Decking-When and when not to.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rule No. 1 - If you're stressing over it, you're doing it wrong.

I like that! Thanks for the advice. I will get there. I like the idea of the cardboard template that others are doing. I will start with that. All I really want is a floor and carpet for noise reduction and flat surfaces. Way too shallow of a boat for a deck.

Great Topic! Just joined the site and was considering decking my boat, and all of you have provided very much useful information

thanks

Super topic and a lot of interesting input. I was wondering what options I would have, and from the
general guidelines there are plenty.
The numbering/model conventions make my boat a 2075 with a 52" bottom width,
DSC00084.jpg

so stablilty in the lateral plane when decked near the top of the gunnel should be ok.
I'm still trying to figure out the fore/aft ballance.......next thread? :)

Hey all, this is a terrible picture (It is more of my chicken $hit dog hiding in the bow) but it shows my first attempt at a "floor" and carpeting on a boat. I have since removed the staples that were a temporary measure to ensure the glue sets well...

It is a Starcraft Seafearer....

doginboat.jpg

Actually, by the time I got to the middle seat I figured out to wrap the seat with the carpet. It is not pretty but it makes fishing a little more fun and we can set stuff down without making a racket or tipping everything we put down over.

Hows it goin? Looks like i stumbled across a thread that may provide some answers.

I am new to the whole boating thing, not even sure if i have established what kind of boat i have. I am thinking it is a Semi-V...?
My current plans are to deck from the back of the existing middle seat completely to the front of the boat. I was either going to stand off a few inches from existing seats or just use seats as a deck mount.

Does this seem like a bad idea for this style boat? She measures....

Length- 12'
Transom Height - 15 1/2"
Transom Width - 54-58"
Longest Width at top of boat - 60"

Also unsure the best way to mount deck at the front of the boat (unsupported area) I can rivit standoff ledger angles. The shape of the boat should hold the deck without ledger angles but will end up warping the aluminum through the years.

I have a thread open for discussing this rather than gettin in the way of OP's intentions. Come on over if you'd like to help me out, i have a ton of questions yet to be answered.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20946&p=213695#p213695

P7090037_800x600.jpg

P7090036_800x600-1.jpg

P7130038_800x600.jpg

The finished deck should look something like this....

2008_02170002Small.jpg

img0067zj1.jpg

I'm replacing the deck on a 1989 Tracker V-17. My son in law ripped out the decking and got rid of it before I could see how thick it was.

What thickness of plywood should I use to replace the decking?

I plan on buying exterior ply and using resin to seal it - but need to know how thick the decking should be to support a couple of 230 lb. fishermen. (I tried to search but couldn't get an answer.)

Hello all! I am new to this sort of thing, both forums and boat ownership. I eventually want to buy a larger boat with console steering etc... but being as I have 2 small children, money is relatively tight. I recently received a 2 year old Mercury 10 horse 4 stroke tiller from my father-in-law. In order to save money, I was considering buying an older 14' boat (Alumacraft, Lund, Mirrocraft etc...) and putting in my own flooring so my wife and I can still hit the water with the little ones. I've had my 3 year old in small boats and he does ok, though he can't get around the boat much with a tapered floor. I consider myself relatively handy and have no problem bucking rivets etc... My concern with building flooring for a small boat has more to do with design aspects and structural integrity. For example, I have seen pictures of what appeared to be at one time bench seat boats with the bench seats removed, and a low slung one piece floor running the length of the boat. Does removal of the bench seats weaken the boat without a cross support higher up? I know I cannot get advice on design specifics until I have actually located a hull to purchase and can supply more accurate measurements. My ideal rig would be one that has a large (relatively speaking for a smaller boat) open floor, a couple of pedistal seats for comfort, and possibly a small raised portion in the front. The front decking may not even need to be large enough to support a person, I just really want a bow mount trolling motor ;) I know this is a relatively vague post but I appreciate any advice and direction you all may provide. We've had warmer weather this winter here in Wisconsin and I can feel the itch coming to get out fishing and carp shooting! I'm getting myself pumped up to finally have my own boat and not rely on others to get me on the water. Thanks!
~PikeSlayer

I really could use some advice on this subject. I have a Tracker 1542 and I just ordered my seats and pedestals and carpet. I keep going back and forth whether to deck it to the top of the seat or about half way up just high enough to make the bow area level. I will be fishing with my two boys and I'm concerned about stability. The only advantage I see for decking to the top of the seats is storage. Will 6 inches in hight make much difference in stability?

So, I'm a newbie here, and I love the site. My respectful suggestion when it comes to decking is to wait until you've spent some time getting to know the boat first.

Nice article.. Just bought a boat and I am considering decking it and you've given me a few things to consider

I am looking for a boat to purchase and need some advice on what to get. We fish in back waters but have to cross a lake body about 2 miles wide. It can get a little choppy from wind and pleasure boats. I'm guessing a semi-v. I want to be able to stand on the deck and use a seat. What length, width, and style should I look for? Many jon boats come with a trolling motor instead of a gas motor. Is this really sufficient?

Trouble said:
I really could use some advice on this subject. I have a Tracker 1542 and I just ordered my seats and pedestals and carpet. I keep going back and forth whether to deck it to the top of the seat or about half way up just high enough to make the bow area level. I will be fishing with my two boys and I'm concerned about stability. The only advantage I see for decking to the top of the seats is storage. Will 6 inches in hight make much difference in stability?

I have a 1442 alumacraft without the center seat. It has a factory installed deck that is the same height as the rear bench seat. It is plenty stable standing up and walking around. I only weight 150lbs so I can't comment on how it would be for someone larger, if you are.

what type of wood are you guys using for the frame of the deck? I was going to use ARAUCO PLYWOOD ACX from lowes for the top deck just need to find out what to use for the deck frame?

Hello,
I'm new to this small boat madness and after finding this site I know I'm heading down a long road.
I just picked up a Traveler an-12 I think its a 1959 model. First I don't know how the hull shape is classed and how much it can be modded.
It's 12 ft with a 30 in width at the bottom flaring to 44 in at the top.
Any help or ideas?

Attachments

• smboat.jpg
    smboat.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 11,007
That was my thought after reading this thread. I would like to add 2 seats that are elevated off the benches. Might go with carpet covered plywood that extends across the back bench to the transom for storage.

screwballl said:
I think it all depends on the boat.

For 36" and skinnier at the base (including v-hulls), I would not deck any higher than the lowest bench, and even then only deck the very front and back, not the entire length. Full length is only recommended for 1442 and wider/longer.

On my 1436, my wood frame will be level with the top of the bench, with 5/8" plywood on top of that for the front deck. Then 1/2" plywood "floating" on top of rubber padding for the floor, not planning to screw that down for ease of cleaning.

I have a 1436 also, where did you put your battery and tank? From what I have seen on mine, there will not be enough clearance in front of the front bench to put the battery there. This is where it is now but the deck that is on it sticks up above the bench...as far as the gas tank, its in the back in front of the transom, its a 6gal tank and is too big IMO. I could go smaller I guess but lose the extra 3gal of gas :cry: I plan to redo the deck and floor as soon as funds become ready. Not really worried about the flooring, its the deck I will need the most help with, what size wood to use as a frame, should I use wood or just let the deck "Sit" against the sides, what size wood to use for the deck itself, things like that...

Latest posts