My 1985 PolarKraft project (HELP, I BROKE my boat! page 13)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rtg said:
How thick was the 1"X1" angle? Thanks
sorry i havent chekced this thread in a while! the angle for the floor was 1/8. The angle for the casting deck was 3/16

UPDATE:

Taking it monday to have the fron gunwhale fixed! i hed to cut it off due to previous owner hacking it up for a trolling motor. Im taking a peice of 1 1/4" diameter aluminum pipe and have a 1/4" slot milled the length of the pipe and capping it over the sheetmetal where i cut it. The welder will then notch it where it meets the side gunwhales and wled it to them making it look factory! Then its off to the paint booth!

finally an update. Not a big one, but an update none the less. Work slowed down on the ol' boat this past month. Finally able to get back to it. I attacked the front of the boat yesterday. Whoever owned the boat before me was an idiot. They tried to fix the front they hacked up with the wrong type of welder and it was really awful looking. You can see where I had to cut the front gunwhale off as it was pretted effed up. I had to get the boat ready for the welder for the last time. Where the gunwhale was, I am having a 1 1/4" diameter aluminum pipe put there. The welder is going to mill a slit the length of the pipe and cap if over where i had to cut the old gunwhale off. and then tie it into the side gunwhales making it really strong. Then where that front bench meets the front of the boat, you can see their awful attempt at welding! i cut all that **** off. Going today to get a piec of aluminum cut to tie the front bench in back to where it was.

Before:

boatpics001.jpg

boatpics003.jpg

After:

boatpics004.jpg

boatpics005.jpg

boatpics006.jpg

Yes I know it looks rough, but after tomorrow it wont! But I'm sure you guys have seen worse!

got the front bench braced to the front of the boat today! used 16 guage aluminum sheetmetal cut to size and bent to the right angke by the local machine shop. Looks 10000000000 times better. going to the welder tomorrow to get the gunwhale (1 5/16" aluminum pipe) capped over that sheetmetal and tied into the side gunwhales.

SU1HMDAxODYuanBn.jpg

better pics tomorrow

Picked the boat up yesterday with a new gunwale on the front! I looks awesome! I had to have it mad in two pieces as I went to like 5 different places looking for a 1 1/4" pipe that was long enough. Fianlly found some, but it wasnt long enough. But he had one long piece and one short piece. So I had him piece it together. Where the weld it, i will grind it smooth and it all gets painted, so it will look fine. I must say the front of the boat is STRONG again!

gunwale003.jpg

gunwale002.jpg

gunwale001.jpg

gunwale004.jpg

That means this week (probably saturday) I will put it up on some sawhorses and epoxy 4 slow leaky rivets. Then i will pick up a can of Nason (by dupont) etching primer from O'Reilly's (good stuff) and prime any bare metal spots. Then in a week or two, Ill wash her good and then paint her flat grey!

Looks like that will do the trick. I'm sure it feels good to get that part done.

Brine said:
Looks like that will do the trick. I'm sure it feels good to get that part done.
Yeah, its all down here from here! Now just paint, deck and carpet...done

FINALLY another update! Haven,t messed with boat much this summer due to vacation and other projects. So I ordered my Parker Coatings Duck Boat paint today directly from the company (cheaper than buying it from cabelas).

I ordered the "Bay Grey" which is a flat grey. Having my body man spray it next weekend.

I also took the boat to the local watershed to test for leaks since taking having all this welding and work done. Good news, just one small leak on one of the welds. Going to marine epoxy it and be done with it. After paint, installing my floors and seats and all.

Man, i need some followers on this thread!

I got my paint from Parker Coatings in today!!! Going to try and get it up on some saw horses today and get it washed and ready for primer (just bare spots)

As for my trailer, what would be a good paint to get for it, just a good black roll on paint or something? It doesnt ahve to be a car like smooth finish, and I dont know if i want rattlecan the whole thing. I also dont want to take it to my body man to paint for me

I would think some type of Rustoleum paint would work great for the trailer. Something that will fight the rust is some way. Its looking good man. Keep it up.

alright I have an update!!!!!!!!!

took the boat to my friend's body shop today. We turned it upside down, I cleaned it with miniral spirits or something, then wiped it down with a tack cloth. Then primed it with etching primer on any bare aluminum surfaces. then wiped it with a tack cloth again. Then he showed me how to use the gun by applying the first coat. Then i applied two more coats while wiping with tack cloth between coats. It turned out amazing! I used Parker Coatings Bay Grey Duck Boat paint and I couldnt be more impressed with the covereage and the quality of the paint.

DSCF3268.jpg

DSCF3269.jpg

DSCF3270.jpg

DSCF3271.jpg

DSCF3272.jpg

DSCF3273.jpg

DSCF3274.jpg

DSCF3275.jpg

DSCF3276.jpg

Latest posts