12 Foot Jon Mod, Grumman model 1237.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about ready to start painting my boat...where can I find the parker duck boat hunter green paint at? Lowes? or at a boat dealer? Also, with the sprayer that you used, does it give directions on how to mix the paint with thinner or how does that work? Can I just brush it on, or would that give a crappy finish?

None of the home improvement places have the Parkers. Cabela's has it in store or online.

Seth-

J, the Parker paint I got from Cabelas, I used 1.5 quarts, for 2 coats on a 12foot, the Wagner is at HD for about 80 bucks, its worth it, there are several different kinds I had bought it to stain my decks ( I got several) The parker Data sheets says it can be sprayed with an HVLP sprayer , I just followed direction, there is a small cup , like a shot glass with a hole included, this is the thing you need to use the right mix of thinner, very easy and expained in details, look at the back pictures of the box for info. Parkers is thin out of the can, I probably added 5% spirits tops to get the 30 seconds time frame to empty the shot container, worked like a charm, I dont think this paint brushes on too easy, I might be wrong. I will touch up the railings with a small foam roller this aft, no brush stroke on my boat.... hope this helps

Froggy said:
J, the Parker paint I got from Cabelas, I used 1.5 quarts, for 2 coats on a 12foot, the Wagner is at HD for about 80 bucks, its worth it, there are several different kinds I had bought it to stain my decks ( I got several) The parker Data sheets says it can be sprayed with an HVLP sprayer , I just followed direction, there is a small cup , like a shot glass with a hole included, this is the thing you need to use the right mix of thinner, very easy and expained in details, look at the back pictures of the box for info. Parkers is thin out of the can, I probably added 5% spirits tops to get the 30 seconds time frame to empty the shot container, worked like a charm, I dont think this paint brushes on too easy, I might be wrong. I will touch up the railings with a small foam roller this aft, no brush stroke on my boat.... hope this helps

Thanks...I just ordered the Parker paint from Cabelas...I just hope it comes in one piece...read a lot of reviews where it leaked all over the place...still not sure how I am going to apply it yet...I might use a foam roller and see how it turns out first.

OK, started the carpeting, while doing it I was fooling around with my gear, checking where to put everything, I quickly found out that there really is not much of a choice on a 12 for your rods, they kinda need to rest on the middle bench regardless from what position you are fishing, since my middle bench originally was going to be a complete lid, storage and battery underneath I came up with a 3/4 lid and a solid piece, that will allow me to put a fish finder there also, open the lid without anything in the way.100_6667.jpg

Attachments

• 100_6669.jpg
    100_6669.jpg
    853.8 KB · Views: 5,461
Lookin' good. I like the contrast of the tan carpet with the green paint. It seems like about 90% of us tinboater's use the gray indoor/outdoor stuff from Home Depot. Keep up the good work.

Loving this mod man. I'm with ya on the limitations to a 12' boat, maybe one day I can get something bigger but this is perfect for most of our lakes and ALL our rivers here so I like mine pretty well. I am considering putting pods on the back for a little extra lift back there, I'm a big boy.

Bufford in Orlando

Thanks, yeah a 12 has limitations, I got a camp in the Adirondacks, this rig will end up there, most likely looking for a steal in October, November, on a V Bottom, deep enough to use for Stripers in the Hudson, and Salmon in Lake george! need a winter project.....

Hello, this is my first post and i have few questions. I just bought a 1236 alumacraft and would like to modify it like you have done. My questions focus on how to attach things to the boat itself.

1. What is your method for attaching the boards to the seats? (screws, well nuts, etc.) Or how do you get to the underneath of the seat?
2. Do most people attach boards with carpet to the seats just for mounting of seats and other equipment?
3. It looks like you attached part of the framing for your front deck through the middle seat. Did you do this for strength?

Thanks,

ACE

Nice job by the way. I'm feeling motivated to get started on mine now.

Sorry Ace, was out a few days, I like the board carpeted on the benches because it looks clean, makes no noise, I can put gear and tackle there without them rolling around etc, as far as the seat posts, I simply added another square of carpeted plywood, so its about 1.5 inches of ply, I am not worried about it not be secured to the bench, I screwed the bench top in good.

The reason I attached the back end of the front deck thru the Middle seat is because I will add a seat right there and did not want undue stress to the bottom of the boat there ( like wood framing pushing on it) with a 200+ guy sitting there, its just the back, then everything else is secured to the crossbeams.

Hope this helps

Thanks for viewing my boat! Your boat has come long way since the beginning. Really like the color and the nice job u did on the carpet. Keep up the good work.

It is new LOL!!! Thanks guys , got the trailer modified here:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=13539

I am taking a breather right now, as Adirondack trout fishing is heating up.... we only get a few summer Month up here.

Got my ### from Iguanagraphix also.

Froggy, thats looks fantastic compared to the before pics. Excellent job. The next set of pics should be a line of fish caught out of her. =D>

Latest posts