1981 Monark 1464 jon boat mod by Express

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Express

Reaction score
Great site! iv'e only been reading for a few days and i'm already tearin my old jem apart! she's a narrow girl but she came cheap so what the heck- might as well bring her back to life. just so you know i am in no hurry and have other projects goin so be patient please. i purchased it with the 1969 johnson 25hp (cold blooded but runs out nice) i actually had it all rigged out and fished for two years now but i always wanted to restore it. these pics will show what i started with. any and all opinions along the way will be appreciated.

P1020328.jpg

P1020332.jpg

P1020330.jpg

P1020335.jpg

P1020329.jpg

P1020339.jpg

i repaired the transom when i first bought it. only the top 3" was soft just where the motor mounts up so i cut the top 5" out of the entire transom and put in aluminum rectangle 1 1/2"x5"x 1/8" wall and then covered it all with 1/2" ply.

P1020334.jpg

I open my pictures using paint then click on the image tab and choose "stretch/skew". I then put a low number in the horizontal and vertical boxes like say 20. and it normally does the trick. Then I save it as a smaller version.

I used photo bucket,chose pic, the clicked edit,then resize, then used link

Express said:
OK i just spent the time to copy and past all of my pics from photobucket only to find out they are too big. was going to attach a link to my album but now photobucket is down for maintenance. :x

anyone know how to shrink my pics to 800 pixels?

Photobucket is fine, I use it and like it! Just resize pictures to 320 x 240 8)

Click on the picture you want, and then scrool on upper portion of picture, and window will drop down, place pointer over "resize" and sizes will drop down, click on 320x240.... 8)

thanks for the help with the pics! i am very interested in the whole photo/vid editing thing but know zilch about it :?

so last night i removed the mid bench and a few small straps that were riveted to the sides. i think i'll just put some rivets back in the holes.

P1020336.jpg

P1020338.jpg

P1020337.jpg

man look at all of this room in front of me now :D ok it's not huge compared to some others but it is a great improvement! (9'2" between benches)
P1020341.jpg

in short the plan is to first off, try to keep the COG under control. i will be fishing on the mississippi which can get rough sometimes and if i'm sittin on the crappies on the channel i don't need to be gettin thrown in with em! of course this isn't as much of a concern if i'm in the backwaters slayin the bass.

i want to extend the front deck back to the first support on the floor, build a rear deck that will cover my gas tank area and come just in front of the bench enough to give me a nice spot to mount a switch panel etc, raise the floor an inch or so covered with plywood, plywood the sides, install three flush pedestal mounts (one on each deck and one just forward from mid point, a couple of hatches for storage are also on my list. i would like to make a cooler livewell to install somewhere but i am already attached to the open floor so we will have to see.

how am i doin so far guys? thanks

texxfletch said:
I used photo bucket,chose pic, the clicked edit,then resize, then used link

I make a folder on my desktop and add pics as I get them. Then I can look at them anytime I want to. I use the slideshow in windows a lot for viewing. Then I take pics all during a rebuild for future reference for my friends to look at also.

i plan on re bucking the rivets and i am also considering applying steelflex. i have some questions on this product but the Fasco web sit is very generic to say the least. so maybe you guys can answer them.

what colors are available?

can it be painted? (one member here had trouble with his paint staying tacky on the steelflex and wiped the paint off. but i'm thinkin maybe the steelflex was not completely cured? i don't know)

is it applied in thin coats or one thick coat?

i need to find some rivets to fill the holes and the tools to install them. and aluminum angle or channel for decks and floor

i'll look locally today.

WOW i guess i will be going with wood construction for the framing! at my local menards aluminum is $21 for 1 1/2" x 8' angle and 2"x2"x 8' pine is $1.25.

i am trying to get as much info on materials as i can before i really tear into this project. it will be easier to stay on budget this way. so more ?'s

where can i get the brackets to join the 2x2 pine framing?

i am assuming these are aluminum with stainless screws?

started sanding this weekend which didn't go so well. i borrowed my friends DA sander but my compressor just couldn't keep up. so im in the market for an electric sander now.

i bought an electric sander today. tried it in a few spots and i think it will work to prep for paint. i hope to have more time this weekend to work on it.

tried calling fasco three times today and the phone just rings and rings.......?

can anyone answer my questions?

i know i just joined but i have to be honest guys, im feeling kind of in the dark here

i know its been a while but i put the project on hold while we morned the deaths of two family members. im sorry to say that we lost my wife's mother and grandmother.

in these hard times when im sure my wife is "ok for now" my boat project has become my therapy tool. it keeps me busy and to be honest i appreciate this old girl more than ever.

anyhow on to the updates and pics which i know we all like. i got the boat sanded all around and the holes from the mid bench plugged. now i just need to flip it and sand the bottom and then onto the steelflex.

P1020363.jpg

P1020366.jpg

P1020364.jpg

the holes prepped for rivets
P1020350.jpg

P1020349.jpg

the rivets (3/16"x1/4" aluminum)
P1020355.jpg

after struggling and worrying about how to buck the rivets and researching the "right" tools for the job and being the cheap guy that i am, i came up with this
P1020351.jpg

i payed $11.99 for this air chisel with five bits at northern tool (what a deal!) and if it only gets me through this project it has payed for itself. i ground the pointed chisel down completely then i used a 1/2" metal drill bit to drill a con-caved
area at the end
P1020353.jpg

i used my trusty old 2lb hammer as a set tool
P1020354.jpg

P1020356.jpg

P1020357.jpg

and the result is this (in the pic it looks beat up but it is just shiny from the air chisel)
P1020358.jpg

the inside
P1020360.jpg

P1020367.jpg

i am very happy with the results. now i will order steelflex and sand the bottom while i wait for delivery

i hope to hear you opinions. thanks

Express said:
WOW i guess i will be going with wood construction for the framing! at my local menards aluminum is $21 for 1 1/2" x 8' angle and 2"x2"x 8' pine is $1.25.

i am trying to get as much info on materials as i can before i really tear into this project. it will be easier to stay on budget this way. so more ?'s

where can i get the brackets to join the 2x2 pine framing?

i am assuming these are aluminum with stainless screws?

The best local price I could find on aluminum was ordering it from McNeilus in Dodge Center, I don't remember the price but it was still out of my range.

The brackets that a lot of guys use are Simpson Strong Ties, they can be found at Home Depot. They are galvanized, but they seem to work well in areas that will not come in to contact with the aluminum boat.

Did you get your Steelflex ordered? I think you can order just about any color you want, I don't know if you can paint it or not. When I applied it I put on two coats that were fairly thick, but I rolled it thinner on the steep part of the V to avoid any sagging.

Sorry about your families loss.

If you want to use aluminum, stay away from hardware places. Look for an industrial metal supplier. I just bought 1/8" thick 1-1/2" angle for $25 for a 25ft piece. It cost me $40 last year, so prices are down some. 1-1/4" angle was $20. A 4x10 sheet of 1/8" was about $140. It probably costs a little more in your area, but should be much more affordable from a bulk supplier. You just may have to show up with a hacksaw to get it in your truck or pay a little more and have them cut it for you if they don't do home delivery.

Thanks guys. Im still kickin around the idea of using aluminum. I plan on calling mcneillus to check prices. Fasco only offers 4 or 5 colors so i will check s mn paint supply for pigment options before i order steelflex

decided on the grey steelflex and waiting for it to arrive. in the mean time i'll be sandin, wire wheelin, sandin, wire wheelin, sand.......well you get the idea and if you've been there then you know what i'm sayin! lol

can't wait to be done! O:)

also i got a bunch of 1" & 3/4" aluminum square tubing for free from work! i should be able to use this for the flooring braces and maybe the decks too. we'll see

here she is all sanded, pressure washed and cleaned with acetone. tomorrow is all about STEELFLEX

P1020368.jpg

P1020369.jpg

sooooooooo that took longer than i thought it would! but here she is all flexed accept for some inside areas that i will do when i flip her over

P1020380-1.jpg

P1020381-1.jpg

for the most part i found the steelflex to be fairly easy to work with. well ok after the first little session when i didn't know how long i had to work with it and i wasted about one cup worth. this stuff sets fast!

i do have one question about the cure time printed on the label. i cant remember the exact times right now but it says that thin coats take much longer to cure than thick coats. this is a misprint right?

The grey looks fantastic! How much Steelflex was required to cover the outside of the boat? How many coats did you apply?

Express said:
i do have one question about the cure time printed on the label. i cant remember the exact times right now but it says that thin coats take much longer to cure than thick coats. this is a misprint right?

Steelflex looks great! And I know it sounds strange, but the thinner it is, the longer it takes to cure. My Marine Tex says the same thing.

Mojo^ said:
The grey looks fantastic! How much Steelflex was required to cover the outside of the boat? How many coats did you apply?

Thanks im pretty happy with th results too. I used 1gallon but to be honest i probably wasted a total of 2-3 cups if i add up all of the product that hardend in cups too much to be appliable. You really have to be fast with this stuff. I also need to steelflex my bilge are behind my back bench and ill be lucky if i have enough flex left to do it.

I applied 2 coats. One thin coat and one thick coat but i really went heavy on the bottom.

Latest posts