used scent and caught them. Coincidence??? Who knows but I think it works and if you have confidence in something thats all that matters.

i make my own. i use garlic, corn, and corn oil. i just blend them up and bottle it up it works well for me and only cost me 6$ for a large amount of oil.
i also put some of my left over power bait and such in a the blender and trow some of my garlic oil in and it works well for trout and pan fish.
give it a try.
good luck and god bless.

I remember hearing from someone that he used to use a mix of petroleum jelly (like Vaseline), garlic powder (he said he used the same garlic powder he used to season his deer meat? Or something like that), granulated salt, and some other stuff (can't exactly recall what else). So if anyone is willing to experiment and sacrifice a coupe soft plastics... :D

Mac said:
Two heaping tablespoons garlic powder and one teaspoon salt in two cups hot tapwater.....stir well and pour some in each baggie of soft plastics.....seal and mush about. Float the baggies on a bucket or sinkfull of hot tapwater for 20 minutes......go outside and pour off extra liquid from each baggie and seal. The scent stays because the water based mix actually penetrates the plastic. Will last a long, long time. It's not going to leave a trail in the water as shown in the book Knowing Bass, by Jones.....but they will definitely hang on longer with the impregnated taste.

You know, i think i will try this. It cant hurt, but it might help...

Latest posts