2011 Jig fishing challenge

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contest is helping me develop my jig fishing skills... takes patience but i will not throw any other lure until i catch at least one on a jig. Honestly most i forgot to take pictures but here are some.

Attachments

• living 142.JPG
    living 142.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,289
  • fishing 001.JPG
    fishing 001.JPG
    595.4 KB · Views: 1,289
  • living 143.JPG
    living 143.JPG
    873.1 KB · Views: 1,289
Ok, I maxed out the number of pics I could put on my original post, so I'm starting another. Starting from the bottom, these 4 were all caught on an All Terrain 1/4 oz. jig in green pumpkin color. Caught this next one while out with my wife and son. Caught it on an All Terrain 1/4 oz. swim jig in green pumpkin color.These next 2 were caught today on an All Terrain 1/4 oz. green pumkin swim jig. This next one was caught on a red/black Hawg Caller jig. These next 2 I got while in my canoe on West Point Lake, got them on an All Terrain 1/4oz. swim jig in green pumpkin color. These next 3, I caught with a 1/4 oz. Hawg Caller jig in brown/orange color. Ok the next 3 were also caught with a 1/4oz. Hawg Caller jig in brown/ orange color. These next 2 I got on a 1/4 oz. Hawg Caller jig in brown/orange color. These next 2 were caught on an Arkie jig in green pumpkin/smoke color in 1/4 oz. Fished a friend's pond today and got these 2 guys on an Arkie jig in green pumpkin/smoke color and 1/4 oz. And the last 3 were caught on a 1/4 oz. Arkie jig in green pumpkin/smoke color

Attachments

• rsz_026.jpg
    rsz_026.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,284
  • rsz_029.jpg
    rsz_029.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,284
  • rsz_030.jpg
    rsz_030.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,284
  • rsz_033.jpg
    rsz_033.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,284
  • rsz_family_outing_005.jpg
    rsz_family_outing_005.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,276
  • rsz_1bill_003.jpg
    rsz_1bill_003.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,269
  • rsz_bill_002.jpg
    rsz_bill_002.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,269
  • rsz_bill_004.jpg
    rsz_bill_004.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,269
  • rsz_002.jpg
    rsz_002.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,263
  • rsz_003.jpg
    rsz_003.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,263
  • rsz_fishing_today_011.jpg
    rsz_fishing_today_011.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,256
  • rsz_fishing_today_013.jpg
    rsz_fishing_today_013.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,256
  • rsz_fishing_today_005.jpg
    rsz_fishing_today_005.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,256
  • rsz_trash_fish_003 (1).jpg
    rsz_trash_fish_003 (1).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,203
  • rsz_trash_fish_004.jpg
    rsz_trash_fish_004.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,203
  • rsz_trash_fish_005.jpg
    rsz_trash_fish_005.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,203
  • rsz_june_camping_002.jpg
    rsz_june_camping_002.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,202
  • rsz_june_camping_003.jpg
    rsz_june_camping_003.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,202
  • rsz_1b_trash_006.jpg
    rsz_1b_trash_006.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,198
  • rsz_b_trash_007.jpg
    rsz_b_trash_007.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,198
  • rsz_troy_002.jpg
    rsz_troy_002.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,197
  • rsz_troy_003.jpg
    rsz_troy_003.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,197
  • rsz_june_25th_2011_001.jpg
    rsz_june_25th_2011_001.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,195
  • rsz_june_25th_2011_002.jpg
    rsz_june_25th_2011_002.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,195
  • rsz_june_25th_2011_003.jpg
    rsz_june_25th_2011_003.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,195
D'oh I got the holiday's mixed up. I went again this morning and caught a few more. Just need to get them off my phone and on here. BB soon.
Ok I am maxed out on my 1st post also. So here are a few more.
310.jpeg
313.jpeg
316.jpeg
331.jpeg
334.jpeg
337.jpeg
Gonna head back out there this afternoon. Well I went out for a bit and caught a couple more. I could get used to this.
359.jpeg
362.jpeg
369.jpeg
Hopefully more to come. I might head back out for the last hour or so tonight. Right now the wind is blowing 15-20mph. It has been blowing like this for almost 3 months. Never seems to let up.
Oh btw I caught these on a Booyah jig. (academy for $.88) I added a big craw on a natural brown and yellow with a red glitter strips.
Caught three last night. Academy's tournament choice jig. 3/8 oz, with a craw trailer. Black and blue.
391.jpeg
394.jpeg
397.jpeg
Been working like crazy lately, so I decided I was heading to the lake. Went to my usual spots only to not find the weed beds that are normally there. We still managed a few. Then we went to my go to spot. Only a couple there also. So I decided what the heck. I might as well try the jig. BANG! We really started getting into them. We lost a few but managed a great day. Here are the ones I remembered to take pics of.
400.jpeg
403.jpeg
406.jpeg
409.jpeg
412.jpeg
415.jpeg
I caught these on a Booyah 3/16 oz. Brown with red metal flake and a craw trailer.
Might head down to the bayou later tonight.

Jim said:
bearsphan3.14 said:
I assume jig heads with tubes or hula grubs style baits count

Like this?......yes!

hula-jig1.jpg

Let me think about the Tube one. :-k

So what we come up with on the tube? Or did I miss it in here somewheres? Doesnt really matter, I'll just put a worm on it.

Wished I would have found this earlier, I always use these right after a major cold front goes through, like today, caught three right of the bat.

Planned on it, just had to come back for a bit. Then I am right back out there.

Thought I would mention a couple things that I have found out these last few days while fishing the jig. You can't set the hook too hard. I lost a couple fish after I thought I had set the hook real hard. Sometimes the bass like it better when the jig is not actually making contact with the bottom. Sometimes I would throw it in the water and before it hit the bottom I would twitch the rod a couple times and then they would hammer it. I did some sight fishing today and in water that was only a few inches deep I could see a bass, I pitched the jig in and sure enough he hit it. Other areas I fished the water was a couple feet deep and I could see the bass swiming around. I would pitch the jig in and they would swim right up to it and follow it, but would not hit it. If I moved the bait they would continue to follow, but if I stopped it, they would just swim off. I don't know what I could to to entice them into striking, but I am open to suggestions.

Also in the past I have caught an almost 10lbs bass in this bayou, along with an 8 and a couple 6's and several 5's. However they have been working on the bayou and messed it up and for the last 3 years there have not been many large fish. This morning I got bit with a jig by a large fish in the same metal pipe in the water that I caught all of these big fish in. However when it hit the jig it immediately charged back into the pipe and I could not get it turned out. The line hit the edge of the pipe and I broke off. This fish pulled drag and I would venture to say it was at least 6lbs, but it could have been bigger. Also one day I caught about a 12lbs yellow cat in this pipe on a Zoom lizard. I don't know what it was, but it was big. (I know, I know, another big fish that got away story)

So yeah, yesterday kinda bit after I got back in where I was earlier in the day. :cry:

Unfortunately, there were so many kids when I got back down there, trying to swim, splashing, throwing crap in the river I just gave up but not before I showed one of them there is fish in there and he kept calling me a liar! :shock: He supposedly fished it while I was gone. :roll:

So I showed him, next to a brush pile I was fishing, threw the jig n tube right into it and he was like yeah that will catch the fish and laughed. So I told him to shut up and learn and showed him. [-X Right as I brought my jig n tube next to the bank where I was standing this little L.M. Bass kept darting out from under the branches and nibbleing on the tail end of the lure. Errrr. So I switched it up and took the tube off and put a 3" dark brown worm on the jig. Casted a few times out in the open and then casted right back into the brush pile, jigged it over a limb and it went back in the water and wham, got myself a L.M. Bass. Just a little guy, about 9", tried to lift him out of the water and a few wiggles and he was gone. He was so tickled pink that I showed him how to do it.

I have never seen that many kids in that area in I don't know how long, boats, pontoons, kayaks you name it it was there and from where they all came from is beyond me, cause they sure weren't there when I left. I was really hopeing most kids didnt go down there anymore, but i was a little ticked, but hey, I did it when I was kid to.

I have noticed with these jigs you sometimes dont know you even have a fish on until your line goes in some weird direction. They just kinda pick it up and swim with it. I have also found that when you realize they have it, I just kinda pull the pole back up and to the side and it sets the hook. I have never set the hook like they show on T.V.. I guess I dont really see a point in it. But then again I do alot of catch and release unless it is something really impressive. LOL

Latest posts