1648 Landau Duck Boat "The Dirty Oar"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFTDJEEP426

Reaction score
I just picked up an old Landau 1648 this weekend with the trailer for $400! I planning on decking the front and a few add-ons for duck/gator hunting down here in Florida. This will be at least a month long process (Should probably add a 2x multiplier on that :roll: ). I got it home on Saturday and snapped a few pics and started with the Oven Cleaner and 3600psi power washer to take most of the paint off. I'm hoping that as this goes on you guys will add your $0.02 and give me any suggestions you may have regarding anything from bow to stern!

Intended Use: There are a few places I intend to hunt/fish and in order to get to them I will have to cross a few dikes. One being about 35' tall by 125' across. It is an airboat jump and has a wooden ramp up and down the other side. I will have to use 5' pieces of PVC and either a hand winch or (Eventually) an ATV winch to get the boat up and over. So...... any added weight will make this more difficult. (I can't afford aluminum or I would definitely go that route). So I'll be keeping that in mind as I go...... Maybe I should call the boat Jenny Craig! :-k I'm also building a Mud-Motor for it at the same time..... might eventually try and find a mid-size tiller but that is far in the future (money wise).

My early list for mods include (in no particular order):

Boat Mods:
1: Deck with ample storage for Tackle, guns, battery, cooler, etc.
2: Grab bar for when I'm running the long-tail.
3: Storage under the seats for random use
4: SteelFlex on the bottom for leak protection and slickeri-ness
5: Camo Job (somewhere between looking good in the parking lot and in the marsh!)
6: Some type of push pole holder
7: Pop-up Duck blind (probably won't happer until later on this summer)
8: Removable Light bar on the front for bow fishing
9: Running lights
10: etc...

Trailer Mods:
1: New springs (pretty rusty)
2: Build a stop/rest for the front of the boat
3: Re-wire lights
4: paint job

Looking forward to getting all of your comments and/or suggestions:

Also looking for a name for her..... Again I intend to duck/gator hunt and fish out of this baby so early names that I'm toying with are:
Insta-Gator or Fowl Language..... #-o

These were taken before I did anything to her.....

DSCN2556.jpg

DSCN2554.jpg

DSCN2559.jpg

DSCN2558.jpg

DSCN2557.jpg

These were taken after the easy-off applications. I rested the long-tail frame on it for a grab-bar mock-up.....

DSCN2562.jpg

DSCN2567.jpg

DSCN2561.jpg

I'll probably just paint over what is on the interior because it will get abused but I'll have to get the bottom and sides squeaky clean before the SteelFlex can be applied (So I've gathered from this site). I'll post more pics as she keeps progressing.....

Thanks in advance and what an awesome site this is!

She's coming together. I finished the deck last weekend and a few other parts during the week. I'll post pics in relative order of completion.

Got the framing started. Trying to keep it simple (light) but still functional.
DSCN2571.jpg

Used some cardboard to cut the shapes out to try and minimize waste cuts (which I seem to be known for).
IMG_0950.jpg

Got the front deck carpeted and snapped a few shots in the dark.
DSCN2579.jpg

DSCN2578.jpg

DSCN2577.jpg

DSCN2576.jpg

I only have a 7" extension pedistal for my swivel seat but ordered a 13" so that the doors clear the seat when it is mounted.

Also got the first layer of paint and camo on the inside and finished the very front deck and rear bench.

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

I made a little sandwich mount for the long-tail to rest between for towing on the rear bench. I might try and figure out a better solution, something that might not get in the way as much on the rear but it works for now.

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

Yesterday I met Ron Porter of https://www.bullfrogmarine.com that is the creator of Frog Spit. Its a bottom coating similar to Steel-Flex but doesn't crack as easily on tin boats. I'll hopefully apply it to the bottom next weekend. This afternoon I'm going to do a little work to the motor and try and mount it on the frame. I'm hoping to take it out in two weeks and give her a test run. I also will have to take a few shots of the trailer when the boat is off of it. Turned out pretty good (its a trailer). Here is a pic of it with the rear bunks finished. They are 7' long with 5' of Star Board and 2' of carpet. Once the boat is on the star board it slides really easily, and thats not even with the slick bottom coat on yet. I will say that I can still put the boat on the trailer by myself. I did it beside the driveway in the picture; however, I'm pretty sure I popped a few blood vessels and sounded very sailor-esque as I was hoisting it up on there..... she's a little chubby.....

DSCN2573.jpg

To-Do list:

1. Finish inside and outside camo
2. Apply Frog Spit to bottom
3. Build Grab Bar
4. Wire for lighting (switch panel under rear bench access)
5. Mount Front Fog Lights (Build light bar)
6. Name it...... thinking of calling it the "Dirty Oar".....

Thanks! I was wondering if I wasn't getting any love because its more of a duck boat than a bass boat being on this site. I keep hoping that I'll start getting some suggestions/tips/tricks..... We'll see. Its been fun working on it so far. I'm going to work on the engine this week and hopefully get it in the water soon!

HA! Don't look TOOOO closely or you might take that "Professional Grade" comment back. There were a few hiccups but she's coming along.

Man post some pics of the Ducks Unlimited Stencil on the Bow Deck. It looks awesome from what I can see in the prior pics.

Great lookin build man!

You should be proud. If not, look at your first pics again =D>

Ya I got some poster board and cut it out with an X-Acto knife. Turned out alright. It was about 20mph too windy to be painting but I couldn't wait.

IMG_0965.jpg

I want to start wiring that little boat of mine and I thought I would ask you first if there is a particular wire I should use. I’ll have a deep cycle battery to power the trolling motor, navigation lights and I want to mount some fog lights I have up front. I also have a spot light mounted onto a hard hat that I’ll need power for. I’d like to make a few “outlets” where I can plug this stuff in almost. Well, I was thinking that it might be cool if I could use the same plug for the spot light and the trolling motor because….. there will be times that I will mount the trolling motor on the back or on the front and sometimes that I’ll want to use the spot light up front and in back. I was looking at these 2-wire plugs for trolling motors on-line but they are pretty pricey (about $12/plug and $40/outlet). Thought I’d get you guys thinking about it and see if you could come up with anything. One I’m not in a hurry and two it doesn’t have to be fancy either. Your thoughts?

I was looking at this:
https://www.gpsonsea.com/products/MKR%2d18-12%2d36V-plug-&-receptacle-kit-MINN%2d1865102.html

Nice boat! I just purchased it's twin this past weekend and found this site by searching for a 1648 Landau. I am planning on doing deck work similar to yours. However, mine will be more for fishing than hunting.

Very cool! Seem to be real stout boats. Mine is a 1968 year model so she's been around. Post up your build for sure. I'm interested to see what you do different to yours and if you have any questions this is the place to post em. I'll also answer what I can.

Latest posts