1975 Fisher Marine Bateau 1438 Mod -**NEW PICS OCT 16**

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmac3569

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the site. I found it looking for ideas because I wanted to put a deck in the front of my boat I inherited from my Grandfather. After checking out the boats here I have decided to go all out, ha ha. I currently have the boat broken down all the way to bare bones and hope to paint this weekend. I had a thread going in the boat house because I had some questions but thought I should move it here since it will be a full conversion. The following is some background from my original post and I will repost the pics here also.

"This was a boat my grandfather bought in 1975 along with a 1975 Johnson outboard that is still as clean as a pin but needs to have the carb cleaned, tuned up, etc. It seems to be in really solid shape structurally but needs some serious cleaning and painting before I start to deck it in. I have removed the rotten wood from the transom as you can see in the last pic and replaced the trolling motor mount wood in the front.

The seats will acutually adjust (slide forward and back, and tighten down from the top with a flathead screwdriver) so that gives me some flexibility as far as deck size, etc. I am looking for ideas since I am just getting started with the project and I am open to suggestions. Mainly looking for ideas for where to put the bench seats to maximize the layout, but any ideas are welcome. "

Attachments

• 0704111623.jpg
    0704111623.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 10,967
What I started with. Transom wood removed in other pic.

Attachments

• bow.jpg
    bow.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 10,906
  • transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 10,906
When I did the transom work above I was not planning on painting the entire boat or doing a large scale mod. Since the last pic is when I decided to strip it down and totally redo everything.

Attachments

• 18 jul 11c.jpg
    18 jul 11c.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 10,906
Took apart the seats, cleaned, etc.

Attachments

• 20 jul 11 c.jpg
    20 jul 11 c.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 10,903
  • 20 Jul 11b.jpg
    20 Jul 11b.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 10,903
  • 20 Jul 11 a.jpg
    20 Jul 11 a.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 10,903
Working on sanding the interior now. This gets me back up to date. As of this post everything is new.

Attachments

• 21 Jul 11 a.jpg
    21 Jul 11 a.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 10,903
One question while I am thinking about it. When I took the old wood out of the transom There were "panhead bolts / Machine screws) that went from the back of the boat, through the plywood into the interior of the boat. The ones I took out were aluminum! Very light, ha ha. I want to replace these but the biggest bolt of this type that I can find is 1/4 instead of 5/16. If I go up to the 5/16 they are all hex head bolts. I am looking at stainless since I don't even know where I would find aluminum. Any ideas where I can find these? Or just use the hex head? The reason I like the pan head style that came out is because they look like a rivet from the outside of the boat.

My local True value has drawer upon drawer of stainless. Allens, lags, pan head, hex head, you name it. Not cheap but local and available. Ace hardware a has a decent selection as well.

Found the hardware, definately not cheap but it was what I was looking for.

I am priming the interior now. I bought the paint that I want to use for the interior. It is a west marine non skid paint. I have read in other posts to use a pro foam roller to apply it and a brush in the tight places. What type of brush should I use? A regular paint brush with bristles? Or one of the foam brushes? Seems like the foam would not leave brush strokes but I want to make sure before I start.

Well decided I did not want to spend a $100 for a gallon of paint and I took it back to west marine. When I was returning it a guy in the store told me he didn't like that paint anyway, didn't work well for him. So I spent $30 for a gallon of rustoleum aluminum paint. I figured I might as well use something cheaper since most of the inside of the boat will be covered with decking anyway.

Finished priming the interior today. Will paint tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

About 1/3 of the boat painted with the first coat. I think I would have been further along had I not spilt mineral spirts in the boat which ran down the groves and thinned my primer for me. :cry: Had to redo part of it, but done now.

Taking a break for a couple of days, bought a new truck (new to me) and trying to get my old one ready to sale. Hopefully more pics soon.

Too humid to paint today so I broke down the carb from the 25 hp Johnson that came with the boat. It has not been cranked in probably 8 years. Had white chaulky powder inside the carb which I assume is whats left of the fuel? Hopefully can get back to painting later this week.

The white chaulky powder is actually the ethonal in the gas reacting with the aluminum body of the carb. I would make sure you put a stabilzer in your fuel that counteracts this problem.

Thanks, could that have been from the starter fluid I sprayed in trying to get it started? Or just the ethonol in the old gas? If it was from the old gas, where is the gas? Why not gummed up?

I read on this site (after I tried it) that starter fluid in a 2 stroke is not a good idea.

Latest posts