everything steelflex

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody in Ontario Canada Order this stuff? I want to order but wondering if they will ship it over the border, i know gluvit is unavailable up here now.if so how much will it cost me? and does it come in Grey?

Thanks
Bill

bdbarrie said:
Anybody in Ontario Canada Order this stuff? I want to order but wondering if they will ship it over the border, i know gluvit is unavailable up here now.if so how much will it cost me? and does it come in Grey?

Thanks
Bill

It does come in gray, that is what I ordered (they include the pigment to add).

Seems like I've read on here that some canadians have ordered it. Search this thread or the site and see if you can find it.

hallzyballzy said:
Does anybody know the shelf life on steelflex? I ordered a gallon of black for my 14' jon boat. But it looks like I'm going to hold off on decking it out. Might be buying a house in the next month or so if everything goes good. Any ideas?

The folks at Fasco told me about one year.

I was wondering the cure time on steel flex, Could I get away with painting in a heated garage ? or does it take a few days to cure? I wouldn't want to run heaters more then 2 days straight but 24 hours at a time between coats would work... if I have to wait till spring I will but I'd like to have this thing in the water by april and counting on weather in NJ is like playing russian roulette. I havn't called fasco yet, figured somebody on here could help me out. Thanx in advance!

downtofish said:
I was wondering the cure time on steel flex, Could I get away with painting in a heated garage ? or does it take a few days to cure? I wouldn't want to run heaters more then 2 days straight but 24 hours at a time between coats would work... if I have to wait till spring I will but I'd like to have this thing in the water by april and counting on weather in NJ is like playing russian roulette. I havn't called fasco yet, figured somebody on here could help me out. Thanx in advance!

I was wondering the same thing 8)

Regarding the "regular" Steelflex:

I've read this thread through and through multiple times, yet cannot see any specific example wherein this stuff was actually noted to be difficult to paint over. I do see where someone a few pages in says "they heard" paint did not stick, but no specific example. Thereafter a small portion of the posts seem to agree, but not sure why.

Jerry at Fasco told me it could be painted over, no problem. Someone toward the end stated that he said it could not, that only Steelflex could go over Steelflex.

Very confusing. Anyone here have direct personal experience painting over the regular Steelflex? If so, how did it work out? Any flaking, separating, peeling?

I'm doing a 14' Jon boat project, and the person before be let barnicals eat away at the bottom of the hull, Can I spray steelflex on the bottom to strengthen it? If you take a screw driver and stab the bottom you can puncher it, but not the sides.

I was thinking bedliner might work...

125temple said:
I'm doing a 14' Jon boat project, and the person before be let barnicals eat away at the bottom of the hull, Can I spray steelflex on the bottom to strengthen it? If you take a screw driver and stab the bottom you can puncher it, but not the sides.

....SAY WHAT? Personally if the hull is in that shape I wouldn't consider it sea worthy under any circumstances no matter what you coated the bottom with!!

Galveston340 said:
125temple said:

....SAY WHAT? Personally if the hull is in that shape I wouldn't consider it sea worthy under any circumstances no matter what you coated the bottom with!!

Yeah, I know where you are coming from. It's a project. I'l fix it.

I just did my steelflex yesterday and I feel it turned out well. I plan on doing a some sort of write up/ walkthrough because I took pics as I was doing it bbut we will see if I get to it.

My biggest piece of advice.....use squeegees to spread it around on your boat, it works 1000 times better then pushing it with a foam roller. Get different sizes (widths) so you can get in the tight spots, I used my ice scraper that had a squeegee on one side.

Once it was spread around I used a large ~10" foam roller (high quality) mainly to get an even texture and redistribute if it began to sag at all.

Also I ended up with a neat color....I think (the boat is still inside so we will see when it hits real light). I ordered the olive drab and the gray because I was undecided, neither of them were the shade I was looking for so I mixed them. Roughly 5/8 of the olive drab and about 3/8 of the grey turned out pretty good.

Pics to come sooner or later...

mdue151 said:
I have a 12 foot riveted v hull...what steel flex would I need and how much?

1 gallon is more than enough for the exterior. 1 gallon come in 2 ½-gallon containers (1 for each part).

The regular stuff is by far the most preferred (on here, anyway).

How does this stuff hold up to scratches/scrapes/running aground? I launch out of a couple rivers that have no docks, and you have to beach it to land.

Was thinking that paint may not be the best idea in this situation.

groundshock said:
How does this stuff hold up to scratches/scrapes/running aground? I launch out of a couple rivers that have no docks, and you have to beach it to land.

Not good.

Does steelflex go over the top of resins, epoxys, etc? if i buy a boat covered with a jb weld material on -EVERY- freakin rivet, can I put my steelflex over this and be fine?

should i sand it strip it off, then steelflex?

any ideas and opinions welcome. Thanks. PS - could a guy epoxy the inside of a boat *(rivets)* for added 'just in case' protection, or is this a redundant step

groundshock said:

Same problem that I have. I beach at launch all the time. So, what say you guys? how does this stuff hold up to sand an rock abrasions? I ad originally guys planned to touch up the hull often... Until I saw this thread today. I had never heard of this stuff.

One more Steelflex question for any one that knows. I ordered it and I have 1 gallon in the two half gallon containers and the pigment. To save a step in the mixing process, can you simply add all the pigment into the neutral base beforehand so you only have to mix the neutral base and the clear hardener? Or would that throw off the 1:1 mixing ratio?

Read the directions, I think your suppose to mix the pigment into the base if i recall. Plus this keeps color uniform, you dont wanna mix pigment every batch, you,ll never get it the exact same. To answer the question tho, You still only have 1 part base, and 1 part hardner. The pigment doesn't factor in to the equation, as it doesn't do anything to affect the chemical reaction cure.

Dockside85 said:
One more Steelflex question for any one that knows. I ordered it and I have 1 gallon in the two half gallon containers and the pigment. To save a step in the mixing process, can you simply add all the pigment into the neutral base beforehand so you only have to mix the neutral base and the clear hardener? Or would that throw off the 1:1 mixing ratio?

:)

Latest posts