Panicking at size of boat needed! Talk me down, please.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 250, fish out of a 1432 but there is no way that I try to stand up in it. Sitting down I am fine but even then I have to pay attention to keep it balanced. Mine is stored at the side of my house on the trailer. I move it anywhere I want to by myself so maneuvering it is not a problem. I would suggest an inflatable from SeaEagle. They have a new pontoon for 4. I considered one of them but bought my present boat because it was local. Whatever you decide on, good luck and happy fishing.

:idea:
Isn't one of the cars in your 2 car garage yours? If so, give it up for the boat. I did the same.

The pulley/hoist idea sounds like a disaster waiting to happen unless it's designed to hold just a kayak. Besides the potential risk to your family's safety, I would total up the repair costs (or insurance deductibles) of what a boat and trailer falling on the cars would be and make sure you have that money set aside somewhere.

If you insist on doing it anyway, and you're not 100% convinced on the correct way to engineer it, make sure to have someone that is (like an architectual engineer, or someone with appropriate construction experience) guide you throughout. Sounds like there are multiple failure points in a design like this. Joist, Pulleys, Hardware, etc....

Sorry to be the pessimist.....but I'll take that role over reading a horror story about it someday.

why does it have to stay in the garage? you can get a really nice 100% water proof cover for it to custom fit for a couple hundred bucks and leave it beside the house.

I have a 14' Duracraft. I am 6'1" and 240lb. I could move the boat around on its side without the motor without too much problem, but the trailer is a different story. It would be too much to lift the trailer on its side and wrangle it through a narrow doorway or gate by myself. It weighs about 300lb.

I also have a 12' canoe which I can take anywhere. just pick it up, put on my shoulders and off I go. It weighs about 50lb. I store it in the crawlspace under the house. It is not real stable, but I have a lot of experience in it and can fish out of it with no problem. I have caught 50lb catfish fishing out of it. I can kneel in it OK, but standing up would be a commitment to take a plunge.

If you get a 10' and are happy with it you will fish more. If you get a 14' and are unhappy with the struggles to get it in and out of your yard you will fish less. Same can be said of the stability. If you feel the 10' is too unstable you will fish less. A larger boat will be more enjoyable on the lake.

Good luck on your decision.

Brine said:
Isn't one of the cars in your 2 car garage yours? If so, give it up for the boat. I did the same.

The pulley/hoist idea sounds like a disaster waiting to happen unless it's designed to hold just a kayak. Besides the potential risk to your family's safety, I would total up the repair costs (or insurance deductibles) of what a boat and trailer falling on the cars would be and make sure you have that money set aside somewhere.

If you insist on doing it anyway, and you're not 100% convinced on the correct way to engineer it, make sure to have someone that is (like an architectual engineer, or someone with appropriate construction experience) guide you throughout. Sounds like there are multiple failure points in a design like this. Joist, Pulleys, Hardware, etc....

Sorry to be the pessimist.....but I'll take that role over reading a horror story about it someday.

This is what I thought immediately, too. If you have a two-stall garage you have two stall widths of driveway space. The boat goes in the garage and your car/truck goes outside, right in front of it.

I have a 1448 mod-V and I had to bribe two of my students to come over and help me move it around when I painted it. This is not even counting the fact that you'd need to move everything in and out of the boat to move it. Think rods/reels, tackle boxes, batteries, trolling motor, outboard, locater, and all the other random crap that tends to roll around in a boat.

Having to move the boat and trailer through a doorway or hang them from the ceiling every time you want to get on the lake is a good way to get completely disinterested in fishing in a big hurry.

stinkynathan said:
Brine said:

This is what I thought immediately, too. If you have a two-stall garage you have two stall widths of driveway space. The boat goes in the garage and your car/truck goes outside, right in front of it.

I have a 1448 mod-V and I had to bribe two of my students to come over and help me move it around when I painted it. This is not even counting the fact that you'd need to move everything in and out of the boat to move it. Think rods/reels, tackle boxes, batteries, trolling motor, outboard, locater, and all the other random crap that tends to roll around in a boat.

Having to move the boat and trailer through a doorway or hang them from the ceiling every time you want to get on the lake is a good way to get completely disinterested in fishing in a big hurry.

Concur on the above. My rig stays in the garage in the summer so that's it's easier [quicker] to go fishing. In the winter it goes outside with a cover on it, and my wife's car goes in the garage, so that she doesn't have to contend with de-icing/de-snowing it. My truck won't fit in the garage, so it spends 24/7 outside :(

I'd be leary also of the boat/trailer suspended above the cars and family members. :shock: . I try to always take into account Murphy's Law.

Thanks again for all of the replies!

I hear ya, I hear ya: Be careful about suspending heavy equipment over your wife's small German engine.

I've decided to take Will up on his generous offer to sell me his 1432. I can't beat the price with a stick and I kind of like the idea of getting started with a smaller boat. The great thing about it is, if it works for me, I got a good boat at a great price. If i doesn't, I'll just get a BIGGER boat.

My plan is to not fancify it in anyway. A clean up, a strong trolling motor, maybe some flooring just high enough to cover the, the, uh, (been sitting here for two minutes trying to think of what you call the things that you trip on)!

I'm not a very good fisherman so I think I'm going to concentrate on fishing, not modifying, for a while.

I agree that I'll probably get to a point where I want to stand with one of my buddies on the bow and re-enact that scene from the "Titanic", but not yet. :LOL2:

As for storage, I still like the garage storage plan, but since I am no stranger to Murphy's Law, I will be careful and if in doubt, seek assistance. I still think if a guy can work under a car all day while trusting nothing but a jack to hold a couple of tons above his head, I can find something I can trust to hold an aluminum boat above my car's hood, but again, I'll be careful.

As for moving the boat into my space in the garage, that's something I'll think about. Maybe I can do that in the summer and put it up on the side of my house for the winter.

One thing that someone said here is absolutely for sure, though: if I can't get that boat out and on the road without too much hassle, it is not going to happen.

I really appreciate the advice, and look forward to seeing some of you on the water!

Ribs...is the word you're looking for.

Those **** things will get ya sooner or later haha!

My Dad and I are waiting for the weather to warm up because we've taken out the seats, and will be placing foam inbetween each rib, and then going with a deck up front, with level flooring from the deck back to the transom.

Good luck!

In your situation I can't see how it will work. I'm your size and think carrying a tinnie and trailer will grow old real fast and will become a yard ornament. For what it's worth, I grew up in Chicago and we fished a lot and didn't have a boat. The only idea I can think of is treat yourself occasionally by renting a boat for a day or two. Good luck.

edit:
I like fishin-fool's idea too.

Latest posts