Lowe 1448T with a 25hp 4stroke Merc Jet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reedjj

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am looking to put together a small lightweight Jet boat this summer. I have a 2072 SeaArk that is awesome, but just to big for some of these little creeks I want to run.

I want to keep it as small and lightweight as possible so I can unload it from the side of the road into a flooded corn field or a ditch. Or slide it down a river bank.

The plan is to get a 1448 Lowe with the 20" transom, put some slick bottom on it, mount a 1500lb ATV winch to the front, and bolt on a 25hp Merc 4 stroke. its the only jet that legally can go on this boat, and Ohio is worse that FL was when I lived there about the rules.

I have seen that the little Merc 25 runs good on a 1648,, but have heard some people have issues getting on plane with a 1448?? The longer 1648 seems to be the better choice. but it is going to be more of a pain to drag around or offload in some of the places I want to go. Id prefer the 1448 but if Im going to have to add pods or whale tale or some other stuff to make it right, Id just as soon go with the 1648 from the get go....

Anyone with a riveted 1448 and a 25hp merc 4 stroke out there??????
Id like to hear from anyone with a 1648 and this motor as well about there experience.

Any and all advise is appreciated... Thanks

Had a Lowe 1648 tunnel 25hp prop for many years and it did fine even at the coast of NC with three of us, and it got in really shallow rivers in the mountains.

Running a 1648 with 50/35 2 stroke and it is ok with the right setup on the transom. I doubt the 25hp jet would work with it, but good chance it would for the lighter 1448.
https://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/25jet.html

You could change the decals and maybe get away with it? Same size overall as the 50/35, (Would that be cheating)? https://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/35jet.html Both HP weigh the same.

I put this one together for the same reason, lousy access, small creeks and rocky waters.

I just started running a jet on my 1648. It is a riveted boat. Tohatsu 30/20, 24 volt trolling motor, full decks (aluminum), and normal fishing gear. I clocked 24 mph down stream and 23 up. Runs in practically nothing. I went through 4” of water last weekend. That was a bit hair raisining because i have only ran props before this!

Attachments

• C8873EE4-C3B1-43B8-9F56-A544D4F44085.jpeg
    C8873EE4-C3B1-43B8-9F56-A544D4F44085.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 2,990
I have an old Alumacraft riveted Jon boat with an old 2 stroke Merc 25/20 jet. It is a great boat for small rivers. I get about 20 mph out of it. It planes fast and goes anywhere. It runs super shallow. I can easily get out and drag it over anything. I kept mine light. 12 V trolling motor, gas tank, and not much else. I did put an aluminum floor in it vs a plywood floor. There are a lot of days I prefer it over my Snyder.

Scott

My guess would be that you will need to run full throttle most of the time and that can be a little loud with the jet. I hear guys coming up the river from over a mile away and it ends up being a 12-14' boat with a small jet running WOT the whole time.

Latest posts