1970 Alumacraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boejali

Reaction score
Finally got some pictures taken, before picture of the boat doesnt show all the peeling paint on the other side. In hindsight should have just stripped the sides and sanded the bottom but ya live and learn. Finished the trailer first now with work and life almost done with the exteriorfinished trailer.JPG

Attachments

• Trailer.jpg
    Trailer.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 2,430
  • Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 2,430
  • almost done.JPG
    almost done.JPG
    435.8 KB · Views: 2,430
Nice looking paint job on the green/silver two tone. Looks nostalgic/original in my opinion.

The goal is to have the boat and trailer match the truck. In 10 years when I get a new truck I'll redo the boat and trailer.

Very nice job on both the boat and trailer. What size tires are on your trailer? I have a Fisherman 150 which is probably much heavier than yours and the trailer has 8" tires and I'd like to put 12" or maybe 10" tires on it.

Finally get a couple days off to finishing stripping the paint and Isaac hits, good times. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a couple of dry hours.

12 in tires on the trailer

Got the hull stripped and sanded, using lights working at night I found all kinds of spots I missed and about 6 rivets I need to replace. The keel looks like it was dragged through gravel so while I work on the transom I am gonna re-read the steel flex thread, hadnt planned on using it but it might be worth a second look.

Attachments

• sanded.jpg
    sanded.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 2,241
HI Boejali,

I have a 53 alumacraft and I got mine flipped over as well... your pictures of the bottom look exactly like mine did... looks like someone drug it through gravel, rocks and everything else you could imagine...

Did you just wirebrush your bottom and sanded it down? What grit paper did you use?

I am thinking about SteelFlex myself to try to smooth out the bottom and help seal it a bit... would like to see yours once you get it done...

The temperature is dropping here rapidly so am not sure it will get done this winter...

Yours looks nice though... should be fun.

I used a combination of everything, I used the aircraft stripper and a 3M paint stripping wheel on most. This worked great on the paint above the waterline that wasnt primed. If I would have known how good that primer coat was below the waterline I would have just sanded it down. I used 120grit to sand it down and I used an old sponge type sander as my block to wrap the sand paper around, helped out around the rivets. I used a fine wirewheel on stubbord placed on on the thicker keel. Carefull with those, i screwed up once with the course brush and had to sand out the wheel marks. Still need to sand down the interior. Think I am gonna go with some type of flat gray on the interior and am toying with the idea of trying a 2 tone flex seal. Gray to the waterline and dark green above. The hardest part is working midnights and getting time during daylight hours to get things done.

I think I finally hit the right combination of forms and notarized affidavits. Lousiana Fish and Wildlife cashed the checks to get my numbers and title for my boat and motor.

Latest posts