1648 Semi-V Jon Mod (Completed)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not at all... I ordered more last week for the stern deck. got it a few days ago and neither one is like that.
Which one did you order?
I got this one in smoke:
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Deluxe-Boat-Carpet/701848.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Ddeluxe%2Bcarpet%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=deluxe+carpet&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

neither....I ordered this...(same as gillhunter used on his build) https://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=35912&pdesc=Overtons_Daystar_16_oz_Marine_Carpeting_6_Wide&str=marine+carpeting&merchID=4005#details_box_holder
16oz.
I ordered it in sandstone...which is a good color for the green boat as I also duck hunt out of my rig.

Kevin,

Sorry you're having a reallly tough time with your carpet. I didn't have any problems with mine. It must have been a bad batch?

I have had problems with projects also. It's frustrating, but you have a great build going and it will be worth it in the end. If it were easy anyone could do it. :LOL2:

Yeah....I'm guessing it's a bad batch....frustrates me on the no return policy when it's clearly defective.
You're right on the issues...it happens.....just need to step away for a bit and regroup.....I'm usually a measure 4 times cut once kind of guy....but for whatever reason, I really screwed the pooch...lol....plus add in the defective materials and well...it is just one of those weeks....
Like I said....will do me good to slow down, step back and wait for the next carpeting to arrive..as long as it's not from the same roll! :mrgreen:

If your anything like me, then your prone to it. I get excited, go too fast and too often screw up causing my own problems! :lol:

Figured out a way to salvage my deck extension and still make it work like it should....With a little...ahem....creative trim work it should still look good. 8) Can't do anything with the carpet issue though...it's just pure defective junk.

<<<Edit>>>> The drop ship company (Overtons through Gander Mountain) requested pictures to be sent of the carpet before they would accept return. I called Overtons and they received the pictures but forwarded them on to the carpet manufacturer....so I have to wait to hear from them. :roll:

Attachments

• 2012-02-09 14.47.20.jpg
    2012-02-09 14.47.20.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,580
  • 2012-02-09 14.45.54.jpg
    2012-02-09 14.45.54.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,580
  • 2012-02-09 14.48.38.jpg
    2012-02-09 14.48.38.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,580
Man that sucks. Seems like you can't catch a break. Do you happen to have any pics of the good side of that carpet? I'm trying to decide between Sandstone and Khaki and it's hard to tell from the little thumbnail pics online. I'm kinda scared about ordering sandstone now though as there is a good chance this is all made at the same factory.

crabtree said:
Man that sucks. Seems like you can't catch a break. Do you happen to have any pics of the good side of that carpet? I'm trying to decide between Sandstone and Khaki and it's hard to tell from the little thumbnail pics online. I'm kinda scared about ordering sandstone now though as there is a good chance this is all made at the same factory.

I'm sure it is made at the same factory...I'm going to guess that this is a bad roll. Hopefully they get it right soon...I've read good reviews on it, so I'd guess it was just a bad roll.

I too was conflicted on the sandstone vs. Khaki....I chose the darker of the two due to dirt not showing as much on darker fabric.

Here are a couple pics of the sandstone color....

Attachments

• DSC06127.JPG
    DSC06127.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,579
Good news on the carpet. They agreed it's defective and have shipped a new order to me.
Worked on the boat a little more over the weekend. Refit the back deck. Drilled holes for the pedestal mounts on the elevated front deck and on the floor in front of the middle seat.

Attachments

• 2012-02-12 20.07.23.jpg
    2012-02-12 20.07.23.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,550
Sent the fish locator back to Humminbird today...insurance was $$, but no way I was sending it without it.

Picked up a couple of items...found these self drilling screws at Menards for $7/100 for securing wood to metal. Should work for attaching the decking to the seats.

Stopped by a plastics mfg and picked this block of high density nylon material up..thinking about using it for the transducer mount on the transom. They just gave it to me for free as it was scrap, so that was nice....one thing they said was glue doesn't stick to it..recommended me using a grinder to roughen it up first. We'll see...haven't made up my mind yet..may just drill the holes and use 5200 to seal.

Attachments

• 2012-02-13 15.52.09.jpg
    2012-02-13 15.52.09.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,524
  • 2012-02-13 15.51.53.jpg
    2012-02-13 15.51.53.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,524
Picked up a couple of items...found these self drilling screws at Menards for $7/100 for securing wood to metal. Should work for attaching the decking to the seats

Kevin, It will be interesting how the self drillers work. It would save a lot of time. I had to drill pilot holes for all mine.

gillhunter said:
Kevin, It will be interesting how the self drillers work. It would save a lot of time. I had to drill pilot holes for all mine.
The way these work is the fins at the bottom of the screw bore the hole in the wood, once they meet metal, they snap off allowing for self tapping of the metal. (in theory) .
I'll let you know how it goes.

KevinWI said:
gillhunter said:
The way these work is the fins at the bottom of the screw bore the hole in the wood, once they meet metal, they snap off allowing for self tapping of the metal. (in theory) .
I'll let you know how it goes.

I doubt they are supposed to snap off. The reason I say this is then the snapped off part would be in the way and how would you have a hole in the metal for the screw to tap.

I believe the tip just acts as a drill and cuts wood and metal. The wood is sort of tapped by the tread but because the metal takes longer to drill it cleans/stripps that thread out of the wood allowing it to pull the wood and metal together after you get into the metal. ...

I used these (or something similar) on an old camper I had. They worked pretty good. Saves the time of switching bits and drilling each hole and then putting each screw in. But its not as easy as just putting in a screw...

Look at the pic...there are tiny fins on the side about 1/4" up from the bottom of the screw....they are designed to snap off when they meet metal and then allow for the tip to drill thru the metal and the threads to "self tap" into the metal drawing the wood down. If they didn't the hole in the metal would be too large to tap.

Latest posts