Best deck waterproofing before gluing carpet??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jigngrub said:
The foam backing on carpet is the Devils lap dog! It's the weakest link in the carpet, glue, sealer application and helps retain any water/moisture that gets on the carpet.

You won't pull marine vinyl off like that when glued with cc.
True, but I'm not testing the strength of the carpet. I'm testing the strength of the adhesive. and if the carpet is pulled from the center not an edge, it doesn't separate like that.

Ok after 32 hours of soaking the Contact Cement shows signs of failure. It did not separate on it's own though. It peeled of like a sticker. Unless the boat is submerged and I forget about it, Contact Cement should be fine. The white brush marks is the contact cement that was not covered by carpet and absorbed water.
IMG_2271.jpg

I just found Henry 663 locally. So I'm gonna give that a try. It was recommended to me originally and many have used it with success. I just couldn't find it. Until now that is.

Directions say water resistant after 5 days and roll with 75 lb roller. Both of which I didn't do with the Roberts. Maybe it needed that? Who knows? Rolling would keep the glue thinner and maybe increasing strength. More is not always better.

I did have another thought though. One con of contact cement there is no resticking after wetness failure. The Roberts on the other hand restuck and regained strength after drying out. Once the carpet is down nobody's gonna be pulling on it to remove it. So I don't see any reason not to use Roberts either. I think it's now just down to preference of application and patience of time to properly setup.

Henry 663 was the same as Roberts. Both are good and prob won't cause any problems unless you store your boat outside uncovered or fish a lot in the rain and don't let the boat dry out. These glues can't take heavy water for long periods.

I've decided to go with contact cement because it's an instant adhesion of the carpet after coating carpet and wood and letting them dry a 1/2 hour or so. Also I feel there will be less of a mess (no glue squishing out of the edges and such) and application is with a paint brush instead of a trowel.

My project is in my signature. I'll update as soon as work is picture worthy.

As I am getting ready to finally start carpeting. I went to my local hardware store that has everything! I always go there for those hard to find things. I never thought about looking for carpet adhesive there. Well as I'm waiting for the salesperson to fill my hardware order I took a stroll around the store and found the original glue I was looking for.

HENRY® 263 WeatherPro™
Outdoor Carpet Adhesive
https://www.wwhenry.com/content.aspx?id=127&View=Product&cID=79&pID=84

Quoted from site:
Waterproof after two hours
Bonds To:
HENRY 263 WeatherPro Outdoor Carpet Adhesive bonds outdoor carpet and artificial turf to concrete, asphalt paving, abraded fiberglass substrates, roughened aluminum boat decks, and exterior- or marine-grade plywood decking
So it's made for what we are doing here!

Just for the hell of it I ran another quick test and it performed awesome!
Roberts and Henry's 663 absorbed water like a sponge after just 3 hours. I only let the Henry's 263 dry about 18 hours then soaked it in water for 14 about hours and it is the same as when it was dry! It repels water and is truly waterproof! Adhesion is great!

Henry's 263 dry time about 18 hours
IMG_1076.jpg

Henry's 263 after soaking in water for 14 hours
IMG_1097.jpg

This is what Roberts looked like after just 3 hours soaking in water
IMG_2247.jpg

So my final decision on adhesive is to use both Henry's 263 and Contact cement. I made the descision out of ease of use and quick adhesion.

I will use Henry's 263 on the surface then lay the carpet roll and let dry for at least 24 hours. Then I use contact cement for the edge wrap. Using both products for the best way they perform.

This is a great thread. I am definitely going to use the Henrys 263.

One question i had is, while reading the label on the Chapco (which is what they have at Lowes here), i saw that it said it not for use on treated or sealed surfaces.
So should i put my 3 coats of spar urethane on my plywood before carpeting, or not???

They say that because they can't guarantee compatibility. I had no problem with 3 coats of spar urethane. All tests pieces were coated also. Adhesion is very good.

Jay415 said:
They say that because they can't guarantee compatibility. I had no problem with 3 coats of spar urethane. All tests pieces were coated also. Adhesion is very good.

sounds good. Thanks!

Bouncing this one...

Henry's 263 is getting hard to find... so if you planned on using it, you may want to

Amazon has been out for a while now. I've ordered it twice online at various online hardware stores just to get refunded when they tell me it's out of stock and they have no idea when it will be back in. My local hardware store carries Henry/Ardex products, but they can't order the 263. They can get 663.

I actually had to call the manufacturer and find a local carpet supplier near me. They've placed an order for it, but again they don't know when or if it will come in.

awesome post. so i guess the question is, if i cant get 263, what is the next bext thing? we might as well get that established since it doesnt look like 263 will always be an option. anymore tests done?

I actually had it come in through a local Carpet Shop!

Call Henry Headquarters and ask for local suppliers that can order it (they can't sell it direct).

The W.W. Henry Company
400 Ardex Park Drive
Aliquippa, PA 15001

800-232-4832
724-203-8000

They were able to give me a couple local shops and the first one I called placed an order for 2 gallons, and it arrived in about a week. I would try that first.

Vermonster said:
I actually had it come in through a local Carpet Shop!

Call Henry Headquarters and ask for local suppliers that can order it (they can't sell it direct).

The W.W. Henry Company
400 Ardex Park Drive
Aliquippa, PA 15001

800-232-4832
724-203-8000

They were able to give me a couple local shops and the first one I called placed an order for 2 gallons, and it arrived in about a week. I would try that first.

Roger that, thanks! In the meantime, I did some looking and the 263 is solvent based, so I am going to look around and see if I can't find a similiar solvent based adhesive. I will let you know what I find.

i used roberts 6700 glue and thompsons waterseal. i figured my carpet will need a change before the wood rots or de laminates.i store my boat in the heated garage so i really didn't worry about water. plus it will be easier to unscrew/remove the deck if i can pull up most of the carpet.

Quick status update on this awesome thread Jay415 started. I swung by a local carpet shop and purchased Anchor 986. It's completely waterproof carpet adhesive. So I am hoping it will perform as well as Henry 263 in the water test. I was going to order the Henry 263 but the salesman told me about Anchor 986 and the fact that it is cheaper.

I will run the test tonight and let you know.

I wanted to update this thread quick and let everyone know that if you can't find the Henry's, Anchor 986 will work too, it passed the water test and is completely waterproof.

Latest posts