1648 Semi-V Jon Mod (Completed)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news and bad news....
The good news is the new carpet arrived...bad news is that it is just as junky as the first. it is quite apparent that it came off the same roll.

[youtube]ZO1OVfoiRzU[/youtube]

Wow that is a bummer. Looks like the glue on the back is bad to me, but Im not a carpet expert. You should see if they can send you another color......at the very least It would not be from the same roll.

bigwave said:
Wow that is a bummer. Looks like the glue on the back is bad to me, but Im not a carpet expert. You should see if they can send you another color......at the very least It would not be from the same roll.
Yes, it is the glue...almost like it's old and dried out...crumbly...the pile is ok

After Overtons saw the video of the carpet, they issued me a refund....that fast...they had no explanation other than an apology and they are looking into why the second carpet wasn't inspected prior to shipment....so now I'll order it elsewhere....more expensive, but hopefully better.

Here is a video showing a test of the Teks self drilling screws.

[youtube]UqxxelyNi2w[/youtube]

Just got off the phone with the President of Lancer Carpets....he called me personally to apologize for "making my life a living hell" as he put it.lol :) . He said typically they inspect a return to make sure that the 2nd batch is better than average when it's shipped, but there was no proof that was ever done. He stated that along with an apology and full refund, he would like to personally go out and inspect the carpet himself, watch it being cut and ship it to me overnight free of charge. I accepted his apology and offer. Said he'd like to call me in a week or better to see how this worked. He was very nice. He wasn't fully convinced that the carpet was defective based on the video, but wanted me to ship back the carpet to him (they would provide shipping label) for testing.

So, I had already called bass pro shops and placed an order for replacement, but canceled it. Free works for me. This is a company trying to make things right, which I can appreciate.

Good news on the carpet, free is good so long as it is acceptable condition!

My boat has the livewell already built in the seat and I believe the well sits on the bottom of the boat. Does yours drain into the boat or out of the bottom?

I had not considered and aerator in addition to freshwater pump, do you use both at the same time? Is that primarily to keep large tournament fish alive?

Thanks, your boat is coming along great!

fullpage said:
Good news on the carpet, free is good so long as it is acceptable condition!

My boat has the livewell already built in the seat and I believe the well sits on the bottom of the boat. Does yours drain into the boat or out of the bottom?

I had not considered and aerator in addition to freshwater pump, do you use both at the same time? Is that primarily to keep large tournament fish alive?

Thanks, your boat is coming along great!
Thanks for the compliments....lots of good ideas on this site...hopefully the carpet comes right this time.
I just put the livewell in a month ago so I haven't used it yet...I had it custom made from a cardboard mockup. I have a timer installed on each switch for each pump...so I can manual operate both or auto operate both at the same time or one at a time...it will all depend on the conditions outside. In the event that I am trailering my boat with bait in the livewell, I can put the aerator on timer also.
My livewell drains out the side of the boat...it may need a bit of tweeking. If you scroll back a bit in this thread, you can see the video I shot of how it works.

Anyone have any ideas for a front trolling motor mount? This boat came with a "kicker motor" mount on the front, but to be honest it's big and obstructs my view. I'd love to get a retractable trolling motor mount to retrofit my trolling motor, but I haven't seen that they make one for that.

file.php

Just realized you said retrofit. I saw someone made a collapsible mount for a transom TM on the bow. I don't remember where though. I'll try and find it.

Edit: here it is
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23441

You seemed way calmer than I would be in that video Kevin. Congrats to you for getting them to make it right! Nice work on the boat too by the way.

Kevin, Check out the TM mount on New River Rat's project.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20992

Jay415 said:
Just realized you said retrofit. I saw someone made a collapsible mount for a transom TM on the bow. I don't remember where though. I'll try and find it.

Edit: here it is
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23441
Although ingenious and I'm sure it works very well, I'm looking for more of a manufactured specific mount.

lowblazah said:
You seemed way calmer than I would be in that video Kevin. Congrats to you for getting them to make it right! Nice work on the boat too by the way.
I can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. :wink: The vid was intended for the manufacturer. I made my point without going off like a shotgun. 8)

gillhunter said:
Kevin, Check out the TM mount on New River Rat's project.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20992
That is unique...but I'd rather not cut off the bracket. I know it works and if I cut it wrong or it doesn't work for my setup, then I'm screwed and have to purchase another.

Thanks for the ideas though guys!

<<<<EDIT>>>> I found "the edge" mount, but for $200 I'll just buy a new trolling motor with mount included if I'm going to shell out that kind of coin.

KevinWI said:
Look at the pic...there are tiny fins on the side about 1/4" up from the bottom of the screw....they are designed to snap off when they meet metal and then allow for the tip to drill thru the metal and the threads to "self tap" into the metal drawing the wood down. If they didn't the hole in the metal would be too large to tap.

I see it now...very cool...watched the video too...those look like just the thing then. The ones I used didn't have those little fins. I was thinking you meant the end broke off. ....maybe I didn't read it right....LOL...it happens some times..

Glad they are standing behind thier products and making it right. I know I would much rather deal with a company like that than someone who doesn't have the time for helping the customers.

Kevin here are some other options I found. I just can't say how good any of them are.

https://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Universal-Trolling-Motor-Bracket/product/58551/127874

https://www.basspro.com/Pro-Controll-EZ-Mount-for-Transom-Trolling-Motors/product/10210607/45549

It is good to see an american company with good customer service.....now if we could just get more of this kind of product Made In America again. =D>

Latest posts