Finally getting a new (to me) tin boat, a 1436

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydrilla

Reaction score
At risk of jinxing myself by posting about it before I've picked it up, I'm going to write about the boat I am scheduled to pick up Friday. I'm so excited that I've gotta tell somebody :D I do plan on using it as a little bass rig, so I'll put a deck on the front and a bow mounted TM, at least. I know all about the CG on a boat this size, and I know it's borderline too narrow, so I'll make sure to do a lot of planning before just slapping a deck on it. I haven't had a boat since I got out of tournament fishing in '02 (health reasons) and got rid of my Skeeter ZX225. Hey, the fish won't know the difference! I will use this thread to post my progress. In the mean time, here's the boat, and my new fishing partner, Shelby. She is a 5 month old Corgi mix that I've had since the beginning of the Summer.

Attachments

• 100_1275.jpg
    100_1275.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 8,323
  • 100_1274.jpg
    100_1274.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 8,323
  • shelby.jpg
    shelby.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 8,323
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 8,323
Good looking boat, and seems that you have a good partner to get the work done! Looks like you have a lot of work ahead, as do i. Keep us updated with some pictures.

Thanks y'all! MAN, Friday is taking a looong time to get here! I am more excited about getting this boat than I was most of the high dollar fiberglass rigs I've owned. Maybe it's because I've gone so long without a boat and without doing much fishing. Come on, Friday!! :LOL2:

Congrats on getting back into fishing. Tin boats are lots of fun :) and you've got a great starting point.

There's just nothing cuter than a big ol set of Corgi ears.

That is a nice looking boat.. Is that a COX tilt trailer? Looks alot like mine.

I know what you mean about being excited. I have a Ranger 519VX in the garage and when I converted my jon, I was more anxious to take it out than the big one. Mainly because there are a few lakes that are 10hp near where I live and I have never really fished them from a boat.

Yeah Corgis rule 8)

Not sure if it's a Cox trailer or not, I haven't seen it in person. I'll know by Friday. My fear has been that the guy will sell it out from under me since he listed it for so cheap, but he has reassured me he will not. [-o< Even had an offer for more money, and when he turned it down, the guy complimented him for sticking to his word.

I'm reading through pages and pages of this forum trying to determine how I want to do my conversion. I don't think I want to use wood at all, I want to use aluminum for both the framing and deck, maybe carpeted diamond plate or something. I am going to keep it very simple with maybe a compartment or two in the front and that's it. As to a livewell, I'm just going to use a removable cooler with an aerator. The idea of doing the deck framing is a little intimidating, I'm not sure how to go about it, really. Or how to find relatively inexpensive materials. It might call for finding someone local to me that will help out for pizza, cold beverages, and a few fishing trips. :mrgreen:

Oh and I plan to use a 24v Motorguide TM and a 9.9hp outboard, or maybe a 15 if it's rated for it. 2 batteries only though. Not sure about a recessed pedal or not.

Yeah I'm rambling, I guess that's part of being excited.

EDIT: OK, after seeing how much aluminum sheets cost, maybe I'll do aluminum framing and a plywood deck. Geesh that stuff is more expensive than I thought!

Here's my last question before posting that "I've picked up the boat, here are some more pics!", lol. Has anyone seen a transom like this? Does this look like some custom job, or is there any chance it could be stock? I've never seen a stock one go up that much higher than the top of the stern itself. Not a clear picture at all, I know.

Attachments

• transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 8,076
First off congrats on the new tin.

Second that transom is built up like that to put a long shaft on your short transom. Most that I have ever seen are aftermarket jobs. So If I had to guess (and I am) I would think it is not stock.

Keep taking pics and keep us posted on the build.

Good luck.

Thanks y'all. The guy has continued to turn down offers from people and says he will stick to his word to sell it to me, so by this time tomorrow, I should have it hooked up to my truck and on the way home. I will post higher rez pics once I get it home.

The first step of my conversion will start Saturday morning, and that step is taking it out fishing. (BTW thanks everyone for the tip to stand on the benches to check the stability.) I'm not going to make the same mistake I did with a tri-hull to bass boat conversion project I started a year or two ago. If I had taken that boat out first, I would have realized that it was not a good candidate to be a good bass boat. By the time I would have finished with new stringers, floor, raised decks, etc, I would have had as much money in it as it would've taken to buy an actual bass boat, and still not done as good of a job being a bass boat. Lesson learned, not any money lost really, just a lot of wasted time.

If there are any other newbs out here reading this, I recommend making sure you spend some time out on your boat if possible, to determine if it will meet your needs or not. I have some ideas about what I want to do, but I won't decide until I've fished in it a few times at least.

Here's kind of a rough MS Paint drawing of the layout I'd like to consider. Crude drawing but it makes it easier for me to see what I want to do.

Attachments

• jon2.JPG
    jon2.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 5,053
Well for once nothing fell thru and I was able to get the boat today. I think it could end up a nice rig. Cosmetically it needs some attention which I knew, but it seems really sound, and a good deal considering boat, trailer and (transom mounted) TM was $450 total. Here are a couple of pics I took this afternoon on my camera phone, I'll post more tomorrow after the maiden voyage. The boat looks better in person than in these pics.

The trailer is configured a little weird and I'll want to change it eventually to have a traditional setup with front to back bunks, etc. It tows a little quirky and bouncy. I didn't realize how much paint was gone from the boat, especially on the inside, so that kind of helps me decide whether or not to strip it to bare metal. I dig the baitwell in the middle bench, it has a plug in the bottom of it and the lid latches really well. Based on that, I want to find a way to still have access to it after adding casting decks.

OK I'm heading outside to start scraping some of that nasty glue and green "astroturf" :LOL2:

Attachments

• 0918091319-00.jpg
    0918091319-00.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 5,041
  • 0918091742-00.jpg
    0918091742-00.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 5,041
This picture I took makes it very clear what is wrong with the trailer setup. The boat is angled up like a rocketship about to take off. I think it will be a simple fix- get rid of the carpeted board running perpendicular across the back, get rid of the perpendicular "paddle" type boards up front that are causing the boat to sit up so high, add a traditional pair of carpeted bunks, and possibly a carpeted support board up near the front if necessary. Here's the pic that makes it obvious what is wrong.

P.S. Y'all please let me know if I'm wearing out my welcome by posting so much about this, and I'll cut back. I'm a newbie and don't want to be considered spam :oops: :D

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 5,035
No, your not posting too much, so keep them coming.

Yes, your trailer needs some serious attention. One thing of note, your bow eye should be below the roller on the bow stand. That way in the event of a rear end collision the boat would not travel too far forward. As it stands now it could travel quite a ways. Plus it will help it to stay down and not bounce so much (at least up front). The bunks look like they could be redone. I've never been a fan of the front board like that one is. I would set it up more traditional with bunks underneath and some sort of side guide. Good luck and keep the pics coming.

Huntinfool, thanks. Before I called it a night, I realized that those front supports are crooked as heck. The picture is not an illusion. They are on adjustable slides, and one is probably 6" higher than the other. Not only will adjusting these make the boat sit straight on the trailer, but they can both come down quite a bit more, so my hope is that I'll be able to get the bow eye below the roller. If so, that will buy me some time and I won't have to fix the trailer right away. I will still convert it though, no doubt about it.

I hit both bolts with a liberal amount of PB Blaster before I went to bed, so I'm hoping to break them loose this morning before I go fishing.

Also, I found out the boat is made by Sylvan Marine out of Indiana.

Attachments

• trailer_crooked.jpg
    trailer_crooked.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 2,573
  • trailer_crooked2.jpg
    trailer_crooked2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 2,572
The trailer is completely fixed and the boat sits on it 1000% better. For once, every single bolt succumbed to PB blaster and a breaker bar, normally you get at least one stubborn one! The boat is no longer sitting crooked on the trailer, and the bow eye is now under the roller. The front support boards are in their lowest position, and supporting the front of the boat. I'll need to put regular bunks on this trailer before I get an outboard, since the last foot or so of the boat is unsupported, and I don't want the dreaded "hook". OK NOW it's time to go fishing!

EDIT: Well I *could* just slide the bow tie support, etc (whatever it's called) more forward on the trailer, since the tongue is probably long enough for at least a 16' boat. Then the hull won't be hanging off the back.

Attachments

• trailer_fixed.jpg
    trailer_fixed.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 2,569
If you have the room then Yes I would move the boat forward, however when you do this the front supports might not work where they are and will need to be moved also. Plus depending on what kind of vehicle you have you may or may not be able to open the tailgate/back door.

Looking at the pics I think you would ahve a problem moving the boat forward on the front bunks, if you have any weight in the front. As it stands now that you don't have any weight forward then you should be fine. But once you do start putting some weight up there they will have to be changed.

Hope your trip went well. I wanted to go today real bad, but the weather channel said it was going to be real windy. :(

Latest posts