The 14' Jet boat project (update 7/19/2010 Video on page 4)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still had the same dirty carbs on it. I didn't take a GPS with me so my seat of the pants tells me something around 15 to 20.

The highspeed jet was clogged, fixed that last night so we will see what it does in the next few days. I may still end up sending the carbs out for a rebuild, just have to see how well it does.

It did leak right where I thought it would. Easy fix and not a big deal. We will get it out on the water again later this week and see what is does with a GPS.

S&MFISH said:
Really nice.Did it take on any water?

Yes, exactly where I thought it would. As soon as we backed it in the water I said, hey look a leak. Dropped the jet shoe off last night and fixed it. We also had water running under the lip around the edge of the boat when we put alot of weight in the front. This will be fixed tonight. Test duece might come this week. Still have not put the hitch on the Jeep.

Also learned a few more things last night.

We forgot to hook up the crank case oil inlet and the exaust cooling pump was not wired. Also cleaned the carbs again and can now bounce the motor off the rev limiter which it would not do before, might not need a rebuild on them after all. We will see.

My oil pump block off plate arrived yesterday and was installed, also worked on getting a few other guages working and for the life of me can not figure it out. Still tracing wires and checking fuses and grounds. The Tach is not working.

Nice Nice -I wonder if there any resistors or relays as to why the tach is giving you problems. Could the tach be faulty?

I estimate now with getting the things hooked up and carbs cleaned your top speed will improve. I watched the video - you're going to have a blast with that thing.

MadCatX said:
Nice Nice -I wonder if there any resistors or relays as to why the tach is giving you problems. Could the tach be faulty?

I estimate now with getting the things hooked up and carbs cleaned your top speed will improve. I watched the video - you're going to have a blast with that thing.

I found some information a little while ago that said to try and ground the tach directly to the battery and see if that fixes it. There is a 20k resistor inline on the ground wire to the tach. All of the guages in one way or another connect to each other in the harness as well so after awhile all the wires start to look the same. Fuel guage does not work either. Going to try the ground trick this afternoon and see if this helps. These guages did not work before and are not required, I would just like to have them. VTS guage is the only one that works which is a GOOD thing.

Hmm agreed you would like to at least maybe have oil and temp gauges?

UPDATE!!!!!

30mph on plane at half throttle!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP this thing is fun, took it up the river and it feels like your riding a roller coaster, after each turn a burp of the throttle and your in the next turn. Each time you burp it on the straits it throws you back like doing a wheely on a street bike. My heart has been racing off adrenaline for about an hour. I still can't sit down.

Good: We took on less water, easy enough fix.

Bad: I think we ripped rivets out of the floor. When on plane the bottom of the hull looks like ocean waves. Going to take some thinking on this one. Thinking the floor alone might help this.

Even better, I am not sure how accurate the GPS is on my phone, we may have been going faster, sure felt like it. IT WAS A RUSH!!!!!!

Anyone in the upstate area that wants to check it out let me know we will take it out.

Had a flat on the trailer on the way home, a plug, a can of fix a flat, a t-shirt and a light weight coat and we got it filled back and made it half a mile from the house till it went flat again.

ihavenoideawhattoput said:
Had a flat on the trailer on the way home

I had a flat on my maiden voyage with my last tin. By the time the semi passed me and I was able to hit the shoulder, my tire was wrapped around the axle and the wheel was about 1/3 of the way ground off. To make it worse....I didn't have a spare yet. ](*,) Learned a valuable lesson that day!

Great progress though. I too would love to see a video of rivets rattling (safely of course)

At this point we are a go for take off T-minus 4 hours, If Video girl is there we should get some good video this time, specially now that she knows how to hold the camera at the right angle. Might also try to get my other video camera mounted on a pole in the rear of the boat in order to get some nice action shots.

We broke the boat last night. Back a couple post where I said the floor rippled, well last night it snappped the support brace. Broke it in half right in the middle. Engine is still starving for fuel.

Tonight, more bracing has to go in the floor of the boat before we do even more damage and end up starting over, poor rivets looked like they where going to rip right out of the boat. Remove the fuel pump and clean the filter in there to try and get some more fuel. This thing is FUN!

Yeah Bro I am for it but be careful snapping stuff doesn't sound good. LOL you dont want to be swimming lol

Latest posts