My New 1448 Flat Bottom Project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been turning myself into an Evinrude mechanic thanks to the manual from Jim.I should have done this 35 years ago.I really like doing it.I did'nt know anything at all about this motor that I got.So,I figured that since it did start up that there could'nt be too much wrong with it.I've been in the autobody business for too long.Everything has to look better then it should in my eyes,lol.I was just going to sand it down and paint it to match the boat,but no,I decided to take it all apart and check it out.
DSC00005-7.jpg

Prop removed checking for fishing line.
DSC00006-5.jpg

Impeller was shot.No signs of any overheating issues.Comes apart tomorrow to see how the gears look.Then all back together and an OD Green paint job.The cowl is all prepped just have to do the metal stuff.By then it will be Reelfoot Grasslands stencil time for everything.

azslabber said:
Thank you.It will be better.That is just the beginning.I am a disabled guy with two prostetic legs.It will probably be the last boat that I will ever do up.So,from now until the time that I can't hobble up onto it it will be a "Project",lol.

From what I've seen here - Who says you're "disabled"? And as far as the motor goes, too bad you're re-painting it. Its a perfect color match for how I'm painting my boat, motor and trailer. Keep up the good work. =D>

Good catch on the impeller. I would not open the gear case unless something wasn't working right. They can sometimes be a pain to seal again.

Looking good, slabber (az is for Arizona, right?)! Are you going to be able to use it as long shaft, or can you make it into a short shaft? Man, you are adventurous! I know a little about motors and things, but have never tore one down like that. I am experienced with those old Evinrudes/Johnsons, and they are tough motors.

Duracraft.I need some help.I took the lower part of the skeg apart so I could get the driveshaft back in.Here's some pics.Any way to get it back lined up without taking everything apart?lol.I will if I have to.Everything looks very nice inside.
DSC00007-5.jpg

Trying to get the driveshaft back in,lol.
DSC00008-6.jpg

I'm waiting for some help here duracraft,lol.

I'm from Arizona,yes.And the motor will stay a longshaft.Better hole shots,lol.I have a jackplate in the making with a 3" setback.It will be raised 6" as this motor is a little longer then most,even the shortshafts are like 17 inches.Yea,I'm adventurist,sometimes a little too much,Ha.

All done.Thank God.Got it all lined up again.Driveshaft is in and I am starting to paint now.I'll start with the lower skeg portion of the lower unit and work my way up.That way I can leave the bolts unpainted.Plus I need some sealant,lol.
DSC00009-5.jpg

Put together and it works flawlessly in every gear.
DSC00010-4.jpg

This is what a properly lubed and aligned gearcase looks like.My problem was the shift cradle going over the clutch dog properly.lol.Don't ask me tomorrow what all that means.Thanks for the manual Jim.Maybe,that manual is getting me into trouble,lol.

Here's a glimpse of what the engine will look like when done.Only a glimpse though,lol.I did the lower unit also,but need to do some cleaning up before I show it to you all.
DSC00012-1.jpg

Here's the base color.It will be Reelfoot Grasslands like the boat.That's all so the bluegills can't see me,lol.And I just fell in love with the looks of it when I was hunting for stencils.I want to keep the bolts unpainted and original looking.

Man, slab, you did all that while I was having Christmas guests over for meal!! I have been in similar situations before, and you did good! That paint job is going to look great too. Make sure you get the right kind of sealant; I would check at local boat shop, or online. I know the sealant is very important.

I'm going down to the boat mechanic that I used to use and get my goodies tomorrow.Impeller,lower unit bottom seal and some OMC sealant.He has all the parts for the early Evinrudes in stock except for a couple that I will order from him.Yay,no shipping involved.I should be pulling the cord while my steel flex is drying this weekend.I just put all the bolts back in so I did'nt lose any of them,lol.That phillips that goes through the housing and through the cradle in the gearbox is a rough one.

Looks great.

Question: The driveshaft was not connected to the pinion with a nut?

Suggestion: When taking pictures with your camera that are closer than 17" switch to the Macro setting, it will be an icon that looks like a flower, and your pics up close won't blur. You have to hold the camera really steady but you pics will be much clearer.

Can't wait to see more.
Bufford

The driveshaft on this motor just slides down into the pinion gear.No bolts or anything it has splines on the bottom of it.I'm not a very good photographer,lol.
Here's the lower unit all put back together and done with new seals and gaskets and "O" rings.
DSC00017-1.jpg

All done.
I have a question for anybody that positively knows the answer.First thing is the aluminum extension that is above the lower unit.What kind of paint is used on this?I suppose that it is some kind of high temp stuff,because there was non there after 41 years.I'm going to use self etching primer then ??
DSC00018.jpg

Second question.Does anyone have any ideas to get this bolt out of the bottom of it.The head snapped off and the other bolt broke off.It is the exhaust portion of the motor that must get kinda hot during use.There is no water or oil that goes through it.I have two good bolts but they are on the same side.
DSC00019.jpg

Cool man, looks good.

For bolts you think might be weak from corossion, soak them with PB Blaster overnight, and you can also use a torch to heat them and help burn off the corossion you can't see.

Latest posts