My New 1448 Flat Bottom Project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figures that the day that I want to do the steel flex that it does'nt get over 65 degrees,lol.It will probably be 90 tomorrow because I have so many things that I need to do.We'll see.

Did'nt work on the boat,but the motor is about done.Used some drill bits and got bothe broken bolts out.Got the extension self etched and the rest of the motor is ready to get camoed out.New impeller and complete tune up,even a new rope and handle.Thanks for the manual Jim.I hope that I don't have to do everything in all them pages,lol.
DSC00001-7.jpg

Here's the extension with some brand new bolts that hold the lower unit on.

Looks good man.

Hey, on that Steelflex, once you get it coated, if its somewhat warm and clear/sunny carry it out into the sunshine to cure, it speeds it up nicely.

Wait to see the next couple of pics.Everything on the outboard is painted now.I'm doing the motor part right now.Trying to figure out what colors to paint the tiller handle and bracket.I'm thinking camo brown.To break up all the OD Green,lol.Coming in a couple of hours.

Well,almost done with the outboard.Have a side to paint tomorrow and then throw it all back together and start it up.I still had a broken bolt in the exhaust on the top that I forgot about.Had it about drilled out but ran out of juice in my cordless drill.Early tomorrow morning I will get that one out and start putting it back together.I'm going for the real camo look.I painted with 3 differant ultra flat colors.Will tye them all up with some stenciling when it is all together.
DSC00005-8.jpg

Here's the motor part with the half bolt still stuck in it.lol.
DSC00004-7.jpg

Here's the cowl painted a desert tan.
DSC00002-9.jpg

Here's the extension and the lower unit.See the differance in the colors?

How do you like the fishing equiptment room ??lol.That's my big Plano Saltwater fishing tackle box.And the Okuma saltwater fishing rod holder full of GIANT 80 lb. test Tuna rods.Still deciding what color to paint my prop.I'm thinking darker green with tan stripes,lol.

azslabber,
that's going to be one sharp looking motor (and rig).
I wish you could do mine. Can you describe the process a little more
in detail, e.g. How did you clean/prep the motor and cowl? Also, did you use etching primer
on the motor? What kind of paints did you use? Thanks.

I used all Rustoleum spray cans.That way if it got scraped up $3.48 would fix it.All the parts of this motor are aluminum,except for the cowl,which is fiberglass,I believe.I used 320 grit wet,or Scotch Brite pads in the red color.The motor was'nt all beat up so there was'nt any deep gouges or scrapes to sand out.It just looked crappy,lol.I was a prep guy about 30 years ago.Sanded lots and lots of cars.Doing this was fun,not them.Biggest thing is having a very clean surface with spray cans.And every bare aluminum surface has to be self etched.Especially the rivit heads that keep going bare if you sand then too much.You want primer on everything.No bare aluminum spots.AT ALL.3 coats of paint.Let them dry between coats until it fashes off to a flat looking before putting a second or thiird coat on.I've got 2 cans of spray paint on the motor,so far.Doe'nt take much.Will probably take three.I'm going to use clear coat over the top of everything after the stenciling is done.It's for looks and I like it,not for hiding from ducks,as I don't hunt.I think it is cool,lol.I'll show some before and after shots when it is done.

azslabber said:
I used all Rustoleum spray cans.That way if it got scraped up $3.48 would fix it.All the parts of this motor are aluminum,except for the cowl,which is fiberglass,I believe.I used 320 grit wet,or Scotch Brite pads in the red color.The motor was'nt all beat up so there was'nt any deep gouges or scrapes to sand out.It just looked crappy,lol.I was a prep guy about 30 years ago.Sanded lots and lots of cars.Doing this was fun,not them.Biggest thing is having a very clean surface with spray cans.And every bare aluminum surface has to be self etched.Especially the rivit heads that keep going bare if you sand then too much.You want primer on everything.No bare aluminum spots.AT ALL.3 coats of paint.Let them dry between coats until it fashes off to a flat looking before putting a second or thiird coat on.I've got 2 cans of spray paint on the motor,so far.Doe'nt take much.Will probably take three.I'm going to use clear coat over the top of everything after the stenciling is done.It's for looks and I like it,not for hiding from ducks,as I don't hunt.I think it is cool,lol.I'll show some before and after shots when it is done.

Thanks for the info, azslabber.
Maybe I'll make my rig look pretty one day.
Again, great job.

It's coming together.Should be ready to start up on Saturday while I am applying the steel Flex on the boat.I think that I'm going to paint the bracket and tiller handle metal BROWN.
DSC00006-6.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone !!!Still waiting on the grommet on top of my water pump before I can put the lower unit back on.I guess that a Christmas Day steel flex application is in store for me,That will be a first for me,lol.

looks great! Everyone is doing cool stuff out there...I remember just 3 years ago...so much less shared info out there. This is great. Nice job.

Wow, this is so inspiring! I noticed there are no more posts since December 2010! Does that mean it's done and you're too busy fishing to post? :)

I sold the boat to my buddy in Arizona before I moved to Pennsylvania.The boat was cool.But not much more then my last post except for putting the motor together and giving up the ole girl.I'm an ocean fisherman now and am doing my 1989 Sea Nymph project right now.Take a look.

Latest posts