Gregor 1962 fxho project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowfighter

Reaction score
I really should not have looked here. I recently picked up a modified v 19' cc. 90" beam 62" floor. It had a 115 2 stroke jet at one time. I really like the idea of a four stroke jet ski motor on it.
After reading the builds from psg-1 and Botswana I am looking for a used yamaha fxho...maybe there is something better as of late? It looks like something in the range of 140 to 160 hp is right in there.

There are many good four stroke units available today, the 1800cc Yamaha engine immediately comes to mind and I hope we see a build using this engine soon.

Regarding the 160HO, I only have 12 hrs with this engine in the boat (many more in a Jet Ski) and to date it has exceeded my every expectation.
My build is however a good way from finished, but if I can resolve the noise and reverse issues will certainly have achieved all initial goals. (Shallow draft, quick to plane, reasonable top end, reasonable load capability, reliable and easy to use.)
The 160 HO is super smooth, starts easy, is fuel efficient,relatively quiet, and very reliable.
It has powered my light 2072 hull with ease at better speeds and loads that I anticipated, this engine must certainly be a strong contender for your build.
I have a long association with Yamaha, and their build quality and performance are legendary.

Having said that I happily fly behind two and four stroke Rotax engines and have absolute faith in their performance and reliability, just no experience with their Jet Ski's.

Good luck with your build

Thanks for the input. I will look at the 1800 as well. It will take me a while to collect the parts. We do have a good salvage auction around here for skis. It seems as though reverse is weak,point in most builds.

You definitely can't go wrong with the FXHO engine. Mine has been an excellent power plant for my jet boat, and reliable enough, I'm not afraid to take it to very remote places, either.

Latest posts