2011 BYOB Labor Day Fishing Tournament! Winner is Fender66!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like we are all in for a rough weekend of weather/fishing. Just checked and rain all day Sunday and Monday the weather looks good except for the 23 mph average wind all day!!

This will make this contest more interesting!!

Jeff

I'll start the contest off with this guy...

2011-09-03Laborday1.jpg

I did not catch him on a BYOB bait nor did I pick up trash... There was no trash at the launch and the BYOB fish caught were smaller. :? I did have a 2 foot something interested in the BYOB bait, but he just wouldn't open his mouth, went at it from every direction before he finally drifted off to the weeds :( My partner landed one about 4 inches longer than mine, to bad he's not a tinboats guy yet.

BTW - It was 60mph winds,hail, and lightning storms, knocked out power around. We went out, lauched in the last few raindrops. The sun even came out for a while, now it's back to more rain. :(

I manged on 12" LM Bass that I did not photo - then flipped the boat on its side on the way home from the lake

Boat will survive - my new Powell rod will not

wasilvers said:
BTW - It was 60mph winds,hail, and lightning storms, knocked out power around. We went out, lauched in the last few raindrops. The sun even came out for a while, now it's back to more rain. :(

Sounds better than what I was doing. I had to pour some concrete to make a step extension for my shed. Sure only 2 80# bags of concrete mix, but I was drenched with sweat afterwards. Now it's off to the shower and then time to lay down for a bit before work.

I didn't do all that great today either. This was the first time I can remember where my car was the only one in the parking lot at the ramp. Maybe everyone else knew something I didn't. Lots of small fish, my biggest was only 12". I guess Will has the lead so far! I'll try to get out again this weekend.
090311170730.jpg

Captain Ahab said:
I manged on 12" LM Bass that I did not photo - then flipped the boat on its side on the way home from the lake

Man that sucks! How did that happen?

I wish I would've seen this sooner! Spent the whole day fishing a club tournament and just now saw this! I did hook a real nice largemouth today around 18" but he threw the hook at the surface causing me to place second. I do love this tournament idea though!

Bobscreekboy said:
I wish I would've seen this sooner! Spent the whole day fishing a club tournament and just now saw this! I did hook a real nice largemouth today around 18" but he threw the hook at the surface causing me to place second. I do love this tournament idea though!

You'll just have to go tomorrow!

BYOB Fishing said:
Captain Ahab said:

Man that sucks! How did that happen?

Came around a corner to find the oncoming car coming into my lane - served and trailer wheel caught the edge of the road - all i hear is a "scrapeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" and look to see the boat on its side

Some nice people stopped and helped me flip the boat back up.

Casualties were light - my Powell Endurance was a loss. My St. Croix Premier lost a guide and the Star Nicklelight was unscathed

Bent a guide on pretty good - I think that saved everything else

Plowed up a bunch of dirt that I vacuumed out

Took it back out last night and it worked fine

Seriously I'm glad you didn't get hit/hurt. Stuff is just stuff and can be replaced. Powell Endurance is a pretty decent and pricey rod isn't it? Have you entered in the Denali rod contest? Maybe you could win a replacement?

Ok, I got an entry for the contest.........maybe.

Caught this 19.5 incher this am and went to take my pic and realized my quarter had fallen out of my pocket I guess while digging to change baits. I was pond hopping so I just stuffed everything I could in my pockets..... Only round thing I had with me. weighed 4 lbs 3 oz.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwOTMuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAwOTYuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAwOTUuanBn.jpg

might be dq cause the quarter, but my intentions were there!

Jeff

Just got back from the little lake about 10 minutes from my house. It was so good to get out again, and to make it even better, my wife went with me. If I didn't catch fish...it still would have been a wonderful night with her.

BUT.....I did catch fish. Got three of them on a tequila sunrise power worm. First fish was just under 13 inches and the second was right at 14 1/2 inches....then about 20 minutes before we left I had to hit one more spot and landed this baby. Not the biggest I've pulled from this lake, but I don't see them this size often in this lake. She was just over 17 inches and weighed in at 3.97 lb..

Here's the pic with the quarter. Might go back out tomorrow if the weather is nice cause I lost a couple others that I'd like to catch. Don't think they were as big as this one though.

Good luck guys. I sure would like that BYOB prize though. :mrgreen:

Edit with additions from today:

Today I went back out to the same lake. Fished about 4 1/2 hours...maybe 5??? Caught 5 fish in that time. Three smaller LM in the 10-12 inch range. One in the 14 in range and also this one. (See top picture in post. THIS IS MY FINAL FISH SUBMISSION FOR THIS CONTEST and my quarter is in the picture.) Thought it was nearly the same length of the one I caught/submitted last night until I just now compared the photos. This one is nearly a half inch longer than yesterday's fish. I tried to weigh it, but my battery was dead today and the scale kept turning off. I'm guessing it's right around the same weight. Definitely longer, but I think just a bit thinner. Today was totally different than last night. The tequila sunrise worm didn't lure a bass today at all so after a little over an hour, I switched to my black and blue worm. Within 5 or 6 casts I caught my first LM today. Stuck with that for a long time and caught a total of 4 LM on it. I was really getting tired of the bluegill tearing them up though and the bass seemed to have stopped wanting it so I switched to a red shad worm. After about 8 or 10 minutes I caught the big one. This guy really was text book worm fishing. When it hit, it wasn't a hard hit and I knew it wasn't bluegill because it wasn't the "machine gun" action I'd been getting. After about the third twitch, I set the hook so hard I nearly lost my balance. He put up a good fight but I still won. Really was one of the best 2 visits I've had on this lake in the 2 years I've fished it. I just wish I could catch fish in this lake on something other than plastic worms. I won't complain though. I seem to have it somewhat figured out. (I'm sure that will jinx me now)

Again...good luck guys.

Attachments

• Simpson090411_3.97LM.jpg
    Simpson090411_3.97LM.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,572
  • Simpson090311_3.97.jpg
    Simpson090311_3.97.jpg
    1,013.3 KB · Views: 1,572
  • Simpson 090411.jpg
    Simpson 090411.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,536
00 mod said:
utf-8BSU1BRzAwOTQuanBn.jpg

Of course this pic doesn't have my dip can "round" item

I hate to say it, but the photo of the fish has to include the fish next to the tape, with the item...

Nice fish though, maybe you can go back today and catch her again today!

Not a problem. I completly understand I am not.within the rules. Went back today with no luck.
Jeff