14' Sears GameFisher

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trueblue1970

Reaction score
Brought home a 14' Sears Gamefisher w/ trailer yesterday. Was fortuante to sell my 12' on CL within a day and parlay that into this one. Great deal as PO just wanted it gone. Not sure how much or how little I will to it but it is pretty much a clean canvas. The PO didnt do much to it at all. I do have to paint it as the old paint has faded and redo my transom. And re carpet the bunk on the trailer. I like the wide bench seats and all the foam is still there. No holes and doesnt leak! Overall a nice solid boat...a 1992 14' with a 46' beam. A nice project for me and my 2 boys to work on. As soon as I parked her, the pole holding rig was removed, as well at the seat which did not swivel. Just one pic for now...

Happy 4th to everybody.

Attachments

• 14' jon.png
    14' jon.png
    516.5 KB · Views: 5,131
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 4,623
  • new.jpg
    new.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 4,623
Thanks 6. For now I have a new Minn Kota 55lb thrust for local freshwater (city will not allow gas motors). Im hoping ot be brave enough to use this on the skinnys though....have yet to experience a wake with a boat like this. What sice motor would you suggest? One of those 9.9s?

Ok, well I am finally making progress. I went ahead and stripped the boat, primed it with Rustoleum self etching primer and painted it with Rustoleum "Army Green"... Yes, I know for some boring but I like boring lol. Im thinking about doing some camo job using some leaves, grass, fern etc. Not sure yet, but my son wants to and he usually talks me into things.

Next up is the transom. Ive been reading some older posts on here to get ideas. Just have to figure the thickness of the plywood. Should the outer part of the transom wood be 2 pieces glued together? I know to use Spar. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks for all the amazing posts I see on here. I love this site.

The sun is bright today, sorry for the 1st pic, too much of a shadow and it looks dark. I tried to get the same angle from that very 1st pic when I brought her home.

Attachments

• jon3.jpg
    jon3.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 4,850
  • jon2.jpg
    jon2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 4,850
  • jon1.jpg
    jon1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 4,850
  • strip.jpg
    strip.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 4,601
Thanks maestro. My phone does not take great pics. The boat looked worse when I brought it home and it looks better after being painted....of course you cant tell from the pics lol. I have a clean canvas now and I think im going to keep it simple. Plywood on the benches with carpet or hydro turf, with the screwed in sliding seat brackets so the seats can be shifted. I also think I may go with the plastic seats that have the cushions built in...so less weight on the boat. If anybody has them let me know how they hold up. Thanks...

Decided to do a camo job. Used fern (khaki) and palm frond (dark earth). The fern print shows up well in person, but hard to see in the pics. Blame that on my poor camera phone. Well painting is complete, now its time to work on the transom.

Attachments

• camo3.jpg
    camo3.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 4,797
  • camo2.jpg
    camo2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 4,797
  • camo.jpg
    camo.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 4,797
Hey thanks. It was a last minute decision to go with the camo. My phone pics are terrible and it looks better in person. Now I have to decide what im going to do as far as wood work goes. I like the hydro turf and the samples they sent to me. My plan is to carpet plywood to put on the benches and I bought these tracks that screw into the bench. The track is actually an adjustable that will allow my seat to slide back and forth and even remove the seat when I want. Im doing this on the rear bench so I can move around when operating the motor. Love your mods by the way, great job

How did you screw your plywood into the benches? What did you use? And did you screw in over the carpet so you can remove whenever you want?

I love the seat track idea! I may have to use that on my back bench!!! As far as attaching the carpeted plywood to my benches I just use sheet metal screws and screw thru the carpet and wood down to the benches. I use one in each corner and so far it's worked pretty good

inlovewithsurfin said:
I love the seat track idea! I may have to use that on my back bench!!! As far as attaching the carpeted plywood to my benches I just use sheet metal screws and screw thru the carpet and wood down to the benches. I use one in each corner and so far it's worked pretty good

Thanks, seems easy enough. Just trying to decide if im going with hydro turf. And if I go that route, should I just glue it directly to the benches or onto plywood. (seats will be mounted on benches)

I like the looks of the turf stuff but I look at it and wonder if it would catch hooks easier than carpet does? I know I've hada few hooks get caught in the carpet!

As far as gluing it strait to the bench or to plywood... I would use plywood just in case you ever have to re-do it. That way you won't have to deal with taking the carpet and clue off again.

inlovewithsurfin said:
I like the looks of the turf stuff but I look at it and wonder if it would catch hooks easier than carpet does? I know I've hada few hooks get caught in the carpet!

As far as gluing it strait to the bench or to plywood... I would use plywood just in case you ever have to re-do it. That way you won't have to deal with taking the carpet and clue off again.

Thanks for the input. It looks like im going to go with carpeted ply on the benches. After stripping, priming and then painting...id hate to have to do that all over again when I want to change things up. I like the idea of removing 4 screws to make a change.

And from the hydro turf sample I received, it didnt appear that hooks getting stuck would be an issue. I have to say it seems like a great product. Id love to put it on the flooring, but another member advised not to glue it to ply.

Why do you have to use glue at all? All of my carpet is just stapled down... No glue? If you take your time and pull it tight you might be surprised how good it turns out without any glue!

inlovewithsurfin said:
Why do you have to use glue at all? All of my carpet is just stapled down... No glue? If you take your time and pull it tight you might be surprised how good it turns out without any glue!

I was going to glue for sure had I used hydro turf. But im going with carpet for sure now as I ordered it at home depot. Picked up all of my wood and hardware. Should be done next week after the carpet gets in. I may do what you did and staple it down. Good idea....

Latest posts