25hp Mercury 4stroke questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColtonS

Reaction score
I'm looking for input on what everybody thinks of the 25hp Mercury 4strokes. I'm currently running a 2 cylinder 25hp evinrude on a 1544 .100 gauge alweld and I'm looking to upgrade to a newer motor. Right now I plane out pretty quick and run mid 20's and I've heard the 4 strokes plane a little slow but push a load pretty good. If anybody has any experience with them I'd sure love your input. I'm restricted to a 25hp limit so anything bigger is not an option and the new tohatsu's are a little pricey for me or I wouldn't even consider a different motor. Thanks in advance!!

I have a '09 Merc 25hp w/T&T. Frankly it is a total pooch out of the hole. I can read a novel before it gets on plane. Once it does it gets upper 20's with two people in a Tracker 1448 Grizzly. That said, it has been reliable throughout. I have never had any issues with it. I have never attempted to improve the problem getting it on plane. I'm not racing anybody to a fishing spot and even at my age still produce enough testosterone that I don't have to compensate with loud or fast.

Merc's get quite a bit of bad press here, particularly by the OMC lovers. I don't know enough to take that question on and it may not matter anyway. Whatever works for you is the right thing but there are at least a few here who repair marine motors for a living and surely know which they see consistently in the shop. Hopefully they will chime in.

Does it have much power on reserve, I'd like to be able to back out of the throttle a little once on plane but then again fuel consumption probably won't be much of an issue with a four stroke.

The tohatsu and zuki are both lighter in total weight so that may help. I've read lots of positive comments on both brands in the 25 and under motors. New OB's are not cheap, but they can be worth the $$ spent when they start and run everytime you go to the water. I've never had one that small, I have a Merc 60 4s, and it sips gas.