Impeller sharpening

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turner032, if I am looking at your picture right, you sharpen the opposite side of the impeller than Lil Blue Rude. Am I seeing right?

That throws my pea picken brain in a tail spin then!!! WHO IS RIGHT!!! Just try and see which way works best for you?

i guess my advice is that a sharp impeller will run faster than a dull impeller. I know everyone sucks up rocks, and sometimes you cant help it. but if you make an effort to keep your impeller sharp, that is where the grunt of your performance comes from.

sharpening top vs. sharpening bottom = chevys vs. fords

That polished impeller looks nice, but would not last long the way I run my boat. It sees to many rocks and gravel shoals to stay that way. I agree a sharpened impeller does help. I see the biggest difference in my hole shot. When my impeller gets to bad I have to ease into the throttle and start off slow, because the RPMs get to high and the jet goes to sucking air. I do not see much difference in the top end, but of course I am not looking for top end since I run a dangerous river with a 16' boat and a converted 175 that will only run about 40 mph and most days I only run about 30, so I am not using a lot of gas and it gives me time to see obstacles.

Question. My impeller has some pretty severe cavitation burns on it. They are old and don't appear to have gotten any worse since I redid the transom and everything on my boat. How much are they costing me in efficiency? I'm thinking its just time to bite the bullet and buy a new impeller/ liner and be done with it. Any of you guys gone to stainless and have a 6 1/8 Aluminum in decent shape laying around that you want to sell?

Raven205 said:
Old post but very useful information..
What are the Odds that Lil Blue Rude would post his pictures again, they seem to be missing...
That would be awesome!

that would be great.

I found this on the Explorer Industries FaceBook..

Attachments

• Sharpen6.png
    Sharpen6.png
    884.3 KB · Views: 1,658
  • Sharpen5.png
    Sharpen5.png
    825.1 KB · Views: 1,658
  • Sharpen4.png
    Sharpen4.png
    839 KB · Views: 1,658
  • Sharpen3.png
    Sharpen3.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,658
  • Sharpen2.png
    Sharpen2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,658
  • Sharpen1.png
    Sharpen1.png
    923.3 KB · Views: 1,658
LOL It is opposite of the Outboard Jets instructions. I was hoping Lil Blue Rude would chime in with comments as I think this is how he does it to, he may have a few good suggestions.. I have been working over the old spare impeller that came with my boat but did the wrong side to start with.. Sigh. Three more months to try it out. These instructions were buried deep on Explorers Facebook page.

That's pretty much the profile I try to put on mine. Couldn't find any of my old pics.
It's backwards from what outboard jets says and most guys will argue it's wrong. :roll: Quicksilver stainless impeller come factory with this style edge, they bite better and normally gain on topend.

Latest posts