My First Build - 12' 40" Meyers Jon Boat (updated 5/24/2010)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
High density 4" foam rollers from Home Depot. The temperature is very important, I tried using the stuff this morning before it warmed up and it was a nightmare..

:shock: Wow, the finish you got rolling it on is most impressive. I can only hope mine goes on half this good. =D>

Its on there good and it has some texture in there as well, which was good because it breaks up the imperfections of the hull....

Attachments

• 103_1080.JPG
    103_1080.JPG
    461.9 KB · Views: 2,089
  • 103_1079.JPG
    103_1079.JPG
    527.2 KB · Views: 2,089
Got the outside done but took it to tribble mill and didnt seal the transom area....ooopppssss.....had to come home and patch it up...........

Attachments

• 103_1089.JPG
    103_1089.JPG
    933.9 KB · Views: 2,085
  • 103_1090.JPG
    103_1090.JPG
    859.8 KB · Views: 2,085
Great job on the paint man. I've started sanding mine Thursday of last week but have posted any pics yet. I should have them up shortly, and check mine out sometime.

Great job on the steelflex there. It makes me wish I had a 2nd chance to do mine.

Froggy said:
Thats one of the better steelflex aplications I have seen, very nice . You did this alone?

Yes - I used a 4 inch foam roller in 2 cup applications. I mixed the steelflex, poured it in a painters pan and then rolled it on like paint. It worked great until it got cold. There are a few imperfections in it, but you cant see them unless you really look. I just cant believe how solid the finish is, its like having a plastic glove on your boat. I would use this stuff on any Jon I bought, especially one that has smoe leaky rivets a what not.

Thanks for the compliments.

alanbird_87 said:
Great job on the paint man. I've started sanding mine Thursday of last week but have posted any pics yet. I should have them up shortly, and check mine out sometime.
\

Thanks - I'll check yours out.....

Here are some pics of the transom and rear deck with the seat bases and grommets installed.

The last pictures or of the bow mounted trolling motor. That thing aint going no where.

I still have to wire wheel the gunnels to get the steelflex off and touch up some paint on the transom. Its not polished yet but its almost ready to be fished out of.

I also applied some jb water weld to the end of the alluminum supports to seal everything. I must have used a whole tube of 5200 on the transom alone. SHould be water tight for a few years.......

Attachments

• Pictures 018.jpg
    Pictures 018.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 2,014
  • Pictures 019.jpg
    Pictures 019.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 2,014
  • Pictures 013.jpg
    Pictures 013.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 2,014
  • Pictures 014.jpg
    Pictures 014.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 2,013
  • Pictures 012.jpg
    Pictures 012.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 2,013
  • Pictures 015.jpg
    Pictures 015.jpg
    657.4 KB · Views: 2,013
  • Pictures 016.jpg
    Pictures 016.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,013
  • Pictures 017.jpg
    Pictures 017.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,013
  • Pictures 006.jpg
    Pictures 006.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 2,013
Looking good.... I will be steelflexing mine hopefully this weekend, If the weather is bad Its going down in the basement or in the garage with a heater. Question did the rolloers you found and used say high density on their package? I can find foam roller but not that say high density. Of course I have not checked with HD yet either. That bow mount looks good and clean, Your next pictures will be of you holding up a trophy in that thing. :mrgreen:

perchin said:
Looking good.... I will be steelflexing mine hopefully this weekend, If the weather is bad Its going down in the basement or in the garage with a heater. Question did the rolloers you found and used say high density on their package? I can find foam roller but not that say high density. Of course I have not checked with HD yet either. That bow mount looks good and clean, Your next pictures will be of you holding up a trophy in that thing. :mrgreen:

Yes high density is what you want. Your gonna need 2 of the five packs. I didnt like the ones wal-mart sold, I prefer the ones from the Depot.

YEAH - CANT WAIT FOR THAT LUNKER! :LOL2:

Took her out again and not a drop of water in the boat. Furthermore, the motor almost put my in the drink. I couldnt figure out how to urn it off of fast mode so I did circles for a while. :shock:

Once I got the hang of it I did just fine. I didnt catch any fish but I had a good time. It felt good to see the fruits of your labor.

I didnt get a lot of finished pics yet but we are going camping and fishing this weekend so Ill snap some more then.

Attachments

• 103_1113.JPG
    103_1113.JPG
    425.4 KB · Views: 1,995
  • 103_1114.JPG
    103_1114.JPG
    459.2 KB · Views: 1,995
  • 103_1112.JPG
    103_1112.JPG
    548.1 KB · Views: 1,995
Looks great Troutman. Be careful out on the Toona. I'm sure the lake will be packed this weekend, and jon boats don't get much love on the big lakes.

Brine said:
Looks great Troutman. Be careful out on the Toona. I'm sure the lake will be packed this weekend, and jon boats don't get much love on the big lakes.

Thanks Guys!

It really wasnt that bad Brine. I stayed near our campsite which had plenty of different structure to fish. Whenever I saw a Giant wake coming I just turned towards it and rode it out. It really wasnt that scary. I have been swamped before at Weiss and we went to the bottom. Had to dive for 3 hours to get all of our stuff.

No keeper bass but here are a few of the Crappie we caught. Not the biggest but fish none the less. Never had fished Allatoona before so it was more of a learning expirience.

I plan on taking a plenty of pictures of the finished product later so I can document the start to finish. I still need to cut the front seat out, but I think I may have lost my motivation for now.

Attachments

• IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,967
  • IMG_0563.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,967
  • IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,967
  • IMG_0561.jpg
    IMG_0561.jpg