New (To Me) Motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Thanks Ultra353, that drove me craxy yesterday so as soon as I got home I drained some of the oil and it looked just fine. I only had the motor in the water once before I changed the gear lube in it and many times with the new lube in it so I think i just had a loose fill or drain plug ( hopefully).

Ictalurus said:
This is where there appears to be water exiting. Not much of a stream, kind of blown out with exhaust or some air pressure.

That is the exhaust relief port. Yes that is your water indicator and is doing exactly what it is suppose to be doing. Most of the water and exhaust comes out down below near the foot.

You were concerned about the shift handle lever. If your want to replace it, you will have to remove the powerhead if I remember correctly.

You can get a machine shop to fashion a small piece of aluminum with a cut out at the bottom that houses over the remain portion of the shift handle(if there is enough lip). Then drill through the both the aluminum piece and the shift handle and place a bolt threw it to secure it on. Spray paint it white. (good...no power head removal)

Same thing can be done with a piece of sturdy wood (although not as durable as the aluminum or metal attachment).

Or in a pinch....... :wink: pair of visegrips........yeeehaaaa swamp style :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Just a thought......Your motor looks great....it will surely give you good service if properly maintained.

Polished up the old '66 and she looks great. Scored some decals on ebay (I remember when ebay was a deal), primed and painted. Found a replacement shift handle also. The missing rich/lean knob is on it's way.

Attachments

• DSCF0302.JPG
    DSCF0302.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,243
  • DSCF0297.JPG
    DSCF0297.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,243
  • DSCF0289.JPG
    DSCF0289.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,243
Nice job!!!! Shoot a video when you get her running......she is going to drag that 14footer all over the lake. You should be able to get 25mph easy with her.

cajuncook1 said:
Nice job!!!! Shoot a video when you get her running......she is going to drag that 14footer all over the lake. You should be able to get 25mph easy with her.

Thanks man, I'm hoping to be able to pull some kids on a tube with it. Will be a tremendous upgrade from my 8 hp.

I just bought the same size/year motor off of CL today and mine also has the broken shift lever and is not staying cranked. Can only get it to fire off with starter fluid then it immediately dies off. I have been told that it sounds like a fuel problem so I plan on cleaning the carb and getting a rebuild kit for it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. I'm replacing a 6hp evinrude with this Johnson on my 14 foot Ouichita.

Question for Ictalurus, how did you replace the shift lever and how hard was it to do? How much of the lever was broken and where did you find your replacement part?

As always thank to everyone for their replies and suggestions. Everyone on here has always been great!!

when I started up my motor it wasnt spittin any water at all. I found the intake and every thing was fine, but there was a dirt dopper nest in the water line where it spits out, so I had to take that off and feed tooth picks through it and water until it was clean. Now runs like achamp. (2000 honda bf8 fourstroke sat for 5 years without being ran)

J.C. said:
Question for Ictalurus, how did you replace the shift lever and how hard was it to do? How much of the lever was broken and where did you find your replacement part?

Sorry for the late response. I bought the shift lever from Southcentral Outboards ([email protected]) through ebay. Only transaction I have made with them and product was delivered to my door in good condition. The lever was broken at the base, I was lucky that I only had to replace the lever and not the pin going into the motor, so it took all of a few minutes.

J.C. said:
I just bought the same size/year motor off of CL today and mine also has the broken shift lever and is not staying cranked. Can only get it to fire off with starter fluid then it immediately dies off. I have been told that it sounds like a fuel problem so I plan on cleaning the carb and getting a rebuild kit for it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. I'm replacing a 6hp evinrude with this Johnson on my 14 foot Ouichita.

As always thank to everyone for their replies and suggestions. Everyone on here has always been great!!

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that starter fluid was not to be used in 2 strokes?

Yeah I found out that starter fluid was a bad idea from a friend of mine. I had a friend help me rebuild the carb and boy does it run awesome! I am glad that a picture of the motor was posted in here because now I realize I am misssing the plate that goes right in front of the carb, someone apartlenty tried rebuild this thing before and messed it up.

This is a huge difference from the 6hp evinrude that I still have. Now it's just time to fix the shifter handle and the rest of the carb, which I hope to be doing this weekend.

Latest posts