bowfishing missouri

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbd6c6

Reaction score
Anybody had much luck yet this year? Ive been cruising around a creek that drains to the Missouri River but haven't even seen a fish. Where do the fish go in winter? Do they like to be in warmer or colder water? Has anyone seen my keys?

They go deep.

Starting to see a lot of carp and gar on KY Lake. It's about time to get after them if I can put the fishing rod down and kill my 2 turkeys pretty quickly.

We're still a couple weeks away here in Tennessee. The lake levels are now up high enough to put the water in the weeds but it's still a bit too early. You can usually count on the first week in May here in Knoxville to kick off carp and gar season.

Went out last night after dark and saw a few carp and a few gar but nothing to get excited about.

Around Stockton lake a few weeks ago when water was realy high a bunch of guys made a killing on Buffalo around the little sac arm in the waterfowl refuge pond. Haven't been back in a few weeks but the carp and buffalo were everywhere then.

We made a run two weeks ago on Kentucky Lake and whacked some massive longnose gar. Biggest ones I've ever shot.

Caught this bad boy on the Lamine River 3 days ago. Almost broke my arrow!

Attachments

• IMG_0751.JPG
    IMG_0751.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7,152
No trouble finding those fish now. Everywhere I looked there were carp cruising around.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 7,143
  • IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 7,143
  • IMG_0798.JPG
    IMG_0798.JPG
    449.2 KB · Views: 7,143
I've been out the last four days in a rown killing more than my little boat can even haul. Last night I filled it up so heavy that the bow was scooping water my whole two mile ride back to the dock. I've been shooting where the creeks dump into the snake river. The spawn is on right now in southern idaho....banks are going crazy with spawners. The creeks are dumping out at about 64 degrees but the river is still at 51. My smallmouth spots are all taken over by grass carp now.....so they all need to be killed. I've got pictures of every outing so far so I will post them as soon as I can. Finally got a new puter so I will be posting pics like crazy very soon.

Keep it up LeviStevenson! I'm about to head overseas to Malaysia for summer. Hopefully they'll have some fish to shoot over there.

Do you guys ever eat those carp of gar? I watched an episode of Swamp People on the History channel where a couple of "dem" cajun boys caught a gar, and ate it. They boiled it first, then made patties with them, kinda like salmon patties. I'm just curious, because all we've ever done with them around here is throw em up on the bank. It sure sucks when you're pulling up to a bush hook that's active, and it's a dang gar. Had my mind all set on greasin' a lip with a big ole catfish :shock: . Maybe I'm missing something good.

Gar are actually very good to eat. No bones in the meat alongside their backbone, on top of the ribs. It is good just about any way you want to cook it including grilled.

Ncfishin, I have seen every episode of Swamp People. Love that show. I ate an Asian carp I caught the other day. Fried it up with some onions and breading, similar to the way they did on SP. It was ok, kind of bland. Haven't tried a gar yet. Was about to but realized my pathetic little kitchen knife stood no chance against the gar scales. Soon though. I hate when people leave their fish on the bank though. There's a great spot by my house to shoot but it stinks to high heaven because everyone just leaves their fish there. I try and bag as many as I can fit with trash sacks but still they remain. I'd recommend asking around for farmers or fertilizer plants if they want your fish. Lots of times people will grind them up into food for their animals. At least drag them deep into the woods or to a dumpster. Hell, maybe a homeless shelter. I could feed an army with the carp we pull out of the river. I just hate giving the animal rights people any ammo against the great service we bow fishers provide. :D

jbd6c6 said:
Ncfishin, I have seen every episode of Swamp People. Love that show. I ate an Asian carp I caught the other day. Fried it up with some onions and breading, similar to the way they did on SP. It was ok, kind of bland. Haven't tried a gar yet. Was about to but realized my pathetic little kitchen knife stood no chance against the gar scales. Soon though. I hate when people leave their fish on the bank though. There's a great spot by my house to shoot but it stinks to high heaven because everyone just leaves their fish there. I try and bag as many as I can fit with trash sacks but still they remain. I'd recommend asking around for farmers or fertilizer plants if they want your fish. Lots of times people will grind them up into food for their animals. At least drag them deep into the woods or to a dumpster. Hell, maybe a homeless shelter. I could feed an army with the carp we pull out of the river. I just hate giving the animal rights people any ammo against the great service we bow fishers provide. :D

Get a set of tin snips to open up the gar.

You are right, leaving dead fish on the bank is total BS and no excuse for it, other than being a lazy looser.

As for eating gar, I hear that you can use tin snips and cut on either side of the dorsal fin and get out the "tenderloins" along each side and cook them up.

Whatever you do, DON'T eat the eggs from gar whether accidentally or on purpose! They are known to be toxic.

Made it to the river today for the first time of the season. I fished a creek for a couple hours and saw some schooling carp, but they were pretty small. Few more weeks til the rest show up.

Latest posts