1973 DuraCraft 14'semi-V remodel- at it again!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recon

Reaction score
So the kids are older and off to college so I sold my 17' 1965 Classic Glastron and downsized to a 14' boat for fishing and duck hunting. Got a good deal on this one and already started the remodel before my son goes back to school this fall. It will be setup for some small lake and river fishing, as well as, some duck hunting this fall.

First thing we did was take the 1987 Johnson 18hp to our local marine mechanic for a good once over. All it needs is a card rebuild due to the wonderful ethanol crap they put in gas nowadays. While that is out we started by sanding and grinding any area that had missing or loose paint to take it back to aluminum. We then spot primed those areas of bare metal but left any good paint alone. Before final painting the entire boat will get a lite sanding to even out all of the surfaces.

We also removed the wood, if you could call it that, at the transom and replaced it with double thickness marine grade ply that will get glassed to seal it up. We also used all new stainless hardware when we replaced the transom so we wouldn't have to get out the grinder again if we ever had to replace it.

The bow originally had a storage area that the previous owner turned into a seat that will be put back to a storage area. There is also a mystery hole on the stern that will be used as a port for the bilge pump instead of trying to patch the 1.5" hole. I figure might as well use the hole that is already there instead of cutting a new one.

Temporary battery operated nav lights will be replaced with permanent ones and 2 lights will lbe added at the bow for nightime running.

port by dallas10c, on Flickr

to stern bfore by dallas10c, on Flickr

to bow by dallas10c, on Flickr

stern by dallas10c, on Flickr

Transom Out

wood removed by dallas10c, on Flickr

Some of these rusted screw were a joy to get out.

transom removed by dallas10c, on Flickr

Original transom

old transom wood by dallas10c, on Flickr

New transom...still have 1 bolt to go.

new transom by dallas10c, on Flickr

I'll post more as it gets done. Hope to really get moving on this but the weather in Pennsylvania has been horrible with only 14 dry days since March!

Spent the evening with the orbital sander and went through a box of 180 grit disks getting the outside of the hull smooth and ready for a final priming. I plan on lightly sanding the final primer job with 220 grit before putting on the final color coat.

My outboard should be ready on Friday according to my mechanic. Carb rebuild as I thought and I also needed a bushing on the choke replaced. He is waiting for the part to get here tomorrow and then he'll do a final check on Thursday. It's really nice to be on good terms with the local marine mechanic, he pushed my job ahead of a few others so I would have it for the weekend.

Tomorow is final prime and sanding day for the outer hull, with Thursday being color day. I would really love to take her out fishing this weekend and I might if the outer hull is finished. The local lake has had grreat action on post spawn walleye.

Fiberglassed the new transom in. I pity anyone who might ever try taking that out.

I plan on painting the outboard when it comes back form the mechanic this week. Does anyone have any advice for prepping a motor for paint? I know I need to wipe the entire thing down with acetone to clean off any oil residue and lightly sand it to give the paint something to grip. Any other suggestions would be great.

Sorry...planned on more pics tonight of the glassed transom and primer coat, but we had to dive inside becuase of a tornado warning and 2 inch hail. Came out after the storm passed and found 3 dimpled cars and my son's tonneau cover on his pickup with multiple holes through it! Glad we put the boat in the garage.

2 inch hail!

PICT0003 by dallas10c, on Flickr

Forgot to mention that we picked up the outboard. My mechanic says that he wished the new motors were as solid and easy to work on as the older ones. Gotta love older Johnsons, they're like the energizer bunny...they just keep going and going! :D

I promise pics tomorrow.

Outside of the hull is all primed and ready. Hopefully have the inside primed tomorrow. Will post picsw tomorrow.

OK...the weather finally cooperated and I got the outside painted today. I went with a light brown color as the main background color because where I hunt in the fall the main color is lighter brown. I plan on adding camo in dark brown, black and deep green after the main color has dried thoroughly.

I tried taking pics when I put her back in the garage for the night and the flash makes the color look gray. In the one pic you can see the light brown color.

You can see where I sanded and spot primed the interior.

DSCN2516 by dallas10c, on Flickr

DSCN2511 by dallas10c, on Flickr

DSCN2516 by dallas10c, on Flickr

Outer hull base color is done. Waiting for new registration numbers to arrive then they will go on...along with a BIG electric blue sticker from PA. Maybe next time they will make it day-glo green...works great for us duck hunters...not! Sorry about the sarcasim.

Tomorrow we start the camo on the hull.

hull paint 1 by dallas10c, on Flickr

hull paint 2 by dallas10c, on Flickr

Yes...never noticed that I mistyped that. Speaking of the motor...got the first base coat of camo on the cowling lest night. The rest of the motor will be a slower process because I have to tape everything off and remove some of the years worth of gunk that has accumulated. Besides that it runs great and now starts on the first pull. Also replaced the lower unit oil with fresh.

We also sprayed the upper surface of the interior woth its camo base coat. The lower area along the floor will stay its current gray as it will be getting covered by cushioned matts that will make it quiet, as well as, add some padding. I am using the same floor padding that they use in horse stables. My son's girlfriend is moving her horse to a new stable and I am getting it at a very good price...free. It is flat black and if I give it a good powerwashing the horse smell should be gone. I figure if it can cushion a horse then I should be no problem.

I run the Susquehanna River for ducks and I am also going to try for some of the muskies, so I was thinking about some kind of prop guard. Does anybody have any reccomendations or tried things that just didn't work that I should stay away from?

We worked on the trailer last night and today and it now sports a new coat of paint after being sanded and primed. We also moved the winch post forward about 18" so that the transom would not sit beyond the end of the bunks. We are all set to go on the trailer except for needing to pick up a new roller. One of them was totally dry rotted.

In the future we are going to switch from 8" to 12" tires to reduce the heat on longer tows.

trailer2 by dallas10c, on Flickr

trailer1 by dallas10c, on Flickr

I thought the same thing...powerwasher with BLEACH! :mrgreen:

Trailer is all complete and the tin is once again on it vesus sitting on 2x4s on the garage floor. Replaced the bunks and added new carpeting to them so that she is easier to load/unload. Also replaced that dry rotted roller with a new one. Been trying to get going on the camo but the weather has not been cooperating lately.

Also picked up the new bow light and wire so I can get rid of the battery operated lights I have that always seem to die when you need them. Among other purchases were a bilge pump and a new battery box.

I am also thinking of adding a fuel/water separator...does anyone have any good/bad comments about using them on small boats with small OBs?

Got a chance to work on her some more today. Ripped out the old front "seat" and will be converting it to a hatch like what was orignially on the boat. Also put in the through hull for the bilge pump and applied my reg numbers that came today from BoatUS along with my PA sticker. Everything looks great except for the fact the PA sticker is bright blue and doesn't exactly match the camo theme for duck hunting.

Pic is the old deck that got ripped out today.

2011-06-15_18-53-18_374 by dallas10c, on Flickr

Spent the last day with my son adding the camo to the outside of the hull. It is a combination of Max-4 and another pattern I found at a craft store. On the Max-4 we didn't do the leaf layer and we used green instead of one layer of light brown because we were starting with a tan background vesus a olive background. The olive just wouldn't work where we duck hunt in the fall and winter. We needed more shades of brown with a little green and black mixed in.

What do you think??? I'll take more pics when I pull her away from the garage later this evening.

camo by dallas10c, on Flickr

Started framing the front battery compartment/storage hatch today. Got it all planned out and framed and then realized I didn't have the right length stainless bolts to attach it to the angle iron. I am also going to be adding short supports on the crossmember along the aluminum sheeting facing to the rear. Tomorrow I will stop and then get it mounted and the ply cover on it and ready for carpeting.

2011-06-19_18-55-55_318 by dallas10c, on Flickr

Here is also another pic of the camo up by the bow.

2011-06-19_18-57-41_583 by dallas10c, on Flickr

Latest posts