What's some things you need to bring while going fishing?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kochy

Reaction score
Well I haven't really seen too many threads about this sort of topic, but what beside Fishing tackle do you put in your storage boxes and bins, like what do you load your boat with. Today, I went and got a lot of pointers from a friend of my dad's and he had a lot of stuff inside of his boat such as a Walmart Toolkit, Extra tools, Toilet Paper, Extra jackets, Rain coats, Sunglasses all sorts of stuff, Tylenol Advil alot of stuff. I'm trying to get ideas on what to like put in my boat so when I'm out "fitching" I ain't Itching to go back to shore because if I have to go to the bathroom or I forgot something or some sort like that.

Hopefully we can keep this active and make this some type of like information type thread that people can come too and get ideas of what to put into their boats. So please help me out and help the others out that will look at this thread. Happy Boating/Fishing!

Now that the important stuff has been mentioned....

fuses
cotter pins (for prop and trailer bearings)
extra nut for prop
extra prop
extra primer bulb
sunblock
bug spray
stringers
heavy dikes (wire cutters) in tool kit, might need to cut a hook

Along with tools (1/4 socket set, phillips & flat screwdrivers, needle nose and slip joint pliers).

I also carry about 10 feet of the correct size rope for the recoil starter (no estart).

Atlas brand underwater epoxy.

Black tape, super glue, hot melt glue, rag, zip ties, small hose clamps, 2 2' pieces of fuel line, and a spare primer bulb.

Along with many of the previously mentioned stuff, I also carry a small rope step ladder in both of my boats. I had to climb back into my boat once and found it wasn't all that easy when you're in deep water. I was able to climb back on board once using the horizontal thingy (sorry, senior moment) on the lower unit but had to have someone sit on the front of the boat.

In My Dry Box:

2 flat screw drivers
2 Philips screwdrivers
Small crescent wrench
Heavy Dikes/pliers
2 hunting knives
battery tester
electrical tester
electrical tape
Ibuprofen
2 D-cell batteries
Spare spotlight bulb
100 pc sealed first aid kit
flashlight style bow light and clamp
Bug repellent
Toilet paper
All boat related paperwork(registration/insurance ect)

Stays in boat
Life jackets (6) (stowed)
Throw-able flotation devices (2) (stowed)
Bow line (tied)
Stern line(tied)
Anchors and lines (2) (tied)
Fire extinguisher (Attached)
Whistle (tied)
Spare Sunglasses
Stern light (attached, stowed)
3 million max power 12 volt spot light
Large Mag light
cigarette adapter for battery
Battery and box
Gas tank, line, bulb
Paddle
Plug (attached)
Spare plug
Net
Outboard Motor oil

Other stuff I usually take
Bucket
fish basket
tackle box (contains rain ponchos, small first aid kit, filet knife,catfish skinners, Needle nose pliers, small screwdrivers(Flat and Philips) Knife sharpener, heavy stringer and a little tackle)
Rods and reels
flash lights
Bait cooler
Cooler
Wide brimmed hat
sunglasses

Stuff I need to add
Spare bow light light bulb
Spare stern light light bulb
Spare trailer light light bulb (2)
Spare gas pump bulb
spare spark plugs (2)
Spare key
Spare line
Spare tire
Spare pull rope
Leather gloves

everything dragonman carries plus binoculars, rainsuit and sun block and a small hatchet.it looks like a lot of stuff but all mine fits in 2 small waterproof bins except the lifejackets.

Must have besides the mandatory life jackets, oars, anchors, etc:
1. Drinking Water- A hot day will dehydrate you FAST.
2. Hook cutters- I have had a few partners put hooks into their extremities. Why pay a Doctor big money to remove a hook, when I can do it for free.
3. Bug Dope.
4. Pliers - For pulling lures from the toothy critters.
5. Polarized sunglasses.
6. Finger nail clippers - I'm one of the unfortunate one's who can't cut line with my teeth. And yes, I have teeth. All of them to be exact.
7. Sun tan lotion
8. Advil
9. Lake Maps
10. My Dog

I came up with an idea a few years ago when I fish backwoods lakes, especially with multiple islands, where it's easy to get lost. I bring one of those solar powered lawn lights, and stick it into the area where I launch my boat. When night falls, it's easy for me to find the boat landing again. I now have a GPS, so that makes this idea a little obsolete now.

Another thing I bring is an a piece of a white birch tree piece (usually a 1 foot long stick and about 2 inches in diameter) with with some mono and a lead bell sinker attached to it. If I find a hotspot I use the piece of birch tree as a marker buoy. And it doesn't draw fisherman like a big neon green buoy. Most people think it's just an old stick floatin around. And you can see that white birch bark from a long ways away.

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere above, and it's pretty much a given that everyone has one: Cell phone (ensure battery is fully charged), in some type of water-proof container. I put my phone in a standard Ziplock sandwich bag, make sure it's "zipped" closed properly, then stick it in my pants pocket, or lay it on the deck close-by where it won't get knocked over the side. Seeings how I don't have one of those iPhone/Smart-type phones, my old MotoRazr doesn't take up too much room in my pocket ;) .

Dang, 11 replies just overnight. That's good, I was told about fuses and such like that, and a hatchet came with my boat. Look like I'm gunna be making a list and heading over to Wallie World and load my boat up. Any other suggestions?

Snacks
Cold beverages
Basic tools
Cell phone
Camera
Bug spray
Sunblock
Chapstick

I suppose its a good idea to have a bunch of spare parts on board, but they are always boat/motor specific ... and I switch boats so often it doesn't make sense to keep buying new spare parts.

The absolute best thing you can do is keep your motor, fuel system, and electrical system well maintained.

Waterwings said:
Didn't see it mentioned anywhere above, and it's pretty much a given that everyone has one: Cell phone (ensure battery is fully charged), in some type of water-proof container. I put my phone in a standard Ziplock sandwich bag, make sure it's "zipped" closed properly, then stick it in my pants pocket, or lay it on the deck close-by where it won't get knocked over the side. Seeings how I don't have one of those iPhone/Smart-type phones, my old MotoRazr doesn't take up too much room in my pocket ;) .

I was given really good advice by the owner of a kayak store about electronics and water (after my cell phone took a swim). She uses sandwich bags, three of them to layer the protection of cell phones, etc. Since doing that, I haven't damaged my cell phone or key remote while fishing. I usually get really wet when surf fishing so her advice paid off. The funny thing is when I killed my cell phone I was loading my boat onto the trailer at the ramp. One sandwich bag was not enough as I forgot I had it in my pocket of my swim trunks.

I'm guessing the OP hasn't taken a Boating Safety Course; strongly suggest you start there prior to loading and launching... Lots of links on that if you serach the forum. Good luck and enjoy!

Latest posts