Reed's 1542 Alumacraft Swamp Sled.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
diabolic ben said:
I bought a 12/36 2 days ago. I think I will follow suit on that back deck. How will you run a tiller motor from those two seats? This is my 1st boat. Sorry if it's a stupid question. Do you think it would be bad to put my TM on that back deck? My 10 yr. old son will be fishing up front and I really don't want him running the TM.

If you did a deck like mine on your 12-36 you could just mount the seat right to the rear deck a little off to the side and run a tiller from it. A 15 hp tiller would really move a 12-36!

The build looks like its going great. I just started modding mine and I wanted to ask u how u got the angle to cut the 2x4s u made ur seat bench out of . I'm tring to build a box like that to hold my guns in

I used some of the spare styrofoam I had left over after doing the floor. I held one piece of it along the side of the boat vertically and put the other along the bottom horizontally (where the 2X6 would go) and then traced the angle onto it. I then cut that styrofoam at the angle I traced and used it as a template to cut the 2x6.

Just remember to measure the bottom width of the boat correctly and cut the wood to match.

My boat has a 42 inch bottom so I made the angle cut on one end of the board, then on the other end of the board I measured 42 inches bottom to bottom and started the cut there.

for the 2nd board Just used the 1st one I cut as a template, marked and cut the 2nd one accordingly.

I am not a skilled carpenter by any means. I am sure there is some fancy way to figure out the angle of the side of the boat and cut it that way using some formula and mitre cut! But for me, tracing it was easy and effective. I did leave a little room to play with in case I decide to put some sort of vinyl or carpet over it later.

Looking great! I also have a alumacraft. My personel concern with the layout is the floor space you lost with the seat platform. I can see that you did gain some storage space which I like. Is the remote control worth the cost? I would be interested for myself but have not looked into. Good luck! =D>

I did lose that area between the rear bench/deck and the middle seat as far as space goes. But because I didn't have to mount a seat on the rear deck to drive from , I can have the entire rear deck to to mount a pedestal seat for fishing and use the front for fishing too.

Most of the time when I am fishing I will be alone (me and the dog) so its not a real concern. Plus If I Just wanna go for a boat ride with my ole lady (or my dog) she/he can sit beside me instead of sitting up front haha.

In addition to this boat being a fishing/bowhunting/bowfishing boat it is also gonna be a little swamp "hot rod". I enjoy just exploring and riding around on a boat and just being out on the water so the console steer is going to be really nice.

As far as cost goes it is a little more expensive to rig a boat for remote steer with the console/rigging/steering wheel/throttle/ignition etc but I think I can find a good used set up for less than a brand new 25-35hp tiller, so I am willing to suck it up.

Your right though a tiller does give you more room room and costs less. It just depends on what you want to do.

That's what is so great about jon boats and little aluminum boats in general. All we have to do is imagine what we want and build it. It really doesn't take much money as far as any of it goes. Plywood, screws, a drill, a saw a few cans of paint! You can do whatever you want. If you screw up just go get another sheet of plywood. I cant even look at a boat anymore without saying to myself I would have done this or that to it.

This is the first time I have ever done this and it has been so much fun. I am already looking for another boat to start modding and Im not even done with this one. I think I am going to drive my wife crazy. haha.

Got a little done on the front deck over the weekend. I ran out of 2x2 and tried to finish up with some 1x3 but I'm not happy with the strength of the 1x3. I stopped by hd on my way home today so I can rebuild it tonight.

Looks sweet so far. Is there room (or an opening)to run wires through the original side boxes(transom support) between the back bench and transom on alumacraft models? Or would you have to drill out a hole to run electrical wires from back to front on a factory hull.
Thanks.

florida strain said:
Looks sweet so far. Is there room (or an opening)to run wires through the original side boxes(transom support) between the back bench and transom on alumacraft models? Or would you have to drill out a hole to run electrical wires from back to front on a factory hull.
Thanks.

Its sealed up from the floor to the top of the bench. you would have to drill a hole. I plan on just running any wires right under the gunnels inside some sheathing that will be kept nice and neat and held tight to the side with some sort of ties.

I really like the boat. I got it for just under $1000. brand new at Academy Sports in Orange Park. They want $1400. for it at every boat dealer I went to. Heck they want $1200 for a 1436 at Boathouse Discount Marine in Jax. Academy Sports is the way to go if your looking for a new boat.

I replaced the 1x3 with some more 2x2 and got rid of the little piece of plywood in the bottom pic and put a big piece in to cover the entire aft portion of the deck. I used the brackets and its really sturdy.

I also cut a piece of scrap 1/4" ply to fit the top of the deck. Im going to use it as a template for the 15/16th ply Im going to use for decking. I am going to split the deck where the two 2x2's are close together and install some hinges. That way I will be able to access my 2 batteries that are going to sunken into the plywood decking on the floor. I am going to get a battery box tomorrow and trace out the outline and cut 2 holes in the floor decking to sink them into. It will hold them in place and keep everything nice and neat.

I finished building the front deck. I got it sealed with 2 coats of spar urethane too. Im gonna wait till the weather improves this weekend to put a couple coats of paint on it. Here are a couple pics I took. Its going to make a nice place to store/mount 2 batteries.

Attachments

• frontdeck1.jpg
    frontdeck1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2,524
  • frontdeck2.jpg
    frontdeck2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 2,524
  • frontdeck3.jpg
    frontdeck3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 2,524
  • frontdeck4.jpg
    frontdeck4.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 2,524
  • frontdeck5.jpg
    frontdeck5.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 2,524
I used it primarily to help deaden or quiet the sound of feet, plywood, and water slapping on the boat hull. It also helps to add support to the plywood floor because the foam is dead even with the ribs. I don't think it helps with any floatation at all.

I know the benches are filled with foam from the factory and help with floatation in case of "swamping" or flipping.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate with me today and I can get the front deck painted. Last night it was too cool and its been rainy the past few days. Supposed to be nice this weekend though.

Now its time to start shopping for a nice aluminum side console. I know Alumacraft sells them but only through thier dealers. Does anyone know of a website that sells side consoles for small alum boats. I remember seeing a link somewhere but cant seem to find it now.

Good job, reed - and, you got it right in the post title - SWAMP SLED! I love that! And, when you said you almost got carried away and if you wanted a bass boat, you should have bought one in the first place, is right on! Keeping it fairly simple is the key. In my opinion, you can really enjoy it more that way. And, right, you have a great swamp sled there!

Good job: 2 prob's I"d be worried 'bout,front hatch width/depth ratio w/o center support & hinge material grade(ss,galv,abs) but YOU ARE DOING A KILLER JOB! Epoxy paint seals foam w/o melting it, makes it like a surfboard.If I could epoxy my wife I could float her to .... I'M in deep sh>>>>>>>>>>now peace out.LOLLLLLLLLLL

Thanks guys.

beamer,

I used regular hinges for exterior home door use. They felt like they were coated with some kind of clear coat. The package did not say galvanized or stainless though. Plus I put two coats of Polyurethane on them before I installed them and then once they were installed I coated them and the deck with 1 more coat of spar urethane, and then couple coats of paint. They won't last forever but they will last a while. At least untill I get the nerve to cut the center seat out and make it a center console lol.

After I installed the deck and walked around on it last night the hatch was plenty sturdy but i could feel it bow a little so I took your advice and put a support right down the center. Its plenty sturdy now!

I also attempted to make a side console out of plwood and 2x2's but It aint gonna happen. I got it built but it looked junky so I scrapped it.

Latest posts