Newbie on my first mod… 14.36 Mon Ark. Done!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity

Reaction score
Ok, I just went out last weekend and got a 1983 14 ft Mon Ark flat bottom, trailer, and a 1976 25hp Evinrude (not running but motor is at the shop). I got everything for $500 so I feel like I got a good deal seeing that everything, minus the motor is in very good shape. I am brand spankin new at this so I am going to be asking question as I go alone. I have been looking around this site for about a month now so I am not competely in the dark.

My Plans:
Deck the front
Deck the rear
Middle floor
Foot controlled trolling motor
Hopefully I can work in some storage inside the front deck.
Keeping it simple for my first. Don’t know much about boat electronic this being my first boat. (other than my 10 ft jon with nothing done to it)

I will try to get some good picture up as soon as I can. It is dark by time I get home now so it will most likely be this weekend.

Let me be the first to welcome you to the site. I've only been here a few months, but I've learned a lot about these little boats and how to get the most out of them. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You will get a lot of help from the members whenever you ask for it. It sounds like you got a great deal on your boat package.

I like my layout as it is very simple and has the storage that you are looking for under the casting deck and plenty of room in the boat. Now granted mine is 4 inches wider, but I have fished out of a 1432 set up like mine and you really appreciate all the extra room. I was like you, a newbie at this. See my build thread:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12178&start=0

The finished boat is near the end

392441681.jpg

392441691.jpg

392441686.jpg

As you can see there is plenty of room on the casting deck to put a foot controlled trolling motor :D

A few before picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0917.JPG
    IMG_0917.JPG
    265.3 KB · Views: 13,556
  • IMG_0915.JPG
    IMG_0915.JPG
    515.9 KB · Views: 13,556
  • IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    470.2 KB · Views: 13,556
  • IMG_0918.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG
    471.8 KB · Views: 13,556
Great to see another guy from NC here. Nice tin! Now is a great time of year to do mods,just put fishing out of your mind :( and concentrate on boat mods for springtime. :D

www.cncba.x10hosting.com Central NC Bass Anglers

I see what looks like Pressure Treated wood in your pictures. Don't use PT Wood on an aluminum boat. The copper in the wood will cause damage to the aluminum.
Some people will tell you 25 HP is to much for a 1436 jon but thats what I run it's fast.

dang i just noticed that too albright! Im up in Mount Airy man! Nice looking boat! See you you cut that bench out, it will make you SOOO much room. make sure you cut it out, dont drill out the rivets, just leave them be. Then uses some wood or metal (I prefer 1x1 aluminum angle and rivets) and make a casting deck frame and you are good to go man!.

X2 on the pressure treated btw! use regular wood and coat it in fiberglass or sealer or something

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I see what looks like Pressure Treated wood in your pictures. Don't use PT Wood on an aluminum boat. The copper in the wood will cause damage to the aluminum.
Some people will tell you 25 HP is to much for a 1436 jon but thats what I run it's fast.

Good eye man.
I got the wood first, and then did some research. I’m taking it back as soon as I get a chance. My hopes aren’t too high on the motor getting fixed. I will most likely try to get a 9.9 or 15 hp to go on her.
Thanks.

I don’t think I am going to take the front seat out. I am thinking I want to deck all the way to the front seat.

albright1695 said:
Great to see another guy from NC here. Nice tin! Now is a great time of year to do mods,just put fishing out of your mind :( and concentrate on boat mods for springtime. :D

https://www.cncba.x10hosting.com Central NC Bass Anglers

I checked that link out looks like something I would really want to get into.

Trinity said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:

Good eye man.
I got the wood first, and then did some research. I’m taking it back as soon as I get a chance. My hopes aren’t too high on the motor getting fixed. I will most likely try to get a 9.9 or 15 hp to go on her.
Thanks.
Don't give up on the 25 yet.

Trinity said:
albright1695 said:

https://www.cncba.x10hosting.com Central NC Bass Anglers

I checked that link out looks like something I would really want to get into.

We will be posting our 2011 schedule soon. Just a bunch of guys who like to fish! Everything from electric only jons to aluminum bass boats.

not to thread jack nut albright, the fiance's dad and i may join a tourny or two to see how we like the club

I got the priming done this weekend. I was going to paint today but I could not find paint that I wanted plus I really don’t know what type or how much I would need. I am going to use a wagner paint sprayer and I would like to apply three coats. I thinking about a clear coat for protection.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 13,275
  • primer.jpg
    primer.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 13,275
If you don't already own one, I gotta warn you against the Wagner spray painter. I just repainted my trailer and the Wagner so-called "painter" was the worst hundred bucks I've spent in the last twenty years. Absolute piece of junk ripoff. You'll spend more time cleaning it, unclogging it, keeping it tilted at only the just, exact, right level, and otherwise trying to keep it working than you will on the actual painting. If somebody offered me a t-bone steak with the name Wagner on it, I'd rather go to McDonalds. And, I'm no fan of that clown, either. I'll go into more detail on my adventures with Wagner when I post my trailer refurb thread in a few days.

Same thing someone said at work. I might just rent one of the high dollar sprayer from ACE. Thanks for the info!!!

Trint. Look at "Boat House" under Decking when to and when not to thread. Monark is a good boat but 1436 is a little nerrow to be putting a deck up too high. You'll end up unstable and you don't want to toss that little fellow in your pic out of the boat. Just a word of caution but welcome aboard and you have come to the right place to keep it safe.

I am about a 140 lb, my fishing partner is about the same. Plus my boys dont mind going out on our 10 ft jon, so if the 14 is not safe thats where we will be spending father son time.

Been painting all weekend and still not finished!!!! I done a million things wrong on this paint job and the evidence is inside the boat. My paint gun was clogged up and I didn’t know it. I thought my paint was just too thin or thick. I had a clog where the bottle meets the gun. I cleared the clog with a pair of tweezers and all was good. That was after a full day of painting. My second rookie mistake was using a 6 gallon air compressor. I could only paint for about half a minute before my compressor needed to recharge. I have one more coat and the outside will be complete. The inside needs to be redone but I don’t know if I have it in me.

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 4,056
Ok, got the last coats of paint on last night. It is mega gloss Med Gray marine paint by Blue Water.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 4,034
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 4,034
  • other side.jpg
    other side.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 4,034
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg