98 johnson 50 hp spl any good

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gieser121

Reaction score
Hi folks this is my first post ..

I'm looking at a 98 Johnson 50 hp SPL 2 cylinder outboard motor ,my plan was to put a jet pump on it .
I have no experience with this motor so any info would be greatly appreciated ...
I have a factory 40/30 yamaha jet on a 1448 MV Lowe currently am I better off with the Yamaha motor instead of the Johnson ?
thanks folks

You better have a darn big fuel tank. Not to mention that will be quite a bit of weight hanging off the back of that boat, I have one. You will most certainly have to make sure to keep as much of your stuff to the front of the boat or it will have a heavy list to the back.

nccatfisher said:
You better have a darn big fuel tank. Not to mention that will be quite a bit of weight hanging off the back of that boat, I have one. You will most certainly have to make sure to keep as much of your stuff to the front of the boat or it will have a heavy list to the back.

I have a 96 Evinrude 50 hp on my pontoon. It's very light and dependable. I would say it's one of the better old motors out there.
Look up some of lil blue rudes posts. He has one he hot rodded on his 16 ft blazer jet.

I looked up the 98 Johnson, and it still looks the same as mine. Should not be a heavy motor.

Here ya go lil blue rude

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4627

If I am not mistaken the motor weighs around 190#. That boat is rated for a 30HP motor. His boat, he can do as he pleases. As far as the motor they were good motors, but I'll promise you on a jet it will be loud and a fuel hog, count on that.

nccatfisher said:
If I am not mistaken the motor weighs around 190#. That boat is rated for a 30HP motor. His boat, he can do as he pleases. As far as the motor they were good motors, but I'll promise you on a jet it will be loud and a fuel hog, count on that.

I don't disagree with you too much. The Yamaha 40 hp is listed as weighing 219 pounds (including jet pump assembly). Loud? I guess I'm used to it and I don't pay much attention to fuel economy. I believe a 50 hp with a jet would be 35 hp.
To be honest, I just really like the old Evinrude/Johnson motors.

Thanks for the input guys , I was just asking for input on a 98 Johnson 50spl because I can pick one up for $1k that's in really nice shape and I've heard that you can really make them scream or that they rev out faster and lighter than a 3 cylinder Yamaha that I currently use ...
My Yamaha started life as a 40hp and I've since put 50 carbs on it, CC reeds and 50 exhaust tuner
and was thinking of a phase kit from Hydrotec ,they claim ten more hp .If anyone has experience with those kits I'm all ears
I have my fuel tank forward on the boat a HS handle just behind the center bench the boat sits fairly level and gets on plane easily ,It moves along pretty well 32mph with just me and around 26 with my wife, two labs and our gear ,but you know how it is always looking for more power ....

The OMCs are good motors and obviously you aren't worried about fuel consumption so it may be worth it. I would bet when it is all said and done there won't be 2-3 MPH difference one way or another when you get through.

My 1448 is the wide open hull design, it doesn't have the middle seats in it. I moved both batteries under the front where you step on the boat and made a 10 gallon built in fuel tank that goes all the way across that area to have all my weight up front. I have power trim and a 5" setback on mine as I run in shallow water with quite a bit of debris at night hunting. It makes a big difference to have mine as level as possible when I am easing around not on plane.

Oh I just reread your original post, I thought we had the same boat, I was incorrect. Mine is a Grizzly.

gieser121 said:
Thanks for the input guys , I was just asking for input on a 98 Johnson 50spl because I can pick one up for $1k that's in really nice shape and I've heard that you can really make them scream or that they rev out faster and lighter than a 3 cylinder Yamaha that I currently use ...
My Yamaha started life as a 40hp and I've since put 50 carbs on it, CC reeds and 50 exhaust tuner
and was thinking of a phase kit from Hydrotec ,they claim ten more hp .If anyone has experience with those kits I'm all ears
I have my fuel tank forward on the boat a HS handle just behind the center bench the boat sits fairly level and gets on plane easily ,It moves along pretty well 32mph with just me and around 26 with my wife, two labs and our gear ,but you know how it is always looking for more power ....

As much as I'm an old omc fan I run a 1991 evinrude triple 70hp with a jet, I don't know that I would recommend the switch from what you got. It sounds like you made your yamaha a 50hp and essentially maybe little more. You won't see a marketable difference with the omc twin. It is a good motor the little omc twins are great, that 50hp could be modded for a little more power, but probably not anymore or better than your current yam. I think fuel consumption would be similar to your yam both are close in displacement and carb two strokes. I don't think the fuel consumption is bad on the 2 or 3 cylinder omc's. People posting that have clearly never run a v4 or v6 two stroke of any kind. Sure four chokes are better on fuel, but the omc twin isn't that bad on gas. Sure a two stroke jet is a little noisy, but I don't think it's bad music to my ears at least. Both the engines are going spin the same size impeller so turning the same rpms each one will move the same amount of water. I don't have experience with the hydrotec or their kit, what all does the kit come with or what do they do? Your yam would respond to similar mods the omc twin would as in shaving the head to bump compression, porting a little, bigger carb and bell shaped slightly shorter tuner. Bluerude has hopped his up and triples he rebuilt his did port work, I know he shaved the cylinder head among modifying the exhaust tuner. But the work you'd do to the omc twin to make it a real screamer you could do to your yam that you already have.

If I didn't already have a motor I'd go with the Omc but there won't be enough of a difference to justify the switch from Yamaha to omc. Pretty much all the mods you can do to the omc you could do to your yamaha. As far as the hydro Tec kit your probably money ahead to just have them cut a head since you have carbs, reeds, and exhaust already.

The factory 40/30 jet is going to weigh less than the OMC, I cant see a good reason to swap it.

Latest posts