Sea Nypmh 17' Deep V.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonLB

Reaction score
Well I brought home a 17ft Sea Nymph today. It's pretty deep, and wide for the age of the boat (78").
The trailer needs work but has lots of potential. It is a Bunk trailer with a cradle style so the boat sets down in it.

Here are a couple photos.

Picture086.jpg

Picture085.jpg

As you can see, no motor, and the interior is a basket case. That's fine I wanted to do a rebuild/mod anyhow.

Plans? Well, I'll give plans on the trailer because it will take less time. But Actually I'll be doing the trailer last.
Sand blast and paint.
Extended bunks.
Extend the trailer rearward. I think this will work better than moving the winch stand forward.
I'm going to add more modern fenders, and use carpeted boards on the inside as a guide for the boat.
New rollers
Eventually a swing away tongue.
Add steps around the fenders, and around the lights.

First for the boat will be to clean all the junk interior out of the boat. This will probably take awhile. :shock:
Then clean up the inside, and get it ready for Gluvit.

At some point I'll be making floor patterns, and replacing the floor after the gluvit goes in.

I'm going to remove the bow rails, and windshield. Remove the port console, and extend the front deck till it is flush with the starboard console.
I may do in-floor rod storage, but for the most part I'm up in the air about specifics.

I'm going to pick up an old glass boat that has a 65hp Johnson on it, and that motor and it's controls are coming off and going on this boat.

I'm trading a couple tools for it, and the neighbor is letting me use his engine hoist and outboard stand, and in return I'm going to give him the trailer that's under the glass boat. The boat itself is going to the dump.

I've got a few parts already for the boat. Stainless pop up cleats, a Lowrance X102C w/ram mount, Lowrance H20 w/ram mount, flush mount rod holders, MinnKota Powerdrive trolling motor, batteries, a few interior lights....

I hope to have the boat painted, new interior by memorial day. In the picture above you can see right accross the road is the lake, and the neighbor has a ramp on their property so I can always use it, and just use the trolling motor if I have to. The 65hp Johnson isn't top priority.

This was the original plan, but I'm going to try and not add the box down both sides. And in that pciture I was planning to convert to tiller. Now I think I'm going to keep one console.

Picture082.jpg

Tiller would be neat but don't rip that console out unless you have found a big long shaft tiller motor.
I am finding out they are few and far between.

I was willing to buy the parts to convert a remote engine to tiller, but I think if I plan things well, this boat will have plenty of room, even if I keep the one console.

You are right about tiller motors though. I remember even years ago my dad had a hard time buying a long shaft tiller used.

I'd love to have that 9.9 of yours. I want a kicker on it for sure at some point. The last aluminum boat I had had a 4 stroke kicker on it, and I used it allot.

I'm going to try and get some of the mess on the inside cleaned out tomorrow. Supposed to be close to 50 degrees tomorrow.

LonLB said:
I'd love to have that 9.9 of yours. I want a kicker on it for sure at some point. The last aluminum boat I had had a 4 stroke kicker on it, and I used it allot.

It is for sale. :mrgreen:
I would keep it for a kicker but my uncle offered to give me a 6hp long shaft kicker he has.
It came off of a Starcraft SS180. a very similar boat to yours. Sweet set up for sure.

PartsMan said:
LonLB said:

It is for sale. :mrgreen:
I would keep it for a kicker but my uncle offered to give me a 6hp long shaft kicker he has.
It came off of a Starcraft SS180. a very similar boat to yours. Sweet set up for sure.

I would buy it if I didn't have so much work and expense on the boat ahead of me.

The engine I'm getting needs work. So, I'm faced with spend the money to get it running, and risk NOT getting it running, or buy a good running kicker and use it for now, and 'know' I have a good running engine-even if it is small.
But that won't be in the budget this year.

In any event I do want to fish Lake St Clair, the Traverse bays, and Burt/Mullet lake. In which case I REALLY want a kicker for those areas just for added security.
Burt/Mullet is a combined about 40,000 acres and open water.

So shoveled bits of interior out with a snow shovel.

There was expanding foam for flotation. I have a question about that. I'll get to that later.

Anyhow my brother pulled it home the day I got it, and you could more than tell it was back there. Which I surely didn't expect. Well it's because there was TWO decks. When the original was rotten someone just put a layer over it. Completely water logged, along with water that couldn't drain because of the foam, and water logged foam also.
Luckily for me, most of the foam came out in one piece at each section. So I didn't have to dig and dig to get the stuff out.

It was heavy enough that I couldn't wheel it into the garage by hand, or even lift the tongue of the trailer.

I can already tell it's 100's of LB's lighter.

I had to come inside for a bit to warm up. I felt like my brain was going to freeze. I'll post pictures later today of the progress, and of the mess that is left of the interior.

Well I've got a question already.

The boat has a VHF antenna and I would like to keep it.

The antenna cable is routed through in a few places, and the holes are JUST big enough to fit the able through.

Can I cut the cable, and then splice an end onto it later? Or, can the screw on end of the cable be removed so I can get the cable out, and then splice it back on?

I finally found the HP rating of this boat. It's 100 HP.

I really hope a 65HP is enough because I already made a deal for it, and should be picking it up this sunday.

Also may work out a deal to trade the trailer under it for a longer bass boat style trailer that sits a little lower, and already has the steps built in around the rear fenders. And larger tires/wheels. Depends on if he does a strait trade, because I'm always looking for a deal. :D

Also got the thing in the garage this evening. I hope to have the foam in the bow removed, the starboard console, bow rails, and other deck/gunnell hardware should also be removed by this weekend.

I need to get some work done this week, because I'll be out of town all weekend, except Sunday evening.

LonLB said:
I finally found the HP rating of this boat. It's 100 HP.

I really hope a 65HP is enough because I already made a deal for it, and should be picking it up this sunday.

I bet it will get around great with the right prop. Probably not the fastest boat on the lake.
If that 65 idles good you may not need a kicker too.

[/quote]

I bet it will get around great with the right prop. Probably not the fastest boat on the lake.
If that 65 idles good you may not need a kicker too.[/quote]

I think so. Of course I can't be sure till I try it. I thought about trying to find a deal on a bigger engine, but I'm just going to stick with the 65 horse for now.

If I do end up fish a few places I want I'll add the kicker just for added security. Having a back up motor on st clair, or even Burt/Mullet, and The Traverse Bay's on Lake Michigan would be a good idea.

As for normal use though, the 65 should work. The only trolling use will be trolling for Musky, so I don't need to creep down super slow like the walleye guys do.

Once I get the motor running well, I'm going to add a set of Boyeson Power Reeds. They are supposed to greatly improve idle, and improve throttle response. Maybe more power too, but the better idle is worth the cost to me.

Once I get the motor running well, I'm going to add a set of Boyeson Power Reeds. They are supposed to greatly improve idle, and improve throttle response. Maybe more power too, but the better idle is worth the cost to me.[/quote]

They do help with the idle. You can really hear the difference. I couldnt tell a difference in power, but it def made the engine seem smoother.

On the VHF cable, you can cut off the end that screws into the radio and replace it. If I remember right, you cut the outer insulation back 3/4" or so and lay the woven outer wire back onto the insulation (turn it inside out). Then you trim back the thick insulation that protects the inner wire. You will solder the wire in the center to the inner hollow post of the new connector. You then crimp the outer part onto the woven wire that is laid back. Hopefully the new connector will come with a diagram and better instructions, but this gives you the general idea. New fiberglass antennas come with the radio connector unattached, so you can cut the wire to the length you want.

I can't see the pictures because my work blocks them unless uploaded directly to the site, but it sounds like a great project. I'll have to take a look when I'm at home. Maybe the 65hp will work fine if you keep the weight low. Maybe you can make it lighter than the original design. Good luck!

Latest posts