1965 FeatherCraft Lapstrake Ski Bo

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixgun86

Reaction score
It was time to consider the family and being able to take the ol'lady and the terrorist (3yr old) out with me this summer. My current boat, 1032 G3 wasn't up to the task. While looking at C-List yesterday this Feather craft popped up, what I believe to be 65' Lapstrake Ski Bo, being sold by an elderly man that had back surgery and wasn't able to take it out any longer. It has a 2008 Yamaha 4stroke 20hp with a new control box and teleflex remote steering installed. The paint job is a hack, but other wise it's a solid boat. Got to take it out in the river before the exchange and it planed out quick and was moderate in speed but this boat should have at least a 30hp. The way I look at it the boat may be under powered a bit but it will be extremely reliable. The outboard has 10hrs on it. :D

I thought about gutting the hull and making it a center console boat but I don't think I have the heart...

Attachments

• bbbackboat.jpg
    bbbackboat.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 8,144
  • bbackboat.jpg
    bbackboat.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 8,144
  • backboat.jpg
    backboat.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 8,144
  • bbbbfrontboat.jpg
    bbbbfrontboat.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 8,144
Six did you really just get another boat? man you're worse than a woman changing cloths every 5 minutes lol nice boat tough, you should paint it black an white an call it the " Moaning Lisa" lol thats what i was planning on naming mine but my wife said i couldnt because the kids would ask why it says moaning not mona.. :twisted:

Thanks Fella's.. I know, it's an addiction. Third this month. The first one has been sold strangely enough to a new member here on tinboats. The second, G3, will be sunk, painted, impeller replaced, and sold as a package next week. And the Feather, It's getting a paint job something serious. I wanted to paint it two tone black and white too! My ol'lady want's it to be green, like a teal. She is crazy.. Never got into naming them, don't know why. Thankfully my terrorist doesn't understand innuendo yet, but I do have to be careful what I say. She talks non stop about Deer and says "Righty tighty, Lefty Loosey".

A lot of guys on the feathercraft forum don't even paint, they polish.. Very time consuming! Looks awesome though.

Attachments

• P1010037.JPG
    P1010037.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 8,103
lol gotta love kids man, love em to death sometimes you wish litterally you could love them to death.. Im looking at naming mine Reaper or Cat slayer something cheesey just for people to ask why.

The moaning lisa thing actually came from my wife because her name is lisa and one night we were doing our thing and i stoped what i was doing and told her i finally figured out what i wanted to name the boat " the moaning lisa " she said " Really thats what you're thinking about right now " ....

Hey im an tinboater i can multitask dammit!! it just might not be the best idea to actually say exactly what you're thinking sometimes lol

JamesM56alum said:
" she said " Really thats what you're thinking about right now " ....

LOL! x9,999,999. Got caught watching the history channel one night. Took me a week to dig myself out of that hole. Back on topic, Hope this weekend the G3 will reach the bottom. Paint for the Feather in the next two weeks. Gotta get some free time.

I want a video of the boat sinking lol atleast pic's! i cant wait to get done working on this dudes truck so i can have my garage back,i have NEVER had this many problems putting a clutch/tranny in a truck. I swear this thing is cursed it's taking up all my time and all my room i keep looking at the boat it's upside down on the trailer and im using it as a freaking beer shelf untill im done.... :?

Pulled the floor tonight, getting ready for paint.

Attachments

• feather1.jpg
    feather1.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 8,053
  • feather2.jpg
    feather2.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 8,053
  • feather3.jpg
    feather3.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 8,053
That boat is awesome! It makes me wanna get a classic looking boat someday. Small and simple similar to that, just to go cruise.

Pulled the motor, wiring, and steering. Start working on the outside of the hull tomorrow.

Attachments

• bbc5.jpg
    bbc5.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 8,013
  • bbc4.jpg
    bbc4.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 8,013
  • bbc3.jpg
    bbc3.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 8,013
  • bbc2.JPG
    bbc2.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 8,013
  • bbc1.jpg
    bbc1.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 8,013
The big part of the buy was the 08' 4 Stroke Yamaha 20hp w/ new control box and teleflex. The motor doesn't even have a chip on the prop. Previous owner claims 10hrs since his health failed him. My dealer wants $3600 for a 2012 Yam 20hp and $350 for control box! And tax here is 10%! And to qualify for the warranty it has to be installed by a dealer. Add $200+ at least. So thats around $4550. It's ridiculous, all for a 20hp.

Update, Went to sand the boat yesterday. Paid a neighbor to help. He wasn't much help. Got about 1/5 done. Decided stripper was best. Stripper wasn't working very well. So now I'll be going to a fella's house tonight to wet blast it w/ fine sand in exchange for beer/liquor. Lol. Pics around midnight! The ol' lady is going to be PISSED!

Update* Pics! and the original s/n was found! At least some of it.. Trying to decipher it now.

Attachments

• blast3.jpg
    blast3.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 3,276
  • blast2.jpg
    blast2.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 3,276
  • blast1.jpg
    blast1.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 3,276
Very Nice, It took me two weekends to get just the outside done.......Im thinking next time of having mine blasted with walnut shells........That will give me more time for the adult beverages.

Looks great Six! I wish I knew someone who would blast my boat for a case of beer and a bottle of Jack! Would be well worth it considering I've already got about 10 hours in stripping, and I've just scratched the surface. That boat has some great lines, gotta love those runabouts from the 50's and 60's!

Latest posts