Decking-When and when not to.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen them made out of 8' 2x2's and boat fenders.They aren't used until they were trolling.

NAT-1021_med.jpg

This is the best post I have seen as far as helping with decking a boat. Any boat can be deck but there is a limit due to the safety factor and the best thing to do is to realize that what you are looking for is a flat surface. The higher the better but the key is a flat surface to stand on. That is what I based my project plan on. I have a Landau 1437 and my front deck is about 6" high. It gives me a good flat surface and also the wake is almost null. I am 5'-9" and weigh 215 and it works great. It does everything I need it to. This is a good post and I hope alot of people read this.

Hi all, First time poster, just want to say that I have been trolling the site and its great, full of great info.
Im looking into buying this boat and was wondering how far up you all would take the decking up? The seller told me that the bottom is 36" and the top is 56". From what I have read its looks like a good idea to just take it to the top of the seats, I would like to maybe go a couple inches below the top for the front deck and keep it level with the seats in the back deck. Leaving the middle with a open lower floor.Hope that makes sence. Here is a pic to get a look.
Thanks
Gary

Attachments

• 3nc3o93p25O25Q05R6999c45dedd56fa81793[1].jpg
    3nc3o93p25O25Q05R6999c45dedd56fa81793[1].jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 9,731
I wouldn't go very high,maybe to the center of the hull where the side rail is.36 inch floor can be very tippy especially with tall of heavy people.I am 5'8" and 210lbs.I feel like I am balancing on a ball when I stand on the deck of 1436.It's decked to the top of the benches.

Thanks for the reply Ben2go. Maybe for the front I will just build a deck to go between the front 2 seats that way I will be able to get to the live well/or cooler. Then for the back just take 3/4 plywood and mount it to the back section. Thanks againg for the info.
Gary

GMC said:
Hi all, First time poster, just want to say that I have been trolling the site and its great, full of great info.
Im looking into buying this boat and was wondering how far up you all would take the decking up? The seller told me that the bottom is 36" and the top is 56". From what I have read its looks like a good idea to just take it to the top of the seats, I would like to maybe go a couple inches below the top for the front deck and keep it level with the seats in the back deck. Leaving the middle with a open lower floor.Hope that makes sence. Here is a pic to get a look.
Thanks
Gary

I took mine from the middle seat to the front deck. The front deck is about an inch higher than the rest of my decking, it makes a nice little stopper for my trolling motor pedal so I didnt have to bolt it in place. The spot between the rear seat and middle on my boat is open with an aluminum floor and the rear has a deck with battery / fuel tank lid.

Check my 1988 Alumacraft build thread for pictures..

ben2go said:
I have seen them made out of 8' 2x2's and boat fenders.They aren't used until they were trolling.

NAT-1021_med.jpg

I was thinking of doing something where the boat fenders were just attached to the side of the hull (presumably with rope) in a horizontal orientation. (See crude drawing.)

FenderSponsons.jpg

As high as I would have them, they would only be used if the tipping of the boat became too extreme, essentially preventing the boat from capsizing. Here's another example. I saw these on the show 'Hooked' in the episode about Alaskan herring fishing. They had these skiffs that had them because they often got close to other boats. Obviously, I'd be using them more for flotation.

skiff.jpg

What do you guys think? Can it be done?

Before I had the rig I have now I had a 16' wenonah spirit II. I made outriggers for it. Here is how I did it. I took 2 lobster pot buoy's and connected them together with 1/2" pvc pipe. I placed a piece of pipe through each buoy and put a cap on the end that is pointy on the bouy. I took the two flat wider parts of the bouys and put them towards each other and connected the 1/2" pvc together using a T. I went up from the bouys to a 45 degree and then went from that fitting to the boat using 1" pvc. I connected it to the bot using a stainless steel antenna mount. Did the same thing on the other side.

I based my build off this:

FwdBack4669.jpg

I found the ram mounts didn't work, that's why I went to the antenna mount.
s7_010125_imageset_01

I also tried the cast mount, then the plastic finally the stainless. The cast broke and the plastic flexxed too much. With the stainless I could leave them in the water while using a 3hp outboard on my canoe. It didn't turn too well though ;)

Very cool!

I was thinking that - if I were to do an outrigger-type design - that I could somehow extend the front deck frame through the plywood to create attachment points for removal outriggers. Having some sort of pivot at those points would allow the outriggers to swing up for outboard transport. Or I could somehow just detach them and place them in the boat while underway.

Believe me, I would just buy a longer, wider boat if it wasn't for our club's 12' minimum boat limit. And, I just bought a brand new Alumacraft 1232 (they don't sell the 36's here). So that is what I have to work with.

Interesting, though.

Hey Yall! Another newbie here!
My Monark is 44 in wide at the bottom and 65 in at the top. the rear of the boat is actually decked above the top rail.
I was wondering if I could get any input on raising the front deck about 4inches from the top of original deck it would still leave me about 5 inches from the top rails. The plus is I could have a rod box and a plenty of storage. Id def fill the Voids with 2 part foam.

Any harm with framing this thing with Lumber. Id love to use aluminum but I dont know where to even start with the welding.
Also How would I attach the seat mount plate aside from stacking and laminating 2x10s and putting bolts all the way through to the original mounting holes?

Any input would be appreciated!!

Mods I searched and searched but couldnt find anything about my set up and Decided to post it here. I hope I didnt post in the wrong thread.

Thanks, Scott

P.S.-
Ill have some pics posted later today!

When you raise the front deck, Lets say 7 inches. How do you anchor the seat post mount plate so its solid? and I dont pull a classic Bill Dance Back flip into the water, when I set my hook??!!

Thanks, Scott

KyMonArker said:
When you raise the front deck, Lets say 7 inches. How do you anchor the seat post mount plate so its solid? and I dont pull a classic Bill Dance Back flip into the water, when I set my hook??!!

Thanks, Scott

I think you are asking this question with the the assumption that the deck is fastened to the boat, yes? If so, then use toggle bolts to fasten the post base to the deck.

I just didnt think the toggle bolts would be stout enough. I just have a problem with over thinking, and over building stuff.

Thanks!

Hey guys, a couple posts back, someone said use rivets, don't weld aluminum braces for decking... Why is that? I'd rather weld mine.

SVOMike86 said:
Hey guys, a couple posts back, someone said use rivets, don't weld aluminum braces for decking... Why is that? I'd rather weld mine.

The rivets will flex a bit with the water and weight, welds do not and if they are weak they break. Airplanes are riveted for that reason.

ober51 said:
Great post and replies. I think we can make this the ultimate, "Should I deck this boat?" thread and add some pictures to illustrate.
I have a ouachita 1432,1962 will post pics later ,but after reading
all about narrow boats and tipping I decided to deck mine low to the floor.

This duracraft is less than 40 across the bottom - 48 on top with sloped sides.... 14 ft long. Prob close to 36-38 on bottom - with the front deck it seems to be ok with out being to tippsy- You have to be wise on feet placement but I wouldn't knock decking a boat close to 40. Just as long as your feet aren't made of lead and you have the sloped sides.

Attachments

• B7.JPG
    B7.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 5,916

Latest posts