multi-purpose fishing boat out of a G3 pf175. photo heavy.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

200racing

Reaction score
it time for my project and build thread; as deer season is over and my first tourn. is 2/18.(cutting it close)

to start thanks jim for the site and everyone who has shared their knowledge. =D> hope to put it to good use.

be forewarned i am not great at turning my thoughts into words.i butcher and leave stuff out all over the place.

check list.
[strike]tear out old carpet[/strike]
[strike]remove old glue residue[/strike]
[strike]fix drainage[/strike]
[strike]remove dead 350gph livewell pump[/strike]
[strike]remove 1 of the 4 gallon livewells[/strike]
[strike]remove heavy floor[/strike]
new carpet on decks
[strike]seal the deck wood[/strike][strike]extend rod holder[/strike]
[strike]add rod storage[/strike][strike]install new 500gph livewell pump[/strike]
[strike]install 15 gallon livewell[/strike]install rod holders for fishing
[strike]paint vertical surfaces[/strike]install bluewater leds
[strike]wire in bank lights[/strike][strike]install new aluminum floors[/strike]add pedestal seats
[strike]add 3 hatches[/strike]
i bought this boat last fall knowing i was going to cut into it. being a panfisher model it had almost no rear deck. it had two 4 gallon livewells that barely held 5, 12'' bass. it also had two 1 gallon minnow wells. the carpet and interior tells a story of being left outside alot.

how i got her

boatproject.jpg

boat001.jpg

boat002.jpg

boat004.jpg

boat003.jpg

what im doing

im setting this thing for super night fishing. daytime fishing inthe summer with the heat and pleasure boats blaring rap music ruins fishing for me.

i often have 2 people tag along so i ma adding the front deck to make to on the front as easy as possible.

im add alot of rear deck for my boat mate and storage.

im adding a few thing the make it easier to go after any thing that swims.

newboat.jpg

the only place that gets new carpet in the decks where you walk. all verticle sufaces are getting painted along with the new aluminum lower floor.

its getting blue water leds and 2 of these
boat021.jpg
to shine on the bank so i can see where to cast. i have come up with a way to mount these all over the boat.its pretty cool but youll have to wait. :twisted:

its getting 4 rod holder on rear set up in trolling configuration(2 facing aft 2 facing the sides).
boat025.jpg

the will be painted to match

the live well system in the boat has two intakes on either side of the drain hole the feed 2 350 gph livewell pumps. the driver side pump is hooked to a aluminum pipe the goes around to in front of the console.it T's there and fed the 4gall LW and the front minnow bucket. the port side is plumbed in to metal pipe the goes around the port side to the passenger seat T's to feed those 2 wells. the small minnow buckets have valves so they only run as needed.
front/driverside minnow bucket. nicknamed "the toilet" cause of the roung lid
boat007.jpg

back/passenger
boat005.jpg

the livewell under the passenger seat. it stays for back-up in tournaments and holding big bait.
boat006.jpg

the system has two switches/timers so keeping the general layout saves time and $$$.
this is the livewell in front on the console. it is being removed for good. this is where the battery for my lights will be stored.
boat008.jpg
i am stealing the plumping for my new 15gallon live well
boat022.jpg

the driverside pump hasnt worked since i got the boat. i am taking the oppertunity to bump it up to 500 gph pump
boat023.jpg

another veiw of the front storage(w/latch) livewell and "the toilet"
boat003.jpg

i am extending the front deck 27'' in this 24'' wide ally way. the new livewell is going under here against the console. i am mounting a horizontal rod holder on the outside of the rod locker and cutting a tunnell under the deck for them. it still leaves plenty of foot room for the passenger and its a fishing boat not a cruiser. i have a cooler that stays under the consonsole out of the sun.

boat004.jpg

the neew deck comes up the back of the seats. 30'' from the current old edge.
boat015.jpg

you can see that U shape is welded structure,foam and fuel tank so it isnt going any where. new storage goes inside there and will be around (18''x30'')2. those big seatpost and mounts are gone. changing over lock-n-pins 3/4 system.

i have gained so much confidence doing this project.i now know everything about my boat as far as routing, design and repair access. this g3 is built like a tank. all decking is 3/4'' wood and the deck frame is welded 1x2. it is also very easy to work on. i completly took it apart with a phillips srcew drive and boxcutter.

at this point all carpet and wood is out exept the floor. you can see in this photo the left corner shows where the deck meets the rodlocker.
boat013.jpg

im cutting a oval hole for the rod holder on the outside. then im taking out the plate and foam block on that side so i can put a 8'rod in the main locker and a 7' in the new holder.

i am not taking foam out ofnthe boat. im put i somewhere out of the way and as close to were it came as possible to keep the factory ballance.im also adding foam in some to so it should be better than i found it.

the factory glue on the metal was rubbery and tough. you could grab it with pliers and it would stretch 6'' before it broke.
boat014.jpg
here im playing with stuff to get rid of the glue on the metal.
i tried paint thinner,gas,paint stripper,goof off,wd40 and pb blaster. pb was best. i would spray it on hit it witha wire brush on a drill then wipe with a gas rag. it was slow and a went through my pb blaster quick.

then i struck gold...... xylene. put in a old windex bottle sprayed it on. let it sit a minute use a scraper then wipe clean with a rag.

rather just ripping out the floor carpet and wood i trimmed the carpet to the size of the new floor. i then scratched it hard with wood chissel then spraypainted the edge
boat017.jpg
worked good.

i thought it might have drainage problem as the floor never truely dried.and by what i found under the front storage tub.
boat012.jpg

raised the jack as high as possible and it went nowhere......and heres why.
boat020.jpg
g3 didnt think giving the water anywhere to go was need in a boat! the metal pipe in the photo is the drain for the port livewell. just below the photo bottom it is aluminum plate on top of the foam till 4'' from the transom. so it presents a extra challenge

this concludes tear-down and my photo supply at this point.
i have fixed the drainage issues and hope to start building friday.
updates with more photos friday night or saturday.

front drainage
boat027.jpg

center trench
boat028.jpg

it was solid foam under this metal. i took 3/4''pvc and cut the tip at a ngle then sharpened it with the dremel to make a giant hypodermic needle.
boat029.jpg

it drains great now.

primed most of my surfaces
boat030.jpg

the floor i marked before removing
boat026.jpg

floor transferd to 1/8 aluminum first coat of primer.
boat032.jpg

first peices of rear deck going in. 1.5x1.5x1/8 angle stock.
boat035.jpg

boat034.jpg

heck of a build =D> hope it all goes well, and turns out like you envision.

Check out the Nucli-Eye Atom blacklights if you like fishing at night. I mounted two on my transom for night fishing.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15412&start=75

got a big part of the puzzle done today.
boat036.jpg
rear deck is framed up ready for wood.

since these will be storage hatches i dont want to lose stuff in this hole.
boat037.jpg

i dont want to seal these off either.
boat039.jpg

put a washer between the floor and my cover. made a mini storm drain.

boat040.jpg

one place i am undesided about is wher to mount the seat base.
the marks in the fore ground are the middle of the span the mark futher away is the middle of deck.

where would you put it?

Cant really say where to put your seat mount.. No opinion here really.. :(

Looks like it's starting to come together as far as you decking... Keep the pics going.

ShowMeGuy

gtot the floor and side trim peice in today
boat045.jpg

reinforced driver seat base and installed with stainless hardware.
boat041.jpg

my console has a serious tanline.
boat043.jpg

got any ideas to restore the color, restain or something?

\:D/ its like christmas today \:D/

boat055.jpg

boat057.jpg

came in this afternoon start wiring them in tommorow.

my pic quality will be down since i filled the sd card on my camera and lost the charger. #-o but my cell has a desent camera.

now about the bank lights.......time for the reveal
boat065.jpg
my mounting system. look dumb like this.

but then..... bank fishing mode
boat071.jpg

bowfishing,gigging,fish attracting mode
boat074.jpg

im doing the wiring so they can clamp on the gunnells on both sides,front and rear. very flexible.

all it took to make is 2 vicegrips(i ended up using them when framing so i just madethem today) and about 1' of 4''x.25'' steel strap. it comes in 20' lengths. we use it in our business for flowerbed edging. i rounded and smoothed the corners and edges with a bench grinder and wire brush so they wont knick line. to finish them im painting them, gluing innertube were it contacts the gunnells and putting liquid eletric tape on the edges for extra line protection.

what else ive been up to

boat048.jpg

boat070.jpg

did the front deck extension and installed the live well. it has 1 layer of foam in this side and the top. 4 on bottom and port side.

got all the wood cut. the rear deck is now 25 square feet and the front is 35 square feet.
the orag=nge wood in the middle was cut from the old floor. they are my 2 new hatch covers
boat058.jpg

dont have a pic of the front

:?: now i have another puzzle for you :?: .....why did i do this to my seat bases?
boat060.jpg

boat064.jpg

Great work so far. I like how you are improving on the existing design by adding changing the floor plan to your specs and preference, adding the drainage, and replacing the wood floors with aluminum. Probably 100lbs lighter already!

They make a special kind of paint for vinyl and plastic. They also make paint that is specially designed for painting car dashboards and interiors. A guy I work with painted a Dash mounted programmer for his 500hp 850lb ft tourque Diesel Ford Excursion. He had Sherwin williams match the color to the factory ford dashboard color. They have standard colors or you can get it custom mixed to the exact color you want. The paint was a perfect match and it flexes with the material it is painted to. You can also buy the same product (different brand name) at any autoparts store in a spray can.

Maybe that is the cure for the tan lines on your side console?????????

200 - Coming along nicely and I am not sure why you did that to your seat bases :-k are you gonna tell us???

I do really like your light idea =D>

so i welded a nut under the base.
boat079.jpg

the nut is so i can screw in a eye bolt
boat081.jpg

the eye bolt is where i hook the come-a-long
boat082.jpg

the come-a-long will will be used to tighten the cables strung under my elavated platform. im think i am gong to get 2 shower chairs(front and rear) from the thrift mart and take the back off the put a larger flat platform where the seat is. i got the idea from flats boats. i love to sight fish and fly fish some. i think it will help flipping and pitching also.
stand.jpg

a shower chair for those who didnt know
0104426.jpg

what im making out of it
skiff.jpg

you can get the chairs new for $30 hardware was $5 or less so its a very budget friendly mod.

Latest posts