New Jon Rebuild/Conversion Build Thread COMPLETED! 4-30-12

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wcbond4 said:
Well I stayed away from PT wood, and I got my bunks done!

2012-04-13084547.jpg

2012-04-13084611800x600.jpg

2012-04-13084558.jpg

Looks great bro!! good to see another dodge man too! lol

Went to the store the other day and picked up some stuff for the boat.
aireator
bilge pump
battery
battery box
rod holders
winch strap
bow and stern battery powered lights
seat mounts
seat bases

2012-04-16192650.jpg

Also picked up a couple new seats and a new Lowrance X-4 depth finder and an extra used prop.

I sold the tiller handle trolling motor I had purchased for this boat and bought a Minn Kota Edge foot controller off CL for $200.00 (guy threw in a free new battery box and a new spare trailer tire!)
2012-04-16192712.jpg

Got the outside of my boat sprayed last night! Came out great.

2012-04-16195608.jpg

It took a lot more than I hoped. I kinda figured I'd only have enough to do the outside. It was kinda hard to get good pictures since its in the garage.

2012-04-17085839.jpg

2012-04-17085826.jpg

This is an up close shot of the texture.
2012-04-17085817.jpg

Now I don't have anything to do until I can flip her back over. :cry: :cry:

Thanks guys.

Dockside, Raptor is probably the best DIY kit available. You cant hardly chip it with a screwdriver and a hammer!

wcbond4 said:
Thanks guys.

Dockside, Raptor is probably the best DIY kit available. You cant hardly chip it with a screwdriver and a hammer!

I wanted to get something like that that I could spray myself. Unfortunately I dont have an air compressor and didn't factor one into the budget for my build. I tried to sweet talk my wife into letting me get one, but apparently family vacations are more important than tools and fishing boats, if you can believe that, hahahaha! Nah but maybe on my next build I'll be able to do something like that. Steelflex will do for now!

Dockside85 said:
wcbond4 said:
Thanks guys.

I wanted to get something like that that I could spray myself. Unfortunately I dont have an air compressor and didn't factor one into the budget for my build. I tried to sweet talk my wife into letting me get one, but apparently family vacations are more important than tools and fishing boats, if you can believe that, hahahaha! Nah but maybe on my next build I'll be able to do something like that. Steelflex will do for now!

HAHA! :LOL2:

My wife has the same crazy ideas!!!

Actually if you had a buddy with a small 5 gallon or 4 gallon it would work. Thats what I spray mine with. It just takes longer :D

Or you can try my strategy... I just keep asking the wife until shes tired of saying no and me asking :LOL2:

JamesM56alum said:
Awesome man looks great

Thanks man!

I got the new winch strap and new bow stop put on the trailer last night. Today Ill be flipping boat back on the trailer so I can finish out the inside.

I've been trying to think how I could wire my TM without spending a ton on wiring. Found an old 10 or 8 gauge extension cord that's missing an end...it will be perfect!

wcbond4 said:
JamesM56alum said:
Awesome man looks great

Thanks man!

I got the new winch strap and new bow stop put on the trailer last night. Today Ill be flipping boat back on the trailer so I can finish out the inside.

I've been trying to think how I could wire my TM without spending a ton on wiring. Found an old 10 or 8 gauge extension cord that's missing an end...it will be perfect!

How long after spraying do you have to let it sit before you can flip it? I want to get my steelflex done but I have to put 6 rivets through the hull so I'm waiting do it until after the rivets are in so it will seal over them well. Getting itchy to get it on there already.

I'm also looking for a trolling motor wire to go from the front to the battery in the middle of the back bench. Hadn't thought of an extension cord! Cheapest spools on Amazon with Prime are like $20 each. I've also heard of guys cutting the handles off of 10 gauge jumper cables and using those. The bundle would be thick, but well insulated!

Dockside85 said:
wcbond4 said:
JamesM56alum said:
Awesome man looks great

Thanks man!

How long after spraying do you have to let it sit before you can flip it? I want to get my steelflex done but I have to put 6 rivets through the hull so I'm waiting do it until after the rivets are in so it will seal over them well. Getting itchy to get it on there already.

I'm also looking for a trolling motor wire to go from the front to the battery in the middle of the back bench. Hadn't thought of an extension cord! Cheapest spools on Amazon with Prime are like $20 each. I've also heard of guys cutting the handles off of 10 gauge jumper cables and using those. The bundle would be thick, but well insulated!

I'm not sure about the steel-flex, but it would probably depend on the humidity in your area. Right now we are at about 90-100% so I let mine sit for 2 days. You gotta remember too, just because it feels dry to the touch..doesn't mean its dry all the way through. Light handling wouldn't hurt it, but letting it set on the trailer might make lines in the bottom of your hull.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about jumper cables..but I do have a bad set of those too! I'm starting to think all my hording might just pay off.

Got the tin back on the trailer!

2012-04-18130322.jpg

Figured out I'm going to have to reconfigure my bump stop AGAIN! Grrr.

2012-04-18130330.jpg

I guess thats why you should adjust your trailer when you still have your boat on it! I got everything too low and my bump stop hits my eye bolt!

Looks awesome man! I'm debating on whether I want to paint my trailer or just leave it the bare galvanized metal. If I did paint it I wouldn't know what color to do.

Dockside85 said:
Looks awesome man! I'm debating on whether I want to paint my trailer or just leave it the bare galvanized metal. If I did paint it I wouldn't know what color to do.

I had actually debated the same thing...then I realized how long it was going to take to get every bit of rust and paint off of mine...so I painted it! :D

WELL....

For anyone whos interested...I think I'm going to scrap the deck idea. At least for now :?

I started laying it out...decided it was more than I wanted to deal with right now. AND I think when the time comes...I'd rather do it with aluminum anyway. Was going to use wood for cost.

All thats left to do now is to

finish sanding the interior
paint interior
install aerator and bilge
install seat brackets
install fish finder and TM
build live well seat
adjust trailer set up
THEN GO FISHING!

Latest posts