2010 Tracker 1436 Build (Results)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troutman3000 said:
What are the plastic bulbs to the left of the switch panel?

They do look like plastic bulbs, but they are in fact rubberized (water tight) coverings for the push button resets on the fuses for each of the switches. Kind of like resetting a breaker in your home.

UPDATE:

Was able to wire up the electric over the weekend. The anchor light and front navigation light have power from the switch panel, and i've wired the cigarette power outlets. Everything works fine.

My brother-in-law brought over a 4hp Mariner 2-stroke outboard this weekend that his neighbor was selling for $250, and was letting us "try before we buy". It looked real clean, and compression was good on both cylinders, so we decided to give it a shot. Took the boat out Sunday morning on Lake Ida and the outboard started on the first pull. So far so good. We made it past the wake zone, and opened her up. I have to say, that little 4hp sure pushed the boat, but I definitely want more power from an outboard. It didn't get it up on a plane. Furthermore, after about 4 minutes after opening the engine up, the engine died, and wasn't able to restart. Unfortunately, this all happened before I was able to get a GPS speed reading on it. So there we were, stalled out on the lake. All of a sudden, I smelled smoke, and sure enough the engine was smoking from under the head cover. The old girl was overheated.

Through diagnosing the engine, we figured out that the OB wasn't pumping water, causing it to overheat. So we trolled back to the ramp, took it off and threw it in the truck. We ended up trolling around all morning, and catching some bass. Was a great day for fishing. But now I have a taste for an outboard motor. And so the search continues...

You ever feels like you going to tip over with only 36 wide?I have son that owns 1442 and she feels like it going to tip over with 2 big guys up on her deck.She never tip over yet but she feels like she mite :|

jcb said:
You ever feels like you going to tip over with only 36 wide?I have son that owns 1442 and she feels like it going to tip over with 2 big guys up on her deck.She never tip over yet but she feels like she mite :|

I got used to jons when I was growing up. We had a Sears (I think) 1232. We didn't ever have a deck on it, but my brother and I would stand up on the bench seats to fish at the same time. That got pretty hairy at times, but neither one of us ever got dumped. I guess it may be relative to what you are used to. With my 1436, it is much sturdier than that old 1232 I was used to previously, so for me, the stability is a big improvement. I always use caution when i'm walking around, but I've had the boat out by myself and I know where I'm standing and how to adjust. Like I said before, its not like you are walking on something extremely solid, but it is very managable. Since putting on the front deck (which actually made the boat sturdier in my opinion) I haven't once felt like I was going to be thrown in, although there is some give if you are walking on or near the gunwales. On Sunday, I had my brother-in-law up on the front deck and I was standing on the rear bench seat and we were fine.

Keep in mind, I only have adults on my boat, no pets, no small children. I would probably suggest something a little more sturdy should you have either of the two on your boat as they could lose their balance much easier than an adult. And ALWAYS wear a PFD, no matter how sturdy you think the boat is.

Bugpac (Moderator) has started a thread under Jon and V boat Conversions and Modifications where everyone can post links where they get their mod materials from. This is a great idea. While browsing there, i came across a link for camo kits posted by member "dearl". I decided that I would get a camo kit and paint the boat. The link was to "ReelFoot Camo Kits", and I bought a stencil kit for about $30 with shipping included. Came fast, and I was pretty pleased with the results.

Just started painting the one side before a rainstorm was brewing, so I only got the front part of the boat done. Here is the photos.

I also added a photo of my jon cover so that you could see how I keep her dry.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,593
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,593
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,593
Very nice work! I was wondering what brand and model the seats are. I'm looking at buying some that look similar to yours. Are they plenty soft? How is the back support? I often fish with a buddy who has to sit for pretty much the whole day. Are they hi or low back? How much do they weigh? Sorry to flood you with questions but, I have to mail order mine and I want to get it right the first time if I can help it. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Flashoverman said:
Very nice work! I was wondering what brand and model the seats are. I'm looking at buying some that look similar to yours. Are they plenty soft? How is the back support? I often fish with a buddy who has to sit for pretty much the whole day. Are they hi or low back? How much do they weigh? Sorry to flood you with questions but, I have to mail order mine and I want to get it right the first time if I can help it. Thanks for any help you can offer.

No problem. Sorry about the slow response... I was away on vacation during the holiday... The seats are comfortable. I'm not sure how long of a day you are planning, but I have sat in them for hours at a time and been totally fine with them. They are Lo-Back seats, and are quite cushiony (if that's a word). Back support is what I expected from a lo-back seat. I have back problems and they are fine with my back, and I'm 6'3" tall. We really haven't used the stand-up pedestal seat all that much, yet... but it is really comfortable and sturdy as well. I've only taken the boat out a handful of times so far. Here is the link to the seats that I purchased. It gives the dimensions and description for you to look at. It doesn't say the weight, but I would guess between 3-5 lbs with the seat plate screwed into the bottom.

https://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Tourney-Special-LoBack-Boat-Seats/product/10205164/-1633015

Again, sorry for the slow response...

A 1990-2001 model Nissan/Tohatsu 18hp weighs the same as the 9.9 or 15hp. Around 80#s, and they run with most 25hp engines. Best power to weight ratio in my opinion. I can promise you an 18 would push that boat at least 25mph, probably better than 30 if I had to guess.

cali27 said:
where is that cover from. i have the same boat. It looks great by the way!!

thanks

I got the cover from Bass Pro... It is not a Bass Pro brand though. For the life of me I can't think of the manufacturer but I will check it when I get home from work. I bought the 14 ft one, and it works perfectly. I will tell you that i have to keep my seats on though, or else it is too baggy on top and water will pool in the recesses of the boat. With the seats on and the cover tied down with the provided rope and eyelets, water just rolls right off. It comes with a bag to keep the cover in, two bungees, a rope to tie down, and the seam around the cover has an internal bungee to keep it snug around the outside of the boat. It also has covered vents in it to allow moisture to escape without letting any in. Couldn't ask for more from a cover - very pleased. Kept her dry on many a Florida thunderstorm so far. Here is the link if you would like to order...

https://www.basspro.com/Jon-Boat-Cover/product/95668/-1325567

nathanielrthomas said:
A 1990-2001 model Nissan/Tohatsu 18hp weighs the same as the 9.9 or 15hp. Around 80#s, and they run with most 25hp engines. Best power to weight ratio in my opinion. I can promise you an 18 would push that boat at least 25mph, probably better than 30 if I had to guess.

Thanks for the advice man. I am still actively looking for an outboard, but the funds are kind of low right now from the holiday season.

cali27 said:
where is that cover from. i have the same boat. It looks great by the way!!

thanks

The cover is made by "Classic Accessories". The logo has the letter "A" inside a letter "C". Hope that helps. i bought it from bass pro.

Hooky1420 said:
Flashoverman said:

No problem. Sorry about the slow response... I was away on vacation during the holiday... The seats are comfortable. I'm not sure how long of a day you are planning, but I have sat in them for hours at a time and been totally fine with them. They are Lo-Back seats, and are quite cushiony (if that's a word). Back support is what I expected from a lo-back seat. I have back problems and they are fine with my back, and I'm 6'3" tall. We really haven't used the stand-up pedestal seat all that much, yet... but it is really comfortable and sturdy as well. I've only taken the boat out a handful of times so far. Here is the link to the seats that I purchased. It gives the dimensions and description for you to look at. It doesn't say the weight, but I would guess between 3-5 lbs with the seat plate screwed into the bottom.

https://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Tourney-Special-LoBack-Boat-Seats/product/10205164/-1633015

Again, sorry for the slow response...
No worries!
Thanks for all the info, it helped me out a lot. That's a very nice boat you have, great work!

Great work ! just curious where you got the hatch hitches and what kind are they ?

jgp12000 said:
Great work ! just curious where you got the hatch hitches and what kind are they ?

Thanks! I got them from Bass Pro, at $3.99 each. I went the cheap route, because other brands/sizes/styles were much more expensive. Had the boat on the water 6 months now, and haven't had a problem with the hatch pulls breaking or wearing. They are easy to install, just bore a hole into your material big enough to fit the backing and screw down on the top. Word of advice - they DO NOT come with the screws to screw them in. It's okay - I got stainless steel screws for them. Four screws for each of the hatch pulls. Here is a link to the product on bass pro's website. Good luck with your build!

https://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops®-Hatch-Pull/product/9214/-570694

Oops. If you are talking about the hatch "hinges"... I got the hinges from the door and cabinet hardware aisle from home depot. I'm not sure the manufacturer, but they were stainless steel and so I picked them up. I got two different sizes (depending on the size of the hatch door), but both were really cheap. I think you can get a two-pack for under $4.00. I used two on each of my hatch doors and used stainless steel screws instead of the ones provided in the packaging...

about your boat cover & pooling water...
i built a frame out of 3/4" pvc pipe and it works like a charm - after several high wind and almost tornadoes, it keeps my 1542 bone dry inside and no water pools anywhere!
i even have my seats still on the boat, etc with the cover on.
for about $15 and a tiny bit of effort, totally pays off!

Since we live so close and you built a such a nice boat, you just set yourself up for failure. You have to help with mine :wink:

I know this is an old thread...just looking for a "long-term" report. How has everything held up over time?

Latest posts