HOUSE's 14' Crestliner V-haul MOD (photos added)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
acedog1234 said:
nice looking boat. how did you make those floor plan drawings
I have a lot of free time at work, so I used MS Paint to make those floorplans on my work pc, hahaha. Waaaay too much free time. Google has a free tool called Google SKETCH that is pretty easy to use and has much more functionality. It's not quite Autocad, but it might be a step up if you want something more advanced that is free. I just wanted something simple, and Paint allows me to get the basic idea down on paper. (I also printed out pictures of Crappie_Slayer's build which have helped me a lot).

Question:
-I attached the metal side braces with rivets and did not put anything behind them to sit in between the aluminum and steel. I see a lot of guys using rubber or 5200. Is corrosion going to be an issue down the road? I'll probably spray the joints down with Spar Urethane just to keep water out from behind them. Also, has anyone built a rod holder before? I'm not sure how to support a 7foot hatch #-o (I'll search the forums and see what I can find...)

acedog1234 said:
thanks that program is hard to use but i will figure it out
If you are using the Google Sketch program, make sure you print out the "cheat sheet" that they offer. It really helps by showing you what all of the buttons do. Do you have any sketches uploaded of your plan?

3/10/11: Got some more work done last night, and I think I'm slowly making progress. We are getting some freezing rain tonight, so it looks like Mother Nature is buying me some more time before water temps around here will break 50 degrees. Here's that latest photos:

Right side storage is supported and complete:
896659761_photobucket_19431_.jpg

livewell is tightly framed:
896659761_photobucket_19429_.jpg

7" rod holder is braced and feels secure:
896659761_photobucket_19430_.jpg

and finally, here's a fake action shot to put a face with my name:
896659761_photobucket_19432_-1.jpg

Next projects:
1) Seal all of my screw holes with silicone and finalized the work so far. I might just paint over them with more spar urethane instead. I still have to seal the wood that I used so far for this framework anyways.
2) Back fishing platform: I need to find a way to support the area above my gas tank so I can stand on it. I didn't extend the plywood base all the way back so there is nothing down below to build a frame off of #-o
3) Seal the side braces that I riveted to the hull. I didn't put anything behind them and I'm worried about the steel and aluminum reacting over time. I think I can minimize air/water exposure by sealing the edges around them with silicone.
4) Front fishing platform: :shock:

HOUSE said:
acedog1234 said:
thanks that program is hard to use but i will figure it out
If you are using the Google Sketch program, make sure you print out the "cheat sheet" that they offer. It really helps by showing you what all of the buttons do. Do you have any sketches uploaded of your plan?

no not yet but im working on it

I'm stumped again...
#-o
I started planning out the front fishing platform and I have no idea how to support this thing. I ended up cutting a 2x6 out and replacing the front bench so that I can use it as a base to build a wooden frame. I planned on riveting 2 more cross beams, but I don't know where I'm going to put them yet. I have to devise a plan for some sort of wooden cage, but since my v-haul is so steep, I am not sure how to make it level to the bottom of my boat. I've seen guys rivet the floor with aluminum angle...I might have to do that.

The back deck is pretty much ready to be covered with plywood. I ended up working on it last night, but filled my time building a support platform for my livewell/cooler. I figure people will be sitting on it and it will need a good base. I put 4 screws into the stud under my plywood that you can't see...here's the finished product:

896659761_photobucket_20584_.jpg

896659761_photobucket_20585_.jpg

*later tonight, I'm going to try and employ Crappie_Slayer's floorboard rivet idea:
floor_board_idea-1.jpg

I started the front deck last night. As with everything else in this boat so far, I was totally making it up as I went :) I riveted in 2 more Simpson Strong Ties and built the initial frame. I still have to go back and find a way to run vertical supports down to the floor of the boat. Here's a picture of the half-finished frame...not all of the wood seen below is cut and screwed in yet. I also added the ratcheted strap around the boat because I noticed it was flexing out about 1cm. I think in the process of adding my back frame, I bowed out the boat a little. I think I corrected this by putting a new bench back in and replacing some of the rivets holding the front aluminum plate in place.

I might take her out this weekend and get her wet just to see how stable she is. The front deck is going to sit pretty high on the boat, but I've got quite a bit of weight planned to sit low in the front. I might use 1/2 inch plywood in the front to make the top lighter and 3/4 inch plywood in the back. I don't think she would notice a quarter of an inch... :oops:

Latest frame:
FINAL_FRAME_9.jpg

Latest layout:
FINAL_FRAME_TOP_VIEW3.jpg

Big change in the front deck...my friend came over who has a 14ft boat and said the top platform would be too top-heavy so I dropped the concept down to the level of the front bench. I'm still going to add a tall chair up front & run the side storage up to the front. I think it will look cool and allow me to fit longer poles in my rod holder. Also, I took the livewell/cooler out and built a ramp there to the front. I can put the livewell back in if I want to. I found a smaller cooler that I can use for a bait bucket that I will probably build into the side of my boat. I'm going to carpet the floor, so disregard the dirty wood in the picture below:

896659761_photobucket_22578_.jpg

On a different note, I went out fishing for the first time to my favorite reservoir. The water levels were up almost 10 feet and the water visibility was less than a foot. I lost my new swimbait while trying to enter the contest... doh!

Let me tell you HOUSE, I think lowering that fishing platform in the front was maybe the smartest thing I've ever read out here aside from removing the mounted cooler. You can put a cooler in a boat any time you need to, but when you aren't using it, it's nice to have the extra space. Fishing at the top level of your boat would have been pretty scary should you catch some nice boat wake. How many hours did this take you? My daughter really likes fishing and I was thinking about having her fix up our old boat like this as part of her Girl Scout project this summer.

Busy week...didn't get much done on the mother ship until today. I put in some work on the front deck and it's ready for plywood soon. I have one last section to add under the removable ramp and I'm done with the framework. I don't really know how many hours I've spent on her so far...I spent more time looking at it and trying to figure out how the heck to do things than actually cutting wood. I'm not a craftsman by any means :) I'd like to think that I could have done all of this in 3 or 4 solid afternoons if I had a clue what i was doing! It has been a really rewarding experience so far...even better if she still floats.

Here's the latest pic from the front section:
896659761_photobucket_24036_.jpg

My daughter finally finished her boat today, complete with rod locker, live well and two fishing chairs. She had a little trouble getting the carpet fitted around the edges, but it turned out really nice. We are planning on taking it out crappie fishing tomorrow morning. 3 weeks was all it took her thanks to looking at your plans. She pretty much did the exact same thing as you. Is yours done yet". They are having the judging for her project in June. I'll be sure to have her credit your plans in her victory speech.

I've been out fishing so much, I forgot about the boat sitting in my garage! oops!
I was able to apply a coat of spar urethane to the entire frame this weekend. I also finished the floorboard and built a front compartment for the batteries. Here's the compartment, lined with carpet to keep stuff from falling under the floorboard and a pvc pipe to let me run wires to the back of the boat:
floor_board.jpg

Next project:
1) cut out the 1/2 inch plywood for the top decks.
2) figure out the wiring
3) carpet
4) GO FISH

I took a long break from my mod due to lots of fishing! I picked up some carpeting from the hardware store and currently I'm installing it...not fun. I'll add some pictures tomorrow. She's almost done :)

HOUSE said:
I took a long break from my mod due to lots of fishing! I picked up some carpeting from the hardware store and currently I'm installing it...not fun. I'll add some pictures tomorrow. She's almost done :)

9/5/2011: Still carpeting the thing...taking forever! I never want to carpet a boat again lol.

Question: what kind of hinges do you guys use for your compartments? I'll search the forums for ideas...these will be used for the compartments in my frame that I am currently carpeting.

Aluminum Piano Hinges from Aircraft Spruce.

Brine said:
Aluminum Piano Hinges from Aircraft Spruce.
Thanks Brine, I'm reading through all of the search results now and piano hinges definitely seem like the way to go. Sorry to trouble you with that post. Other than the hinges, I think she's almost ready to rock and roll. I bought 2 x 3ft hinges online there. I'll use a Dremel to cut them down to size. I chose 3/4" hinges to match the thickness of my plywood. I'm going to mount them to the inside cut using some stainless deck screws and some sealant to keep them airtight.

9/5/2011: Next project is the front fishing chair and a pedestal. I think I want both up there, but the posts are expensive. Bass Pro sells them for $50-$100. Do you know of any inexpensive alternative? I really just need a 2-3ft aluminum post to add/remove in front or behind of my fishing chair. (I'll be searching the forums for this too, btw). Thanks again for your time.

Brine! You called it, dude, these piano hinges are exactly what I needed. The customer service from Aircraft Spruce was amazing and they had really fast delivery. I just resumed carpeting and plan on doing the hinges later on. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! I tell you what though, you guys really weren't lying when you said that carpeting SUCKS! I have put it off all summer long because I didn't have the right tools for the job. Someone suggested that I get a new box cutter to cut the carpet, and a staple gun to staple it in place after I glue it down...those two suggestions have really helped. Thanks guys for all of the advice.

Here's the latest picture from the front deck (before I cut hatches):
896659761_photobucket_85525_-1-1.jpg

9/29/2011: I got the right side hatches carpeted last night and made final cuts on the front fishing deck. I'm going to carpet the front tonight.
9/29/2011: I ordered 12 green LED lights from China for night fishing. Estimated shipping date, 3 weeks! lol: https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160497086578&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
9/29/2011: I need to start planning ahead for my wiring. I'm reading that 12gauge should be used for just about everything. My battery will be up front, so I can hook my trolling motor directly to it. I can probably do the same thing with my fish finder. I have to find a way to wire in my lights, though.
10/3/2011: I bought some black spray paint to paint the 13" seat pedestal that was looking old and rusty. I have to buy 1 more swivel plate for the seat to rotate. I might also raise my back seat a bit so I can see over the front of the boat. To do this, I think I'm going to build a small storage compartment under the back seat to store my wallet and phone.
10/9/2011: I got the front hatches cut out and carpeted. Almost done!
896659761_photobucket_89292_.jpg

CARPETING IS DONE! (Finally!)
10/13/2011: Man...carpeting wasn't really that hard once I got a new box cutter and a staple gun, but my back sure hurts...jeesh.

Here's what I have left to do:
1) Hinges and handles for all of the flaps.
2) Spray Paint under each flap (silver) so I don't see wood when I lift them up.
3) Front deck: Bolt down the chair and seal off the front fishing deck with carpet so stuff doesn't fall under the deck and rattle around.
4) Back deck: Carpet the floor. Enclose the insides of the back compartments using metal instead of wood from "borrowed" street signs that my brother gave me. I have to bolt down the chair, but I think I am going to create a small storage box under it to store my cell phone and camera.
5) Mount the fish finder and trolling motor
6) Run wiring for lights
7) Paint the trailer, check lights.
8) Finish everything just in time to store it for winter! lol

Here's how the boat is looking as of 10/13/2011:
896659761_photobucket_90895_.jpg

896659761_photobucket_90893_.jpg

896659761_photobucket_90894_.jpg

896659761_photobucket_90892_.jpg

Latest posts