Anybody heard of (or used) Lab Metal? Or other body fillers?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan-k

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Bass Tracker PT 185 with a 50 HP Mercury. I struck a partially submerged log which was floating just under the surface at about 30 MPH. It dented the keel pretty bad and popped out a rivet holding the keel guard. I pulled the front deck off, chiseled away at the flotation foam, then pounded out the dents caused by the log. I patched the rivet holes using pop rivets and JB Quick. It all sealed up nicely but looked like junk. I took it to a local welder who TIG welded plates on either side, which added a lot of strength to the hull, but it looks horrible. I would like to fill over the welds and reshape the keel with some sort of body filler, then apply steelflexx to the entire boat from the water line down. I will then paint over it and planned to apply a "Keelguard" to it, like you see on glass boats.

I found a product called Lab Metal, distributed by Alvin Products. The claims are that it goes on like a putty and can be sanded, ground, drilled, tapped, etc. Some of it's uses include sealing up holes and leaky seams on aluminum boats. Has any body used this product? I would like some feedback so I will know if it will work in the application I am planning.

Here is the link to the product:

https://www.net4sale.com/Shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=12&idproduct=48

A link to the claimed uses:

https://www.alvinproducts.com/Products/Content.asp?id=2#Marine

I have used it where I work. It seems to work if it stays dry although if there is a lot of flex at the joint it will not hold. If it is submerged for a prolonged period it seems to get soft from my experience. I think if you are using it as bondo to smooth out the previous method of repair it may work.

Thanks for the replies so far. There should not be much flex in the areas I plan to use it unless I hit another log :wink: . It should stay dry being as steelflexx will coat it, with paint on top of that. If there is a better material out there, please let me know!!

PC Products makes an epoxy called PC-7. It works pretty well. It is available at a local hardware store here, not sure where else. NAPA sells a fuel tank repair kit that is an epoxy with a small piece of fiberglass mat that does well also.

What about the fiberglass Bondo? I used it on a 1432 jon and it did OK.... If the Lab Metal is all it is said to be, it should be the perfect material.

dan-k.I left my repairs with the Lab Metal unpainted or unprimered for a week with water in the boat.No leaks at all.Non of the repairs that I did had any stress involved where they were though.Make sure that if you get the Lab Metal to also get a can of the Lab Solvent that they sell if you are not going to use it all.I used the whole 12 oz. can so,did'nt have any problems with it drying out.It does just air dry.If you can smear it from both sides it should be a good fix for you.

Latest posts